Help how do i get a good tv picture in my caravan

Aug 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi can anyone tell me how to get a good reception on my tv i have a status multi directional i also have tried booster systems i thought i had cracked it at the last site i was at as it had booster points on the hook up bollard but still no picture i have tried freeview boxes the lot but still cant get a picture must be an easy solution.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Robert,

Try the following:

Remove the TV from the van, take it indoors and plug it in next to your house TV. Assuming you have a roof top TV aerial, switch the TV aerial lead over and tune in the channels. Compare the image with your home TV picture.

If the TV doesn't provide images of similar picture quality - the TV is probably faulty.

If the picture quality is a similar quality, return the TV to the van.

Assuming your van is parked at home, now run the TV in the van and compare the image quality. It will be worse because the Status omni-directional trades signal strength against not having to set up a directional aerial.

If the signal quality is now so poor that you can't live with the image, change the Status omni-aerial for a Status directional aerial.

A directional aerial is best because: they receive a stronger signal, they reject interfering signals

An omni-direction aerial can be OK in a strong signal area, but only if competing signals are absent.

A booster (amplifier) system is not such a great solution because they amplify the signal and the noise by the same amount - so no net gain. If the noise is very low, then they can help.

Freeview boxes need a strong signal to work.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Robert

The idea of testing your caravan TV as suggested by Robert is a good one. If the TV is okay with your home aerial that does not help a directional aerial is probably the answer. It is a commonly stated complaint on this, and other caravan websites, that the Status omni-directional mushrooms are of very little use except in strong sigal areas - that is being both kind and polite!! I could put it much more negatively and strongly!!!

I had my dealer swap my mushroom Status for a Status 530 omni-directional. I had seen it had got a good review in a caravan magazine and have been VERY pleased with it. It has ensured good TV picture all over the UK and on the Continent too. That is just on an analogue set with 5 channesl, I've not used with freeview or anything else.

Mine is the short mast version and it fits in the overhead locker where the original Status power pack was and uses the original roof hole. The aerial mast extends about 30cm throught the roof when the van is sited and can be rotated through 360 degrees and tilted in the vertical plane too. It cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The cheap and cheerful house type of aerial on a pole will outperform the Status flying saucer every time except when you are in a strong reception area (once in a blue moon!)

Sky via a dish is the best way to get perfect pictures

May 25, 2005
Visit site
When next on site with a booster system plug into the mains light box and pass the cable through a window and plug directly into the back of your TV. You should get perfect reception.

We have found that a 'Compact' arial, available at most caravan retail shops is fantastic. They are relatively cheap - around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
most mid priced vans are fitted with a Status omnidirectional ariel and IMHO they are near useless and why van makers fit them beats me when for a few pounds more you could have a unidirectional one fitted instead.

I find that the van maker fits one of these together with a booster and a couple of tv points and I reckon that there are to many plugs used to do this and as most people know the more plugs the more likely you will have poor reception. I cannot be bothered checking out connections so I bought a Status unidirection ariel and poles for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't bother with a Status.

Get a wideband extra high gain (domestic type) as large as you can store from Argos, Radio Spares or Maplins. Fit this to an external mast and connect through a Maxview Signal Amplifier.

Or get a Freesat system.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we swapped our flying saucer for the bent coathanger type that is often used on boats and it is much better,previous reply said why fit them at all is absolutely right saucer ones are generally c..p

TRENDING THREADS