Hey. I'm new here. Kind of...

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
Hey everyone. My name is Nigel Donnelly. I've recently rejoined the forum after a few years away, pouring money into a VW camper. With funds getting too tight for such toys and a tumbledown house competing for investment, we bought a caravan which we are updating to our taste and needs.

The van is a 1998 Bailey Ranger-based dealer special and we are writing up various aspects of the updates for Sarah at Practical Caravan magazine. I know Sarah well as I used to edit the magazine until around 2014. I always favoured older vans and projects and that remains the case today. Our Bailey is a great size for us and our two dogs. I am currently trying to undo some 'modifications' by previous owners and make it happier to survive away from the hook-up.

For anyone who remembers me from those days, feel free to say hello. You'll likely find me in the technical forums talking about battery management and plumbing.

Hello again, best regards and happy travels to you all!

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone. My name is Nigel Donnelly. I've recently rejoined the forum after a few years away, pouring money into a VW camper. With funds getting too tight for such toys and a tumbledown house competing for investment, we bought a caravan which we are updating to our taste and needs.

The van is a 1998 Bailey Ranger-based dealer special and we are writing up various aspects of the updates for Sarah at Practical Caravan magazine. I know Sarah well as I used to edit the magazine until around 2014. I always favoured older vans and projects and that remains the case today. Our Bailey is a great size for us and our two dogs. I am currently trying to undo some 'modifications' by previous owners and make it happier to survive away from the hook-up.

For anyone who remembers me from those days, feel free to say hello. You'll likely find me in the technical forums talking about battery management and plumbing.

Hello again, best regards and happy travels to you all!
Hi Nigel and welcome back. Be interested in seeing the progress on the caravan.

Reactions: Dougieboard
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do remember you and welcome back. I seem to remember an article that you wrote regarding visiting a salt shop on an island just off the coast of France?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nigel,
Welcome back, still fondly recall the final night of our rally at Mont St Michel, several of us stay in touch, and meet up occasionally, any news on your sidekick Mark from that rally?

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
Hello Nigel,
Welcome back, still fondly recall the final night of our rally at Mont St Michel, several of us stay in touch, and meet up occasionally, any news on your sidekick Mark from that rally?
Hey Woodsieboy! That was a funny night. I seem to recall an issue where they rationed the wine and we had to mutiny to get topped up!

I saw Mark in November. He now lives in Atlanta with his wife and kids and works for CNN. He's done alright for himself! We are due another visit over there, but a bit far for the van!

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
I do remember you and welcome back. I seem to remember an article that you wrote regarding visiting a salt shop on an island just off the coast of France?
Wow. Well remembered! Yes, that was a trip to the Ile de Re. Beautiful place. Those were the days when you could ask nicely and borrow a Range Rover Sport and a new Swift Challenger to go with it. I also remember having to reverse car and van alongside the main quayside for a photo. That focuses the mind... :)

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi Nigel and welcome back. Be interested in seeing the progress on the caravan.
Thanks otherclive. Good to hear from you.

The van was good value on FB marketplace - £1200 for a dry five-berth van. It has a few issues. The fridge has been replaced by a floor-level microwave and mains fridge combo - not very nice and not much use off-grid. The gas had been disconnected and the water filter had been jammed into the inlet. Gradually sorting them out! Other than that, it is just a lot of brittle plastics, old accessories and a dated internal appearance as you might expect at a couple of years shy of a quarter of a century. I'll dig out some pictures of the progress!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi
......ah the good old days:)

Rallies at Stowford Farm Meadows and great Q&A sessions with yourself and Doug King.
Several attendees from those days still meet up after forming the Woosies....a group of caravanners who try to meet up once a year.
There is a thread on this forum devoted to our antics!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Welcome back Nigel, glad that you've rejoined us as a caravanner.
We will look forward to reading about your caravan renovation and hopefully your comments will inspire others to keep older caravans on the road.
We'd love to see you at one of our Woosiefests, they started off as a result of us meeting up at one of the Stowford rallies. 🙂

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi
......ah the good old days:)

Rallies at Stowford Farm Meadows and great Q&A sessions with yourself and Doug King.
Several attendees from those days still meet up after forming the Woosies....a group of caravanners who try to meet up once a year.
There is a thread on this forum devoted to our antics!!

Bless old Doug. Sadly missed. They were funny days!

We still head off to the odd music festival with Gentleman Jack from Practical Motorhome who was usually on those panels too, disgracing the rest of us with his bow tie and blazer. Great you are still all keeping in touch. Really lovely to hear

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
Welcome back Nigel, glad that you've rejoined us as a caravanner.
We will look forward to reading about your caravan renovation and hopefully your comments will inspire others to keep older caravans on the road.
We'd love to see you at one of our Woosiefests, they started off as a result of us meeting up at one of the Stowford rallies. 🙂
Cheers Parksy.
The caravan is still a bit of a project, but it is improving. I think my favourite part so far was removing a tyre from the van which was older than the van itself. It wasn't in bad shape, either! You'll all be pleased to know we have sported a pair of new ones now...

Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Bless old Doug. Sadly missed. They were funny days!

We still head off to the odd music festival with Gentleman Jack from Practical Motorhome who was usually on those panels too, disgracing the rest of us with his bow tie and blazer. Great you are still all keeping in touch. Really lovely to hear
One of the best music festivals in England with the most friendly laid back atmosphere is the Twinwood Festival, held over every August Bank Holiday weekend in Clapham, near Bedford.
There are caravan and motorhome pitches on site, food and drink at reasonable prices there and the festival is sold out every year.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wow. Well remembered! Yes, that was a trip to the Ile de Re. Beautiful place. Those were the days when you could ask nicely and borrow a Range Rover Sport and a new Swift Challenger to go with it. I also remember having to reverse car and van alongside the main quayside for a photo. That focuses the mind... :)
Shortly afterwards we visited the same shop so thanks for the heads up. See picture.
Salt shop.jpg

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts