help electrolux fridge

May 18, 2005
Visit site
A friend of mine has a problem with his fridge could anyone help please. His gas system will not function gas will light up when gas button is pushed in and igniter pressed.After over 30 seconds gas button is released and flame goes out.Same occurs after numerous Attemps flame still goes out. New jet cappilary tube and magnetic switch fitted without any success caravan 1981. Any suggestions why flame will not continue to burn would be appreciated.

Angela

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angela, there is the possibility that either the flame failure device (thermocouple) is not sitting in the flame or it is faulty. When you hold the button in you are bypassing the devise to allow it to get hot. Fluid inside it and its tube expands and opens the gas valve. If it is not in the flame then it will not heat and when you let go of the button the gas valve shuts off. There is the more unlikely possibility thaat the gas valve itself is faulty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angela, there is the possibility that either the flame failure device (thermocouple) is not sitting in the flame or it is faulty. When you hold the button in you are bypassing the devise to allow it to get hot. Fluid inside it and its tube expands and opens the gas valve. If it is not in the flame then it will not heat and when you let go of the button the gas valve shuts off. There is the more unlikely possibility thaat the gas valve itself is faulty.
Hello Ray,

Can I correct your understanding of the thermocouple flame failure device.

A thermocouple is constructed from two dissimilar metals (typically Iron & Constantin for FFD's) welded together at the tip. As the junction warns up it starts to produce a current through the junction. The current is passed to a electromagnetic coil in the FFD capsule in the gas valve. The other part of the FFD capsule is a spring loaded plunger, which when no flame is present closes off the gas supply. When you depress the valve knob at the ingintion position you are pushing the plunger. When the thermocouple is hot the current is sufficient to cause the electromagnet to hold the plunger on the open position.

What you have describe is a thermostat, which by the expansion of oil modulates the gas flow through a valve in relation to the temperature of the bulb/phial.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ray,

Can I correct your understanding of the thermocouple flame failure device.

A thermocouple is constructed from two dissimilar metals (typically Iron & Constantin for FFD's) welded together at the tip. As the junction warns up it starts to produce a current through the junction. The current is passed to a electromagnetic coil in the FFD capsule in the gas valve. The other part of the FFD capsule is a spring loaded plunger, which when no flame is present closes off the gas supply. When you depress the valve knob at the ingintion position you are pushing the plunger. When the thermocouple is hot the current is sufficient to cause the electromagnet to hold the plunger on the open position.

What you have describe is a thermostat, which by the expansion of oil modulates the gas flow through a valve in relation to the temperature of the bulb/phial.
John, many thanks, never to old to learn. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angela, Before suspecting the gas valve check the Flame failure devise is operating. Unscrew its connection from the gas valve and whilst holding the start overide button in check the end of the tube where a plunger type device will expand out of the tube as it gets hot ( as described so well by John). It is this plunger which keeps the gas valve open in normal use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Angela,

I am sorry Ray, but I must advise Angela against your sugegsted course of action. I am seriouely concerned for the safety of anyone carrying out the procedure you describe which would compromise the gas tightnes of the system.

My opinioin is formed on the background of working with LPG gas applinces that use virtually identical valves to the Eletrolux fridges for over 20+ years, as a Service engineer, Designer and Reliability engineer.

It is my understanding that the only connections you can remove from this type of valve and then observe the inner workings would be the gas inlet or outlet pipes, or the collar plate and valve stem. The removal of any of these will definately compromise the gas tight seals on the valve. The removal of the thermocouple lead would not expose any moving parts, but could compromise the gas safety of the valve.

None of these actions should not be attempted except by a competent person with all the approprite knowledge** and tools.

It follows that a person with all the knowlege would not need to ask for this type of advice in this forum, thus I strongly suspect that Angela is not a qualified gas engineer. Angela I appologise if my assumption is incorrec but I hope you can understand my logic.

As soon as any gas related problem needs to have gas connections broken or adjusted, I always receommend that a competent person undertakes work with proper regard for Health & Safety legislation, and the Gas Installatoin and Use Regulations.

Ironically, touring caravans are exluded from the necesity under law to have gas work carried out by a CORGI registersd person, however the same level of care is required under H&S regulations and the same liability falls on the last person who performs any work on a gas system. There have been incidents where Insurance Companies at worst voided cover or have refused or reduced claims for damage where non CORGI registerd persons have conducted work on caravans.

Angela, I believe that the problem with your fridge requires the attention of a qualified person.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts