May 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi All, I feel like a complete idiot! I have purchased a second hand Abbey Vogue GTS 214 2 bearth caravan and expected (don't laugh) to flick a switch and everything would be working. Obviously that is not the case. I have absolutely no idea. I towed the caravan home and that was fine. I would be very very grateful if someone could chat to me to explain what I need to do... I have tried to find the user handbook from swift but am unable to source. If anyone has any ideas? Idiot me ! Thank you in advance, Nicki

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi All, I feel like a complete idiot! I have purchased a second hand Abbey Vogue GTS 214 2 bearth caravan and expected (don't laugh) to flick a switch and everything would be working. Obviously that is not the case. I have absolutely no idea. I towed the caravan home and that was fine. I would be very very grateful if someone could chat to me to explain what I need to do... I have tried to find the user handbook from swift but am unable to source. If anyone has any ideas? Idiot me ! Thank you in advance, Nicki

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about it as every one had to start somewhere and we all asked the same questions. Can you tell us the year of manufacture of the caravan as that may help you get the correct answers?

However have you checked to see when last was the caravan serviced? If it is a long time ago then I suggest that you get an Approved Workshop Scheme service technician to check and servcei it as soon as possible for your own safety. Cost is about £160 on average and they come to your premises. BTW how old are the tyres as that is a safety and roadworthy issue?

Although not compulsory it is suggested that you get the caravan insured for mainly third party claims. A caravan as old as the Abbey should not cost too much to insure.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What year is it? Could you not contact the seller/dealer and talk to them on what to do. It’s not just one thing. There’s power 240 volt electrics to connect. Then fill water system hot and cold. Set fridge to gas or electric. When tank is full set hot water to gas or electric. Try caravan heater on gas or electric. A few photos of key parts like power supply unit, room heater, hot water and room heater controls would help. When was it last serviced. A good technician would lead you through the aspects as they are working on it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The year of manufacture will be needed to provide help. But lots can be found by Googling. I found this service handbook for a 2002.

Also there are lots of brochures.

If info can’t be found on the operation of systems. Lots are generic for vans of their time. Heating and charging systems for example.

John

May 27, 2021
Visit site
Thank you everyone... I am relieved that you are all being very very kind to me. The year of the carravan is 2000. I live in county Clare, Ireland. The caravan was brought new and used 5 times by the previous owners and kept in a good shed. I will Google and see what I can find re approved workshop technician. I have googled the owners manual and have been unable to find the exact one. My plan is to call Swift and see if they can let me have a copy. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Bard Rooney
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, There are a lot of people, who buy things on a whim, and then find they dont know how to use them. As you drive around have a look near to where you live, and see if there is anyone with a caravan. Knock on the door and explain your problem, most folk are willing to help.
Unfortunatley on most caravans there is more than one switch to turn on, and the gas has valves on the bottle, and valves in the gas lines, etc.
Good luck, others here will help.

May 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi, can I just say a big thank you . I contacted an approved workshop technician in co. Wicklow called Green Meadow Farm and he was brilliant and even willing for me to WhatsApp queries despite being ever so busy. He directed me to Sweeny's in Clonmel and I have the caravan booked in for a service on Saturday at 9am and they will show me how to use the caravan and make sure all is fit and healthy. Great stuff!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree that googling the model and year should help you find the handbook which will help. The model ran for several years and will have changed over them so the year is needed for anyone here to help.
Looking at hooking up, pitching and most other jobs go to you tube and you will see good demonstrations of how to do this. You might even find something illustrating your caravan, or at least a model from the range for that year. which will show you how it all works.
Basically you need a cable that runs from a hook up on the site into the caravan, the cable will plug into a connection under a flap on the side of the caravan, probably the offside. Once connected most of the electrics will work but the pump will have a switch 0f its own and needs to only be switched on when there is water in the water container. Everything will have a switch but it may be trial and error to work out which is which.
The fridge will be a three way model working normally on gas or electricity and you can switch between them as need be. The battery option is for when towing and keeps the temperature down when travelling but will not work except when the car engine is running.
I did find one advertised for sale and that had Truma blown air heating. This would be operated by rotary knobs probably in the lounge area and should work on both gas and electricity, it uses a fan to blow warm air around the caravan using vents at floor level. Again hopefully you should find a demonstration of how to operate this on you tube. It may have Alde wet heating though as an alternative to the Truma. This works on gas or electricity but uses radiators rather like a domestic system.
If you have specific questions though please ask them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, can I just say a big thank you . I contacted an approved workshop technician in co. Wicklow called Green Meadow Farm and he was brilliant and even willing for me to WhatsApp queries despite being ever so busy. He directed me to Sweeny's in Clonmel and I have the caravan booked in for a service on Saturday at 9am and they will show me how to use the caravan and make sure all is fit and healthy. Great stuff!
That’s good news. Saturday amazing; as here you could be up to 6 months wait for a service. Hope it all goes well.

May 19, 2021
Visit site
Thank you everyone... I am relieved that you are all being very very kind to me. The year of the carravan is 2000. I live in county Clare, Ireland. The caravan was brought new and used 5 times by the previous owners and kept in a good shed. I will Google and see what I can find re approved workshop technician. I have googled the owners manual and have been unable to find the exact one. My plan is to call Swift and see if they can let me have a copy. Any other advice would be much appreciated.
Hello there and welcome. I’ve only joined this forum this week and I’ve found everyone really helpful so far too. We’re in Co Down and we’re booked in August to go down to Co Kerry and I cannot wait , we haven’t been away since Oct ‘19 due to covid 😭 YouTube is also a great place for hints and tips too. Regards, Bernarde.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts