Help!! What tow car?

Aug 13, 2005
Visit site
We are interested in upgrading our old caravan to a Lunar Lexon FB which has a miro of 1280 and a mtplm of 1600. It is much too heavy for our Vectra, so we are now looking for a replacement tow car. We would be very grateful of any help in choosing which tow car to use. My husband is an experienced driver with cat C truck licence, but we keep hearing of the horrors of going over 85% kerbweight. Would we need to go for a 4x4 or would we able tow with a bmw 330 or 530 for example (as my husband has fallen in love with A 330 x REG). We have a limited budget so would not be able to by a new model. Please help, as it is giving me a huge headache trying to find the correct kerbweights for vehicles!!!

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
The 85% weight ratio is just a recomendation for caravanners. There's nothing to say that you can't exceed it - in fact for several years, I towed all over Europe with a Citroen BX TZD, a very lightly built car with a powerful engine which put my weight ratio at almost 100%. Providing you drive sensibly and are aware of the short-comings, there is no reason not to use the outfit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
dont know what sort of vectra youve got

Vauxhall Vectra SRi 3.0CDTi V6 24v diesel Estate

Kerb Weight 1662 kg

Towing Limit 1800 kg

but this is one of the bigger cars,most are around the 1300 1450 kgs kbw and towing capacity of 1200- 1500 kgs

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Any 6 cylinder and all diesel BMW 3 and 5 Series have a maximum permissible towload adequate for your needs but at best you won't get below a 92% weight ratio (that would be for the 535 diesel). All 3-Series will, in fact, even be over 100%. Whether you are prepared to go so far over 85% is up to you but I'd at least get one of the heftier 5-Series if I were you.

ps: Klarky's info on the Vectra only applies to the estate. Don't be tempted to think that the saloon would be an alternative.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I appreciate what you are saying, klarky, but I just wanted to point out that only the estate has the 1800kg max towload, not the saloon. Of course, you are right that Leanne's option is not limited to this model. There are several others with a 1600kg limit, which is what she is looking for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The 85% weight ratio is just a recomendation for caravanners. There's nothing to say that you can't exceed it - in fact for several years, I towed all over Europe with a Citroen BX TZD, a very lightly built car with a powerful engine which put my weight ratio at almost 100%. Providing you drive sensibly and are aware of the short-comings, there is no reason not to use the outfit.
Hi John, I had 4 BX's over a 12 year period and agree with what you say.

The lower weight gave a bigger power to weight ratio when the van was on the back than heavier cars and with the levelling suspension it always felt stable.

It also returned the best mpg towing of any of our vehicles.

With emphasis more on safety these days cars have tended to get heavier but the BX certainly was the exception to the 85 per cent guide.

Tow Car of the year 1983 ish !!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have a look at the Mercedes ML 270 cdi. Yes it's a 4x4 but an excellent tug, with a gutsy 5 cyl diesel and excellent autobox. Secondhand prices are about to take a dip as the new model is due anytime and is claimed to be a "great improvement" (as usual).

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Leanne,

Personally and from experience I would not attempt to tow a 1.6 tonne van with any thing less than a 1.9 tonne kerbweight towcar.

Your MTPLM puts you into top of the range Merc,BMW or large 4x4 class of vehicle - with something as heavy AND powerful as that you get the confidence factor of a safe tow and also the ability to go anywhere without the dreaded "will it make it" feeling.

If I have 1.6 tonnes trying to push me down a motorway incline at 60 mph (or more in Europe) I want to be anchored in a big motor!

Anyway, Lexon FB - lovely van and enjoy.

Aug 25, 2005
Visit site
I am about to buy my first caravan We have looked around and have brought a lunar lexon fb 2004 6 berth The max weight is 1600kg My question is about tow cars!!!!!!!!!

I have a 97 300 disco and a vw sharan 1.9tdi The disco is a great car but I want to change it for a new mk3 but cannot afford a new one so I am going to wait for around a year for a second hand one But in the mean time use the vw to tow I have checked with my local dealer about weights ect and he told me It would tow ok Can anyone advise me ?

May 12, 2005
Visit site
I am about to buy my first caravan We have looked around and have brought a lunar lexon fb 2004 6 berth The max weight is 1600kg My question is about tow cars!!!!!!!!!

I have a 97 300 disco and a vw sharan 1.9tdi The disco is a great car but I want to change it for a new mk3 but cannot afford a new one so I am going to wait for around a year for a second hand one But in the mean time use the vw to tow I have checked with my local dealer about weights ect and he told me It would tow ok Can anyone advise me ?
try posting as anew topic you may get your answer

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The Sharan 1.9DTI is OK although, due to the maximum permissible gross train weight of 4000kg, you will not be able to load both car and caravan up their MTPLM's of 2510kg and 1600kg, respectively. The Sharan is, however, approved to tow up to 2000kg so, at 1600kg, you'll be well within that limit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts