Help ,domestic plumbing

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
We need to move our washing machine from the kitchen to the garage,however to run the waste water to a drain means a very long run alon the side of the house with a very shallow fall on it.Another option is to connect to a downpipe which is on the side of the garage this takes rainwater off the entire large roof and the extension roof.So my question is this,surely this must connect to a drain and not a soakaway to cope with the volume of water in heavy rain.So can I connect to it and how could I check that it is not a soakaway?

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Plotter, haven't seen you around the forums for a while, is everything o.k ?

Re checking if your drain is a soakaway, what about connecting up a water hose to a tap and running water down the drain. If it's a soakaway it wouldn't be able to cope with the volume and would back up pretty quickly.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If it's only a soakaway you should reach a dead end relatively soon after inserting a flexible rod down it.

We had the same problem because our washing machine is down in the basement, below the level of the drain. We had to have a cistern built under the basement floor and a pump to raise the water into the regular drainage system.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
This might seem a bit Heath Robinson but could you install the machine on a robust platform adding height to the fall of the waste pipe, giving handy storage space beneath and saving bending to load/unload the washer. Assuming it is a front loader that is.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Rob T been off line for a while as my old PC died and my new one had problems and has only just been sorted so back around the forums again.

I cant elevate the machine because if I run the pipe along the side of the house it has to go past 2 doors so needs to pass below the sills.

Plans I have tend to show that the downpipe runs to a storm drain,when we had heavy rain recently the gutter was blocked with leaves and the volume of water overflowing from the gutter was far greater than I could replicate with a hose and I would suggest much more than a storm drain could cope with.When I removed the leaves you could here the water as it rushed away down the pipes again making me believe it is into a drain.

A washing machine actually discharges a very small amount of water (about 12 literes I think) also this will be no different to water going down the drain when you wash you car with soapy water.

My neighbour has the water from both roofs connected into his single downpipe (the same position as the one I want to connect to)and in addition he has connected in a pipe to take the water off his double drive,in even light rain the volume of water going down the pipe must be enormous.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Never connect the water from your washing machine to a storm drain. Storm drains collect water from our roofs and drains them to brooks, rivers and lakes without treatment. Connecting your washing machine drainage to a storm water drain is harmful to aquatic life. Imagine what the bleaching agents can do to the fish stock and other creatures in our rivers, brooks and lakes. All domestic waste water from the sinks, dishwasher, washing machine etc must go to sewer drains

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
there might be aproblem with back flow i no its a bit mad but its a big thing with water board with wast comeing back into the mains.
I'm sorry dean I don't see the reason for your posting. Plotter's problem is with waste water, not the mains supply. Incidentally teh mains supply should have double stop valves to prevent back feed into to the mains cold supply.

G

You should get a nice big fine if you get caught connecting waste water from the house (including washing machine) to a soakaway!

A washing machine pump is able to pump water to a height of a kitchen work top so that the pipe can be hooked in to a sink if you have nowhere else. Do not expect a washing machine pump to pump water any distance more than its hose length and to the height of a sink!

If the entry for the machine hose is as high as the top of the machine it will not matter to much about the pipe running at a shallow angle if you use 1.5' / 40mm waste pipe. Using L shaped connectors you can run the pipe under door steps and back up and along, it will just act like a U bend trap.

If the entry point to the waste is high the fall of water being pumped out should have no problem travelling 40 or 50 feet providing there is a slight down hill run to the drain.

DO NOT CONNECT TO A SOAKAWAY!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would run the pipe in 40mm as Euro said but be sure to have as much fall on the pipe as possible. You need to avoid water forming a U trap in a waste pipe on the outside of the house because of frost damage in the winter.

G

Clive is correct re freezing, but you need to get the fall to the drain.

Insulate the 'trap' if you have to go under a door and then continue the fall.

High entry point to the drainage pipe from the washing machine hose will provide plenty of momentum for the water providing the water has a sloght downhill fall overall.

A length of pipe vertical at the enty point and then a shallow fall on a horizontal pipe will give a sufficient fall average over the length.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
It is not a soakaway!

Sorry Deli Dave I did not recognise the email address and delelted it (very wary of virus as this is a new PC after the last got destroyed at Xmas) can you re mail as I now know who it is from

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
TRy this,

Phone your local Building inspector via the local authority and ask if your services are part of a combined main.

Inform them of the issues associated with the move to the garage and they will advise you accordingly.

If you introduce washing machine waste ino the storm without permission, it is the local authority that are likly to come a knocking on your door.

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi.

If you are going to fit the washing machine in the garage why don`t you look at fitting a macerator to the back of the w/machine that way the drain size is reduced to 22mm overflow pipe.

As the macerator fills up it pumps the water away, the end of the waste pipe can be a considerable distance from the machine as long as it connects to a foul drain and not a rainwater drain.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts