Help needed 1st time touring in france

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
We are planning a trip around the La Rochelle area and I am looking at the alternative ways to get there.

Option 1 tunnel Dover to Calais stop over for 1 night before getting to La Rochelle. total drive 635 miles

Option 2 Portsmouth - Cane slow ferry (due to caravan size)Stop over 1 night before getting to La Rochelle total drive 425 miles.

I don't mind driving and in both cases I would look to stay over. The Tunnel is £250 cheaper for the crossing and the times to travel are better 11:36 out and 14:06 back. The over all trip via the tunnel is aprox 2.5hrs quicker.

Has anyone had the same thoughts if so which is best?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony

We've be holidaying in Brittany for about 10 years now and have arrived at Caen on one occasion. We have more often gone to the Benodet area and use Roscoff. Caen to La Rochelle sounds a better journey for you. Even after a number of years' experience we tend to say that 250 miles per day, even on the autoroutes, is a good figure to allow time for setting-up at overnight stays and allowing us to enjoy the journey. I'd recommend even taking 2 nights if you went via Calais. A factor to consider on the longer journey is that although the crossing fare is less you have to allow for the increased fuel costs and extra autoroute tolls. Are you a member of either of the Cararavan or Camping and Caravan Clubs as they offer good deals on ferry crossing. The Western channel routes have got more expensive particularly since P&O dropped out. Have you considered the Norfolk line ferry from Dover to Dunkerque they are offering a fare of

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tony I'm sat overlooking the med at this moment on a warm spring afternoon, driving in France is so much easier. If you have a good tow car and van and are fit I wouldn't worry about the miles in France.

Have done Portsmoth Caen and Southampton Ferries years ago.

Great when the weather is fine, not so funny when the sea is rough, and you have a wife ill and the kids ill with sea sickness! Have friends and neighbours who have had the same with rough crossings, and when you get to France you find it hot and with family not feeeling well it is not a good start to the trip.

Dover calais Ferry gives you a good enforced break unlike the

20 minute tunnel trip and you should be able to get a far cheaper ferry deal than the tunnel!

If you van is spacious, stop on the main autoroute stops, they all have caravan parking and you can stop for free along with many many other vanners and motorhomers.

We stopped doing over night campsites years ago, we only stop at main Motorway service stations but have always been surrounded by many others on route and have always been safe!

Remember that P&O do cheaper night time crossings betwen 11pm and 7am.

Dover Calais and the Tunnel offer many crossings if you should run late and they will just bump you onto another ferry an hour later or even earlier! Caen can be a problem if you were to have a problem on your return trip especially if you return close to the end of the school holidays!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Tony I'm sat overlooking the med at this moment on a warm spring afternoon, driving in France is so much easier. If you have a good tow car and van and are fit I wouldn't worry about the miles in France.

Have done Portsmoth Caen and Southampton Ferries years ago.

Great when the weather is fine, not so funny when the sea is rough, and you have a wife ill and the kids ill with sea sickness! Have friends and neighbours who have had the same with rough crossings, and when you get to France you find it hot and with family not feeeling well it is not a good start to the trip.

Dover calais Ferry gives you a good enforced break unlike the

20 minute tunnel trip and you should be able to get a far cheaper ferry deal than the tunnel!

If you van is spacious, stop on the main autoroute stops, they all have caravan parking and you can stop for free along with many many other vanners and motorhomers.

We stopped doing over night campsites years ago, we only stop at main Motorway service stations but have always been surrounded by many others on route and have always been safe!

Remember that P&O do cheaper night time crossings betwen 11pm and 7am.

Dover Calais and the Tunnel offer many crossings if you should run late and they will just bump you onto another ferry an hour later or even earlier! Caen can be a problem if you were to have a problem on your return trip especially if you return close to the end of the school holidays!
Hi Cris,

Thanks for the reply. I think I am looking at going the dover calais route. I have a sorento and an avondale argente 650/6 so the drive should be OK and will have lots of room in the Van. May look at taking the 2 night stay. The tunnel depart and return times are great(having two kids)at around midday so still debating the pros and cons.

thanks again

Tony

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Tony

When going to that region I use the Portsmouth St Malo crossing, I live in the North West so the Portsmouth run is 5 or so hours, get to the port at about 8.30, board at 11.00ish. Run from St Malo next day is 204 miles easy to be on site for dinner.

Works for me particularly with small child.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm making the same journey in May at the start of my holidays and am going via the chunnel. I'll probably taker three days for the journey as I am a solo driver.

Driving in France is a delight.

Mar 16, 2006
Visit site
Make sure you take and mains socket tester to ensure the hook up on the French site is not reverse polarity. If it is swap the brown and blue wires around in your hook up lead. Or buy an adaptor before you leave and rewire it ready for use - but clearly mark it.

TRENDING THREADS