Help please

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi my husband and I are new to caravaning . We haven't yet purchased a van but finding it far more confusing than we first thought
We want a used van 4-5 Berth but must have 2 double beds we don't want bunks other than as a 5th bed if that makes sense. Thinking of 1998 upwards
We need to change our car too as currently have a 1.4 Honda Civic. Would have liked to get a 1.6 car but should we go 1.8 ?? Help
Question do we change car first ?, if so what to, or do we buy van first ? We consider ourselves fairly intelligent but really confused with towing weights etc . Would appreciate any advice
T.I.A

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Sandanca, welcome.

Re the car, it is not just engine 'size' that will be a factor.

I'm sure you will get sage advice here, but for now, I would suggest that you have done the right thing by asking questions first, take your time checking out caravan models that will meet your needs and the car choice will be more evident once you have a 'caravan weight range' to work within.

Giving time to researching the options will be time well spent.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Once you've sorted out the layout, then you will probably find a maximum weight of vans that you like. From there you can work out a good match of tow car. that will be suitable for your needs. The kerb weight, torque, maximum towing capacity, maximum weight on the towball and more will come into play. Have a good look at the layouts and weights then get back to us. When looking at the vans you need to be looking at the mtplm figure. as the max weight you can load it too. There's loads of advice on line, within this forum, on the PC website and in the printed format as well.

Happy hunting and hopefully we'll be able to help some more as you continue your journey into weights and then caravan and car buying. :cheer:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sandanca,

As you are looking at what will be most likely a larger than average caravan, I do need to remind you to ensure that who ever will be driving the outfit will need to check their driving licence for the maximum weights they are allowed to drive.

Its all based on whne you passed your driving test. The crucial date is 1st January 1997; If you passed before this date you will have category "Be" which covers you for all car and caravan combinations, IF you only have Cat B then your entitlement is limited to a combined MAM of 3500kg. For Cat B drivers there is a further test you can take which will give B+E and remove the restriction

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

The Caravan and Motorhome Club, and Camping and Caravan Club both have excellent websites which have technical advice sheets that can be accessed by all without being members. These are well worth reading as they help with the multitude of definitions and will help you start to sort out the priorities, but once you know the choice of caravan then the decision on the car characteristics will fall into place. Don't let dealers over shadow your decision making, as they can give poor advice when it comes to matching car and caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts