Hey there

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Evening guys & gals,

Completely new to the caravan scene, have two weimaraners and got fed up looking for pet friendly B&B's, which are often really expensive so decided a caravan was the best way to move forward. So after much debate with the wife, who was brought up on Norfolk broads boat holidays we purchased a 2008 Ace Award Firestar and collect it on Friday and want to go instantly.

After all the jokes passed about being two young, her 28 & me 30 people began to see the benefits of it.

Now being new I have a rough idea what I need, can anyone suggest the best waste and water carriers to buy? Also does anyone knows the size of waste pipe I need to buy to connect to the caravan?

Thanks in advance for the help

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum C6.

There are many types of water/waste containers on the market, the most popular seems to be the Aqua Roll versions, but others do the same job, also consider the size the aquaroll is available in two sizes 25l and 40l we have the bigger one, last that little bit longer.
Word of caution, just looked on flea bay and there are white see through water containers available, dont go there the sun will breed the algae in them.

Waste pipe 28.5mm on here also you may need to make up a double or single outlet depending on your van. May also be cheaper at local caravan dealer -- no postage!!

Oh and enjoy your new found freedom, we were about the same age when we first started.
Oh and just to let you know there are quite a few ladies on here as well as the guys :lol: :kiss:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on buying your first tourer.
Before you embark on your first trip check that the caravan tyres are in good condition and properly inflated.. Try to find out how old the tyres are.
Ideally caravan tyres should be replaced after 5 years, certainly after 7 years, even though there may be lots of tread left on them.
This is because rubber deteriorates over time and the sidewalls can become weakened leading to the possibility of motorway punctures or even blow outs.
Have a browse through the Towsure catalogue to see things like Aquarolls and Wastemasters.
Enjoy your first trip and if there's anything you're not sure about just ask. ;)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi C6. We began caravanning for exactly the same reasons( 2 spaniels). My only advice would be to take things slowly and don't be in a rush to get all the stuff you see on the shelves. After a few trips you will realise what you need to take which will keep the weight down and make the journey a lot easier and safer.

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the Forum. Go and buy a copy of Practical Caravan, there are always lots of adverts for various accessories.

Also as per advice already, check caravan tyre dates and that it not subject to finance deal, etc. It is worth having a mate with you for some of the initial decisions too be made. Rule by your head and not your eys and heart.

Enjoy your new hobby though, it gets infectious.

Sir Brian of Stevenage B)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome C6 and Mrs C6.

Congratulations. We started at 26 with a tiny 12ft van with no mains. The kids and dogs loved it.We've never regretted any caravanner holiday including a six week torrential rainfall tour of the Scottish Islands.
If you have any questions please ask.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning!
You mentioned the Norfolk Broads. We have just had a wonderful week at the Caravan Club Broads site at Ludham (near Ludham Bridge), which we would thoroughly recommend. They have a dog walking area there too.

Happy and safe caravanning :)

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Finally pick up our caravan and got home no problem. This is where the fun began, went to reverse up to the space at the side of my house, I always knew it would be tight to get in but I managed. As we went to push it back further the caravan sunk into my chips leaving it almost leaning on the house.....Disaster. Quick thinking with a jack and board we got it away from house and parked perfect. Then the starter packed up on the car, so needless to say we had fallen out of love with caravaning already after that. But feeling more positive after a nights sleep. A few practises at side of house and some slabs laid and it will be perfect, might even have to purchase a mover to help.

Regards Colin & Frankie

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

A motor mover is worth its weight in gold, and it is probably a lot cheaper than having to try and get you caravan repaired if you ding it, because as you say, you are in a tight space.
Also good for your back and you no longer have worry about trying to reverse the van onto a pitch.

Always worth carrying a couple of wide bits of thick planking for those times when you park up on soft ground to go under the wheels. To finish off, invest in some pads for the caravan steadies if not already fitted. Nothing worse than the steadings sinking into the grass as you wind them down. Cost about a tenner.

Anyway, enjoy the forum, you will will always get good advice.

Regards,

Sir Brian of Stevenage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts