Here we go again :O(

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Six hundred years of tradition have been been tossed aside as organisers cancelled a pancake race in Yorkshire.

The Shrove Tuesday race in Ripon usually attracts hundreds of people to watch local schools and businesses tossing pancakes through the city's cobbled streets.

But this year, organisers have called a halt to the race because of the time and costs involved in having to put the necessary precautions and regulations in place.

Bernard Bateman, Liberal Democrat councillor for Ripon North and one of the organisers, blamed "bureaucracy".

He said: "The main problem is the health and safety aspects and issues such as that. There is bureaucracy that goes into holding any event these days, the policing, the risk assessments, and it has a cost factor and takes a lot of time."

Organisers were told they would have to pay £250 to the local authority to close Kirkgate Road, where the race took place.

They would also have to hold insurance risk assessments and pay to have medical staff on hand in case of any injuries or accidents.

The Pancake Bell has rung for 600 years and was traditionally used to signal the start of the race, which was revived in 1998 by former Dean of Ripon John Methuen.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my capacity as (voluntary) Project Manager for our new village hall, I am plagued by ridiculous H&S rules.

The latest one concerns window cleaning. Because the new building has a lantrn roof, the windows in this roof section will be difficult to reach.H&S decreed that we must fit safety hooks in the ceiling to attach fall-arrestor equipment to. This would cost

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Just unbelievable Emmo, they really make me want to puke. Are these people a different race of people, sent here to screw up the country?

If so the sooner they all die the better or go back to whatever planet they are from.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The trouble is that they are going to the nth. degree to be able to justify their existance. If they did not introduce such bureaucratic rules they would appear to be a waste of public money. It is time that Joe Public united and told our bureaucratic government that we are fed up with their crazy ideas. It is the barmy left that are causing the problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The trouble is that they are going to the nth. degree to be able to justify their existance. If they did not introduce such bureaucratic rules they would appear to be a waste of public money. It is time that Joe Public united and told our bureaucratic government that we are fed up with their crazy ideas. It is the barmy left that are causing the problems.
Colin, I have united, and told them to get stuffed, all by myself!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts