Help me decide!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
You may not like this folks but I'm thinking of going to the other side, you know the motorised type!!

let me explain, I will not give up the caravan but after all this lockdown stuff my head is telling me as I'm still working I
want and need to get away more on weekends, ie; Fri & Sat Nights, now I dont want the hassle of hooking up on a
regular basis just for two nights, needs to be at least three and poss four in reality and also the cost of a seasonal
(if I could get one) is in my mind extortionate prices.
So whats your thought and any idea's of a small camper van, not a full blown motorhome, was looking at the
Mazda Bongo's but it wont tow my 1750kg van
and the price of anything with a VW badge is in another mortgage territory.!!!
Will prob exchange/sell the Shogun as I also have use of company van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We were booked on a seasonal grass pitch with EHU in the Forest of Dean Bracelands. It was around £1400 for April -October. But we decided before Covid hit to cancel the booking for a number of reasons. But we had only seen it as a stop gap for one season until we hoped that we could go to different sites in future. We like the variety that a caravan MH or Campervan would give. What we do notice at Forest Holidays and CCC sites are how popular CVs are across the whole age range. As well as the need for a quick get away vehicle a CV gives good access to off piste areas. With a good awning there’s bags of room which can be left as you are away for the day. You’ve got quite a difficult choice and I understand your drivers.

Reactions: Gagakev
Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Something we’ve been toying with for a while. Mazda Bongo seems the ideal choice. VW you’re just buying into a very expensive fashion.
It would be in addition to our caravan rather than a replacement. Ideal for a weekend away, taking the dogs for walks on the beach or the downs and making a day of it. Cheap holidays for the kids as well.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use to go for weekends but found it to tiring but if we go now it either 4/5 nights and then moved on for a total of 10 nights . (Why don"t you hire a motorhome and try it) but it your choice to make

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know exactly where you are coming from, we had the same thoughts a couple of years ago, weekends just weren't worth the hassle of getting the van out, hitching up and then packing everything back up at noon on Sunday. We had been caravanning for nearly 20 years then, the kids were older and doing their own thing so we looked at VW type camper to double as tow car for the van on longer breaks, you're right about the mortgage requirement so that quickly disappeared from our list. We then considered a proper motorhome and sell the caravan, to be fair 2019 was the decider for us, increased work load meant getting away early on a Friday was nigh on impossible and we ended up using the caravan for one long weekend and our early summer weeks holiday and that was it, added to that was the increased number of cars parked in our road and the military operation required to get the caravan out totally spoiled the holiday experience. So in October last year we picked up a new Elddis Accordo Envy motorhome, 6 metres in length, so easy to park in Tesco's etc. 3 berth, 4 seatbelts and plenty of room for the two of us. Two fold up bikes enable us to get around locally at weekends and when we do the long stay in one place trips usually to Devon the wife follows in her small city car and we use that to get around.
Now obviously this year's trips have been somewhat curtailled but I have every confidence that we have made the right move to enable us to get away quickly and more importantly set up quickly when we get somewhere at weekends.
I would have liked to have kept the caravan but in the end financially it wasn't viable and the camper van with caravan idea just didn't have suitable candidates that I could tow with but also use a normal car to go to work with.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My feeling is that although we have wondered about campervans, could we live with the loss of space. I would look at what is available for hire and try the smallest one you can find and see how you get on. You will then hopefully have some idea of the size you need assuming you are still happy with the idea.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Sadly, for us, a small motorhome would be divorce territory! Limited space drives us both mad. It would have to be a tag axle Carthago which would reduce us to a bread and water diet!
Mind you, we go abroad for three months at a time. Shorter periods would be survivable.
(Otherwise, we are very happily married). :)
I take your point about the extra space created by an awning though.
Are you really comfortable with the loss of internal space?
Is it worth hiring one for a short break in order to test it out?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have also looked at motor caravans in the past, but overall decided to stick with the caravan. Problem is that you probably have to look for sites on bus routes.
If you need something it means you cannot quickly pop down to the store, sometimes a hassle going out for the day to find that someone has pinched your pitch even though you had signs up, needs a MOT every year after the first 3 years, the vehicle needs servicing and the caravan part needs service so double service and costs(?), diesel motors do not like standing idle for long periods of time especially over the winter however you cna SORN the vehicle if you cna gte it off road.
If there is an issue with the caravan part, the vehicle is off the road and cannot be used, if the vehicle itself is off the road, the caravan cannot be used. If you breakdown and have onward travel, they cannot take the vehicle for repair as you will have nowhere to cook, sleep or wash.
Plus points are you can do 70+ mph on motorways, park anywhere on beach fronts, drain your waste water into the nearest drain, dump cassette contents in the nearest bush, chuck your rubbish out the window etc. LOL! Luckily most motor caravan people are responsible.

PS I don't think there is such a thing as a motor home as they are motor caravans. Good luck with your choice. :D

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Wow thanks for the replies folks, some food for thought in all post's.
firstly I really dont think I could be without the caravan for the longer holiday's so a CV would be in addition and not a replacement.
I couldnt possibly hire a motor home as that would feed the OH's wish's!!! This is my way of trying to steer her away from a motor home, as mentioned in post above you either have to pack every thing up or at least search for a site with the bus stop, a small car following on is a big no no, OH wont drive out of our hometown!!!
The CV would purely be for weekends and not bothered about space or seating really as we rarely sit inside the caravan when away anyway, we are always outside or at least in the awning when raining!, we would take enough supplies to see us through the weekend. And as we are 6 miles from a beach or 6 miles from Dartmoor think it could come in handy for odd days out.
Oh well thanks again for your replies, off to see whats available.
Stay Safe.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A friend of ours converted a Transit van into a camper van. Rough and ready but practical however no toilet inside the camper.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have also looked at motor caravans in the past, but overall decided to stick with the caravan. Problem is that you probably have to look for sites on bus routes.
If you need something it means you cannot quickly pop down to the store, sometimes a hassle going out for the day to find that someone has pinched your pitch even though you had signs up, needs a MOT every year after the first 3 years, the vehicle needs servicing and the caravan part needs service so double service and costs(?), diesel motors do not like standing idle for long periods of time especially over the winter however you cna SORN the vehicle if you cna gte it off road.
If there is an issue with the caravan part, the vehicle is off the road and cannot be used, if the vehicle itself is off the road, the caravan cannot be used. If you breakdown and have onward travel, they cannot take the vehicle for repair as you will have nowhere to cook, sleep or wash.
Plus points are you can do 70+ mph on motorways, park anywhere on beach fronts, drain your waste water into the nearest drain, dump cassette contents in the nearest bush, chuck your rubbish out the window etc. LOL! Luckily most motor caravan people are responsible.

PS I don't think there is such a thing as a motor home as they are motor caravans. Good luck with your choice. :D
Look on Auto Trader it says Motorhome

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Look on Auto Trader it says Motorhome
Is the word in the English dictionary as it is a motor caravan and not a motor home. A home is somewhere where you live permanently and it does not move. Why is it that people prefer the words motor home instead of the correct description of motor caravan? Vanity? :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Is the word in the English dictionary as it is a motor caravan and not a motor home. A home is somewhere where you live permanently and it does not move. Why is it that people prefer the words motor home instead of the correct description of motor caravan? Vanity? :)
if it says that in Auto trader that is enough for me
Find your your perfect Motorhome
Berths
Make
There about 7, 918 for sale

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Better let the Caravan and Motorhome Club know that they have got it wrong then. And Collins too. Motor car van is the old understanding.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/motorhome

Last edited:
Reactions: Beachball
May 7, 2012
Visit site
For the lazier members, motorhome is shorter and easier to type the motor caravan and despite the dictionary saying that is correct I still do not agree. You also get campervan which is also wrong and I am never sure where these become motorhomes or motor caravans or whatever.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For the lazier members, motorhome is shorter and easier to type the motor caravan and despite the dictionary saying that is correct I still do not agree. You also get campervan which is also wrong and I am never sure where these become motorhomes or motor caravans or whatever.
The English language as with other languages has and will continue to evolve. New word come in old words remain despite being superseded by new ones. To most people I suggest Campervan is well understood fir what it is. A van with accommodation, little space and no toilet/shower. There that’s OC’s definition of a well liked vehicle that enables folks to enjoy the outdoors.

Reactions: Beachball

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Differences between Campervan and Motorhome:

Campervan -

A van equipped as a self-contained travelling home, campervans are normally smaller than a motorhome. There is generally no divide between the cab and the living quarters. Campervans usually have basic facilities for cooking, washing, and sleeping.

Motorhome -

A motor vehicle built on a truck or bus chassis and designed to serve as self-contained living quarters for recreational travel. There is normally a divide between the cab and the living quarters behind, which contain sleeping space, ablution and kitchen facilities.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Differences between Campervan and Motorhome:

Campervan -

A van equipped as a self-contained travelling home, campervans are normally smaller than a motorhome. There is generally no divide between the cab and the living quarters. Campervans usually have basic facilities for cooking, washing, and sleeping.

Motorhome -

A motor vehicle built on a truck or bus chassis and designed to serve as self-contained living quarters for recreational travel. There is normally a divide between the cab and the living quarters behind, which contain sleeping space, ablution and kitchen facilities.
Most motorhome don’t meet that definition. Divide ?? :eek: :eek:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

So what's a holiday home ?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most motorhome don’t meet that definition. Divide ?? :eek: :eek:

Yes they do.
The "Divide" you seem to question is not a physical wall as such.
It refers to the cab seats not having to be used for sleeping on, unlike many campervans where the driver and passenger seats recline to form beds.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So what's a holiday home ?

Generally a house or flat bought by out of towners which tend to inflate the cost of local housing , making it impossible in places to allow locals to buy affordable housing, and only used for a couple of weeks a year, otherwise left empty.

TRENDING THREADS