Help....Torn!

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi....we are just comming back to caravaning after 10 years away.....now have 3 kids.....7,4,2 years old.

We have been looking like crazy for the last few weeks and are now at a point were we really need to make a descision.

We are torn between second hand and new. If we buy new we can put down about £8000 cash and do the rest on finance...if we buy second hand we would just pay cash.

We are looking for a single axle van with the fixed rear bunks.....we have seen all the new types and many second hand ones...some of which are well ropey!

The best new deal we can find is an Eldis advance...its a 2008 model but new at a dealer...price is £11750 including an awning...we really like this van as well as all it's nice features.

If we buy second hand we wouldn't justify spening anything like that amount.....of all the ones we have seen, the best package is an Avondale Dart which is 2005 and £6800 (private sale) including everything and fully serviced/damp inspected.

Questions are:-

(i) is the Eldis a good deal and how heavy is the depreciation in the first say 3 years likely to be.

(ii) is a 2005 van likely to be worth anything at all in 3 years?...or are we likely to need to keep spending to keep it in good condition.

We don't want to spend any more weekends driving arround dealers or private sales.

any advice gratefully accepted!

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam

thanks...we have not seen any of those...even though our local dealer is listed on the manufacturers website they didn't mention the brand or have any in stock either when we visited.

There is however a dealer about 1/2 hour from us so we will have a quick trip there.

cheers

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam

thanks...we have not seen any of those...even though our local dealer is listed on the manufacturers website they didn't mention the brand or have any in stock either when we visited.

There is however a dealer about 1/2 hour from us so we will have a quick trip there.

cheers
our last caravan was an Avondale Dart and we had a good many years use out of it and it was comfortable too

Just remember Avondale is no longer so if looking for aprts for it you might have a bit of a problem

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Like Sam, I have just picked up our brand new Adria Altea, same model 542DT. It stood out as being best for our family needs at the moment-kids are 6 and 4.Can give you more info on it if required but I hope you get something soon so that you may enjoy the seasons ahead.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Moggy

If you had never tried caravanning before I'd have suggested that you bought a used caravan first in case you found out that you didn't like it.

In your case you write that you're returning to caravanning so you obviously enjoy caravanning and know broadly what to expect.

It's your choice but if I was in your shoes I'd go for the new caravan option. Going by the ages of your children you have a good many years before they reach the stage where they no longer accompany you so your caravan will hopefully be in regular use long after you have finished paying the balance off.

I'd be a bit careful about buying the Avondale because if you suffer panel damage in the future replacements might be hard to come by. Avondale have unfortunately ceased trading.

Depreciation can be heavy on any new caravan, the Eldis appears to be ok on the face of it but new caravan production is for 2010 caravans now. The Eldis would count as a year older than it actually is if you sold it because manufacturers work a year in advance for some reason. As others have suggested, have a look at the Adria, a couple of extra weekends spent looking around caravans can help to prevent expensive mistakes which you then live with for years.

When buying new you must factor in the cost of annual servicing, storage and insurance before you even book your first trip away

so only you know how viable a new caravan will be but good luck in your quest.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We bought our first caravan an Adria Altea 542 in 2007. We were very impressed with the quality compared with the likes of Bailey etc. It has proved to be an ideal layout with our two children now 10 and 14 and the bunks are adult size. The quality has lived up to expectation and it has been the right choice. Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Moggy

I assume you will be buying from a dealer?

Whatever way you go be certain you choose a dealer who has a good reputation for aftersales care.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts