Help.Push fit pipes leaking.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our 2004 Swift has started to leak under the bathroom sink.

The leak is causing the water to gush out when any tap is turned on. I have undone all the pipes , and re-conncted them, but it still sprays out of the hose connected to the sink tap. If i hold the sink hose in the joint , the leak stops , when i let go , it pours again!! , Any Ideas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just had a similar problem, when fitting a new tap to the kitchen sink. I pushed the 12mm pipe into the push fit conector and when testing for leaks both hot and cold leaked.

I released the fittings and pushed the pipes in again, you feel a click and then continue to push quite firmly and the pipe goes in a little more to engage in an O ring. This did it for me.

Check the end of the pipe to make sure it is cut off square at the end.

Jim

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Gerry,

For a quick fix or temporary repair I always carry around with me a roll of 'Self amalgemating tape' which you can buy from DIY shops for about

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Domestic push-fit plumbing isn't really suitable for use in caravans as it's not designed to withstand the vibration and movement of towing. It works fine in a domestic property which doesn't move around.

Some caravan manufacturers use push-fit plumbing to reduce their cost of manufacture - the owners get any problems!

I, personally, would only buy a caravan with flexible hoses and hose clips - this technique works well enough for cars and aircraft so should be suitable for caravans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A month after our warranty ran out we pulled the plug on our sink and the water ran out through the grill! We unscrewed the sink and saw that the waste pipe had become disconnected. It was a devil to do as there was little play in the pipe. To reconnect it you almost had to have the sink back in place to push the pipe on. After plastering tthe pipe with sealant my wife managed to push the pipe back on and we were able to screw the sink back in place. Touch wood it has worked ok since but caused a lot of inconvenience. Good Luck. George T.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gerry, The push fit fittings in your van are produced by either John Guest or Whale,the pipe must be cut square with no nicks or scratches, the pipe must be pushed firmly home into the connector, if after checking all these points the joint still leaks you need to change the o-ring, if you gently prise out the retaining collar you will see the o-ring, that should cure the problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi Gerry---when using plastic piping a lot of people forget to use the proper pipe inserts, these push into the end of the pipe, and they make the pipe firm to allow the o ring to grip. You must have them on domestic plumbing otherwise you will have leaks everywhere, but in caravans where the pressure is lower, the makers might not have used them---just a thought

TRENDING THREADS