Help choosing tow car

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
The 85% is only a recommendation, and its origins are shrouded in mystery, but it does represent a reasonable area for the towing ratio. But don't worry if your a couple of percent different - its not a legal requirement.

The most important thing is have an outfit that you can control safely:-
Look up the guidance on how to load your caravan to maximise stability.
Make sure your car and caravan are mechanically in good condition, especially check suspension and tyres.
You will need more time and a longer distance to pull out into traffic.
Give plenty of clearance to other vehicles and road users ,
And most of all remember there are lower speed limits when you are towing, and the limits are limits not targets.

Instability is always worse the faster you go, so if you do encounter the onset of any instability - slow down.
Thanks yeah some good info & the 85% definitely sounds like a good target for me as a novice caravanner

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
I do agree with J C Cloughie in what he says.
The 85% figure is based on some simple work carried out by Bath University for the Caravan Club many years ago. Since then there have been major improvements in the road holding and suspension of both cars and caravans and I think the figure is probably well out of date but without more research cannot be sure. What is indisputable though is that the tow car has to have enough weight to control the caravan so common sense says the more the car weighs in relation to the caravan the better.
What is also true is that the towing capability of cars vary and Range Rover models are always up there with the best. I would not advise a newcomer to go well beyond the 85% figure but see no problem with 90% given the tow car involved.
The towing capacity is based on restarting the trailer five times in succession on a 12% hill not on what it can safely tow on the motorway. The problem with caravans is that they tend to have large flat sides which are susceptible to side winds so more weight may be needed to control them than smaller trailers.
You might want to take your car unladen to a weighbridge to check its unladen weight as these can vary considerably from the base figure makers quote and add 75 kg for the driver and some luggage to get the figure used to calculate the towing ratio. At the end of the day though I think the Avante 868 will be too heavy for you.
Ok great info thanks. Good idea about the weighbridge, didn't realise that was a possibility. It seems though with our current car being 1200kg legal max towing limit we've got to change it. I'll get looking now that we've secured ths xplore 586 caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I see. So just for clarification that makes it illegal in actual law terms for me to pull heavier than 1200kg with the Qashqai? If for example I was involved in an accident, could I then be prosecuted for it & therefore rendering the insurance invalid because I've gone over the manufacturer recommended max?
It is illegal, but insurance would not be invalid otherwise every time you exceed the speed limit insurance is invalid. Third party will always remain in place however if towing the heavier caravan contributed towards the accident, the insurer can claim back from you what they paid to a third party and it could run into millions.
Some insurance companies will not insure the caravan if the caravan is over the 90% even though it is not a legal requirement. Not wise to exceed the limitations of the car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have looked at Towca.info as I’ve always found it very good. It actually does say that towing the preferred caravan with the Nissan would be above the legal limit. But the second paragraph contains an important “if” which states:

”The conclusion is, if the Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dCi [eco] and the Xplore 586 with a laden weight of 1370 kg, would not be legally too heavy that it would be a moderate match, only for experienced (caravan) drivers.”

Towcar has recognised that it’s the limits placed by Nissan that are the governing factor, and that if Nissan’s limits were higher the outfit could be suitable for an experienced driver. I can see where the confusion had arisen. One little word makes so much difference. 🤔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have looked at Towca.info as I’ve always found it very good. It actually does say that towing the preferred caravan with the Nissan would be above the legal limit. But the second paragraph contains an important “if” which states:

”The conclusion is, if the Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dCi [eco] and the Xplore 586 with a laden weight of 1370 kg, would not be legally too heavy that it would be a moderate match, only for experienced (caravan) drivers.”

Towcar has recognised that it’s the limits placed by Nissan that are the governing factor, and that if Nissan’s limits were higher the outfit could be suitable for an experienced driver. I can see where the confusion had arisen. One little word makes so much difference. 🤔

Interesting! A couple of years ago we were looking at buying a Peugeot 3008 and would be towing a small caravan. Strangely we found out that if we changed the rear tyres for a slightly larger version, the car could legally tow the caravan with a MTPM of 1200kgs. Previously it was limited to 1100kgs.
Similar with Vauxhall many years ago. You could tow for instance 1800kg if the car only had the driver, but the more you put in the car the less the car could tow. Weird!

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site

Yeah that make sense now you put it like that thanks. It's not worth risking it anyway I feel being a first time caravan tower even though I have towed a folding camper & a trailer for camping holidays in recent years. So a change of car looks a sensible choice.

I always thought it would come to this but was trying to decide if once we get into caravan touring we may wish to upgrade one day. I really like the layout of the Elddis Avante 868 for maybe future years. So trying to decide if to go for a car that could cope with that now to avoid another car change later if we decided to upgrade the caravan. Think probably going to search for a car focused on pulling the Xplore 586 & see how it goes for a few years.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sensible move-the Quashquai you have at 1200kg isn't the greatest match-there are however models that have a 2000kg towing capacity! So it's model dependent as with many cars. MAybe look at Kia sportage, Hyundai equivalent with the great warranties they offer-if you like the SUV style? But remember cars and estates make great towcars and have sometimes bigger boots-the Passat is a towcar award winner etc. Draw up a short list but before buying check out the exact model and its tow capacity-simply changing from auto to manual can make a huge difference in what manufacturers allow or rate them to tow.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
Sensible move-the Quashquai you have at 1200kg isn't the greatest match-there are however models that have a 2000kg towing capacity! So it's model dependent as with many cars. MAybe look at Kia sportage, Hyundai equivalent with the great warranties they offer-if you like the SUV style? But remember cars and estates make great towcars and have sometimes bigger boots-the Passat is a towcar award winner etc. Draw up a short list but before buying check out the exact model and its tow capacity-simply changing from auto to manual can make a huge difference in what manufacturers allow or rate them to tow.
Ok thanks great stuff. I'll have a look at the Kia & estates. The wife wants a Evoque but it's a bit out of our budget at the moment I think especially as we have to pay for the caravan.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes very nice good towcar but pricey esp if it goes wrong. Land rover Disco sports maybe a tad cheaper but not so pretty but 7years with a Kia Waranty is peace of mind if you're stretched.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yeah that make sense now you put it like that thanks. It's not worth risking it anyway I feel being a first time caravan tower even though I have towed a folding camper & a trailer for camping holidays in recent years. So a change of car looks a sensible choice.

I always thought it would come to this but was trying to decide if once we get into caravan touring we may wish to upgrade one day. I really like the layout of the Elddis Avante 868 for maybe future years. So trying to decide if to go for a car that could cope with that now to avoid another car change later if we decided to upgrade the caravan. Think probably going to search for a car focused on pulling the Xplore 586 & see how it goes for a few years.

If you are considering purchasing an Avante 868 within the next few years, take into account it has a maximum MTPLM of 1800kg so ideally the car should have a kerbweight of about 2100kg. The Ford Kuga is too light at about 1750kg and the RR Evogue at 1850 is also too light..
Also consider many manufacturers are moving across to EVs so it seems to tow a 868 you are moving into 4x4 territory. Maybe jump right in now with a 4x4 and the Avante 868. You will actually save money by not having to upgrade in a couple of years time. Your choice.
My choice would be Avante 868 and a second hand 4x4. :)

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
If you are considering purchasing an Avante 868 within the next few years, take into account it has a maximum MTPLM of 1800kg so ideally the car should have a kerbweight of about 2100kg. The Ford Kuga is too light at about 1750kg.
Also consider many manufacturers are moving across to EVs so it seems to tow a 868 you are moving into 4x4 territory. Maybe jump right in now with a 4x4 and the Avante 868. You will actually save money by not having to upgrade in a couple of years time. Your choice.
Yeah I'm totally with you and really did consider going for the bigger car and van but it's just really too expensive at the moment. We've brought the Xplore 586 & are really excited about it and it will probably be all we need in the end as a family of 4. So going to go for a good family car that is a good match for Xplore now and get planning some trips. That and start looking for what awning we want, there's another minefield. Oh well it's all interesting stuff.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting! A couple of years ago we were looking at buying a Peugeot 3008 and would be towing a small caravan. Strangely we found out that if we changed the rear tyres for a slightly larger version, the car could legally tow the caravan with a MTPM of 1200kgs. Previously it was limited to 1100kgs.
Similar with Vauxhall many years ago. You could tow for instance 1800kg if the car only had the driver, but the more you put in the car the less the car could tow. Weird!
Citroen had a similar policy of weight in the car detracted from caravan weight.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That and start looking for what awning we want, there's another minefield. Oh well it's all interesting stuff.
You cannot go wrong with a Ventura awning. We prefer the poled to the air awnings, You then need chairs to sit on and a table for outside. Then there is the glasses for the beer or wine, plates, knives, forks etc. The list is endless so enjoy spending a lot of money between now and when you go out. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I'm totally with you and really did consider going for the bigger car and van but it's just really too expensive at the moment. We've brought the Xplore 586 & are really excited about it and it will probably be all we need in the end as a family of 4. So going to go for a good family car that is a good match for Xplore now and get planning some trips. That and start looking for what awning we want, there's another minefield. Oh well it's all interesting stuff.
I think with a family of four an Evoque would be too space limited. One post mentions Passat. VAG do well in Towcar tests from Octavia, Superb and Passats etc. All come in 4WD options if that’s important. I had a 2014 Superb 4x4 AWD 170ps DSG estate which towed beautifully and solo turned in 55 mpg on a run. I am 6 ft 4 and even with the seat extended I could sit in the rear without knees touching the front seats, and it’s luggage volume was enormous. One thing with estates is that even with a roof box on top you can get into car parks of all sorts. Many times with a SUV and box I’ve had to go elsewhere. Frustrating when visiting beaches or attractions.

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
You cannot go wrong with a Ventura awning. We prefer the poled to the air awnings, You then need chairs to sit on and a table for outside. Then there is the glasses for the beer or wine, plates, knives, forks etc. The list is endless so enjoy spending a lot of money between now and when you go out. LOL! :D
Ha ha yeah lots of money. Luckily we have a lots of stuff as we've been camping in an Outwell 7SA inflatable tent now for a number of years. We tried a 2 site holiday, Devon then Cornwall once and said never again as the day packing up moving and setting up again was hell. So the caravan option is so we can tour a bit more and get around different sites. Then if we're staying for a while somewhere we'll set up with the awning. We'd actually already booked 2 weeks for the tent in Dorset this summer, luckily the pitch can take a caravan.

Ok thanks I'll have a look at the Ventura awning.

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
I think with a family of four an Evoque would be too space limited. One post mentions Passat. VAG do well in Towcar tests from Octavia, Superb and Passats etc. All come in 4WD options if that’s important. I had a 2014 Superb 4x4 AWD 170ps DSG estate which towed beautifully and solo turned in 55 mpg on a run. I am 6 ft 4 and even with the seat extended I could sit in the rear without knees touching the front seats, and it’s luggage volume was enormous. One thing with estates is that even with a roof box on top you can get into car parks of all sorts. Many times with a SUV and box I’ve had to go elsewhere. Frustrating when visiting beaches or attractions.
Yeah I think the same about the Evoque, looks like it's all about style over practicality. That a good point about the estates height as we do have a rather large Halfords roof box. I'm not really worried about 4WD personally just want a good family car than is a good caravan tower.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you are considering purchasing an Avante 868 within the next few years, take into account it has a maximum MTPLM of 1800kg so ideally the car should have a kerbweight of about 2100kg. The Ford Kuga is too light at about 1750kg and the RR Evogue at 1850 is also too light..
2100+ kg kerbweight is up into the premium SUV sector as even Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento aren't up that high - naturally I'd recommend a VW Touareg but they're not cheap to buy or run, no premium SUV is.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I think the same about the Evoque, looks like it's all about style over practicality. That a good point about the estates height as we do have a rather large Halfords roof box. I'm not really worried about 4WD personally just want a good family car than is a good caravan tower.
The roofbox will be very handy even with a caravan. We carry our awning, windbreak and groundsheet in it. However when changing vehicles the current supports for the roof box may not fit the new vehicle so another £200+.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would think that is obvious? If you are paying a lot extra for prestige marque you do expect better. :D

Why? When I buy something I expect it to do what it is sold as doing. Budget or non budget. Could it be that prestige items have more bells and whistles which have not been developed and integrated properly, and hence cause problems. Skoda are interesting as they consistently attain better reliability marks than other VAG brands, but most of their kit is common. Better design and integration perhaps; surely not lower buyer expectations? Who knows?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree the principles remain the same but technology has improved which should mean an up to date research would probably suggest a higher ratio is now fine.
Your conclusion is pre-empting the research!

In the olden days, when blade stabilisers were the only stability option, we were advised not to use them to justify an otherwise unstable outfit - the same could be said today, don't use a car's ESP, ABS, etc and caravan's ATC to justify an otherwise unstable outfit - basic stability comes from the weight ratio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts