Help! Taking pet abroad 2023

Jan 17, 2022
Visit site
We have been taking our jackrussell abroad since she was 9month old. She is 11 this year and in 2018 we had everything in place to go rabies certificate, even though her previous jab was still in place on her now debunked pet passport, my query is, is there anyone out there planning a trip abroad and could advise any rule changes since 2018. My mind is fudled with what I have to do for me and hubby but no use doing anything for us unless ruby can come too. Thank you

Reactions: Sleekpony
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are also contemplating visiting France again with our dogs in 2023. Last time we went was in 2018 and we are also unsure of the never ending changing or regulations so thread will also be of interest to us. Our dogs are also over 11 years old so not a good idea to put them into kennels.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have been taking our jackrussell abroad since she was 9month old. She is 11 this year and in 2018 we had everything in place to go rabies certificate, even though her previous jab was still in place on her now debunked pet passport, my query is, is there anyone out there planning a trip abroad and could advise any rule changes since 2018. My mind is fudled with what I have to do for me and hubby but no use doing anything for us unless ruby can come too. Thank you
I’d suggest looking at the HMG website as that is the best place. Fundamentally expect a large increase in costs associated with the paperwork and certificates. Some reports that vets can charge £300 for the package per dog. Then there are the costs associated with bringing your animals back. Our two dogs have travelled extensively in Europe with us, but now they are in their 15 th year they won’t be going again, and neither will we until they are with us as memories.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad

Reactions: Wendy w
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’d suggest looking at the HMG website as that is the best place. Fundamentally expect a large increase in costs associated with the paperwork and certificates. Some reports that vets can charge £300 for the package per dog. Then there are the costs associated with bringing your animals back. Our two dogs have travelled extensively in Europe with us, but now they are in their 15 th year they won’t be going again, and neither will we until they are with us as memories.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad
Average price around us is about £120 for the AHC however for two dogs it is not double the cost due to it being one consultation. I am told that going to France is not the issue, but coming back into the UK is the issue. I am not sure if the dogs still need to have the tithe test for rabies?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Average price around us is about £120 for the AHC however for two dogs it is not double the cost due to it being one consultation. I am told that going to France is not the issue, but coming back into the UK is the issue. I am not sure if the dogs still need to have the tithe test for rabies?
The HMG website in my link above gives chapter and verse.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Seeing this will be our first trip we might go on a package with Caravan Club. we are looking at 2023 and then they will tell us what we need to do about our two dogs .and what injections are needed

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Seeing this will be our first trip we might go on a package with Caravan Club. we are looking at 2023 and then they will tell us what we need to do about our two dogs .and what injections are needed
Why don't you ask the CAMC if you are going on one of their packaged tours as they will have all the latest up to date information?

Nov 21, 2019
Visit site

We tour permanently with four dogs and I write a blog which I keep up to date on the regulations for travelling with dogs. There are also printable checklists. I explain what you need to know about Animal Health Certificates on this blog.

This blog explains the procedure for going to Europe and back.

On Eurotunnel, your dog stays in the car with you for the short half hour crossing. Brittany Ferries and DFDS offer dog friendly cabins, so your dog can stay with you during the crossing, but you need to book these well in advance.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we crossed the channel we always used the Dover Dunkik/ Calais crossing and left the dogs in the car.
After seeing a fire investigation dog in its car one day I noticed the rear door was held open with one of these door lock extensions. I bought the small size for our car and with the window guards on the rear windows , plenty of ventilation, and the dogs are safe, and car locked.

Reactions: Sleekpony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts