Help with the right tow ball please!!

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
We are complete amateurs by the way. This is our first caravan and its a ABI brightstar award 1999. We are ordering our towbar today and have been asked if we need a standard or alko towball with the towbar? We have asked the caravan seller but they don't know as it was left to them in a will. The picture of the hitch in my profile picture.. couldn't get into my photobucket to create a URL but if you click on it I believe it will enlarge. Could I have your opinions on which I need? Thank you so much.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lee
Buy the extended neck Al-ko towball. That way you will never need to upgrade. It will allow attachment of bog standard 50mm hitches as well as Al-ko and BBW friction damper hitches.
Don't forget to remove the black paint from the ball if the fitter doesn't do it for you.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
As above, the Alko has a greater projection from the faceplate to allow the bulkier damping hitch heads to rotate freely. The Alko is certainly applicable to your image, and will suffice for the future if you buy a van with a hitch stabiliser or retrofit one to your van.
You will also have the dilemma regarding electrics - as your van will have twin plugs 7N and 7S where later caravans have the 13 pin standard. There is a 13 plug to twin socket short extension lead available if you decide to choose that option, and again you are future proofed regarding upgrading to a later van.
Also if like me you tow a van with 13 pin and a small trailer (to the tip etc!) then an adapter plug for 7N to 13 pin is available cheaply.
Hope this helps and Happy Caravanning!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts