Help with tow car

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
I'm a relatively newcomer to caravanning as I last did it 30 years ago! Currently I have a Mercedes E230 (vintage '97) and an '03 Honda CRV, both are automatic and petrol.

From what I can make out, the Honda would be very limited as regards tow capacity whereas the Mercedes would "appear" to be OK-I say that as the Merc handbook is not very "English" as far as I'm concerned! What I am looking for is advice as to whether the Mercedes would be a reasonable prospect for use as a towing vehicle or whether I should really change one or the other for some other automatic, which I'm prepared to do if necessary. For your guidance I am contemplating buying a caravan with a notional 1100/1150kg. All advice would be appreciated.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken

I tow with a Honda CRV manual. A bit older than yours mine is a 99 model. I tow a Lunar with a MiRO of just over 1,000kg and a MTPLM of near 1300Kg and I am very pleased with the way it tows. It always performs well cruising in 5th gear on the mororway and it has got me off of some 'sticky' CL's in the past no problem. Unfortunately you will bombarded with loads of people telling you that the vehicle they drive is the best for you when as we know car choice is a personal thing. My advice is give the Honda a go and I think there are other CRV owners out there who will agree with me.

Regards Martyn

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken

I tow with a Honda CRV manual. A bit older than yours mine is a 99 model. I tow a Lunar with a MiRO of just over 1,000kg and a MTPLM of near 1300Kg and I am very pleased with the way it tows. It always performs well cruising in 5th gear on the mororway and it has got me off of some 'sticky' CL's in the past no problem. Unfortunately you will bombarded with loads of people telling you that the vehicle they drive is the best for you when as we know car choice is a personal thing. My advice is give the Honda a go and I think there are other CRV owners out there who will agree with me.

Regards Martyn
Thanks for your interest Martyn. I've now discovered that the max Honda recommend to tow for the auto version is 1200kg so it looks as if I'll have to concentrate on the Mercedes as the tow car. Thanks again.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't know what the maximum permissible towload of a '97 E-class Merc is but the current model is rated at 1900kg and I wouldn't imagine that yours is much less. It's a popular towcar here on the Continent and I've seen some enormous twinaxle caravans behind them so 1100/1150kg would be a piece of cake.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ken, be aware that 2003 CRV automatic has got a max tow limit of 1200kg. Honda also recommend the fitting of an additional oil cooler.I run a petrol CRV which has proved competent and I get approx 23mpg towing but it can be less than that when towing caravan and bikes on car roof. I have colleagues who have the automatic and it is heavy on petrol solo so I think that at best you would get 20mpg towing.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
I don't know what the maximum permissible towload of a '97 E-class Merc is but the current model is rated at 1900kg and I wouldn't imagine that yours is much less. It's a popular towcar here on the Continent and I've seen some enormous twinaxle caravans behind them so 1100/1150kg would be a piece of cake.
Thanks very much for your help. I've now gone ahead and bought a caravan of 1350kg and will use the Mercedes E230 to tow. If there is anyone out there with any further advice re this set-up I would be very grateful.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Ken, be aware that 2003 CRV automatic has got a max tow limit of 1200kg. Honda also recommend the fitting of an additional oil cooler.I run a petrol CRV which has proved competent and I get approx 23mpg towing but it can be less than that when towing caravan and bikes on car roof. I have colleagues who have the automatic and it is heavy on petrol solo so I think that at best you would get 20mpg towing.
Thanks for your guidance. I have now decided to keep the Honda for other use and use the Mercedes for the tow vehicle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts