HGV drivers have a difficult job!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
From what I could make out, some of the problems arose because there were large articulated trucks attempting to enter spaces that are not really suitable at inappropriate times.
Our roads are very congested, it's a fact that motorists and hgv drivers are all impatient and companies, supermarkets etc expect large loads to be delivered into small spaces on streets never designed to cope with HGV traffic.
The lorry driver in the first clip tailgating the car should be prosecuted, it's dangerous and there's no excuse for it.

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Badly designed roads can be a problem although possibly most of these are down to the drivers. I do remember one roundabout near us being altered and trucks going to the the steelworks it served being unable to turn right to get in as there was not enough room for them. The roundabout was altered to allow them to et round following which it was announced the steel works would close.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is a series of about 6 of these Youtube videos under the heading Unbelievable UK lorry drivers. A few are clearly in the wrong, but the majority show extraordinary skills getting out of some tight situations so hats off to them for doing a very difficult job.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There is a series of about 6 of these Youtube videos under the heading Unbelievable UK lorry drivers. A few are clearly in the wrong, but the majority show extraordinary skills getting out of some tight situations so hats off to them for doing a very difficult job.
The job can be as difficult as you make it, and a bit stressful at times Buckman, so when driving a large HGV on British roads, patience and tolerance helps a lot.
I was taught to look into the road or space that I wanted to enter before I committed to it, because it's too late if you later find yourself stuck.
You need to keep good all round observations, other road users can be impatient or can make mistakes, but nobody deserves to be injured or worse because of a silly mistake.
I really enjoyed my years when I drove articulated lorries along the highways and byways of Britain in spite of the situations that sometimes arose.
It was no good kicking the cat or shouting at the kids when I arrived home after a few days on the road.
It's best to keep calm, accept the challenges and do the job as easily and painlessly as possible 😌

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The job can be as difficult as you make it, and a bit stressful at times Buckman, so when driving a large HGV on British roads, patience and tolerance helps a lot.
I was taught to look into the road or space that I wanted to enter before I committed to it, because it's too late if you later find yourself stuck.
You need to keep good all round observations, other road users can be impatient or can make mistakes, but nobody deserves to be injured or worse because of a silly mistake.
I really enjoyed my years when I drove articulated lorries along the highways and byways of Britain in spite of the situations that sometimes arose.
It was no good kicking the cat or shouting at the kids when I arrived home after a few days on the road.
It's best to keep calm, accept the challenges and do the job as easily and painlessly as possible 😌
My two ex son in laws clearly didn’t have your approach to life on the road or off it. Thankfully both don’t drive HGVs any longer. 🙈

Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My two ex son in laws clearly didn’t have your approach to life on the road or off it. Thankfully both don’t drive HGVs any longer. 🙈
The ups and downs that we encounter over time has taught me that it's really not worth getting worked up about anything Clive.
Lorry driving can test one's patience if you let it, divorce is a fairly severe test but health and mobility issues in later life for me have reinforced the idea that life is much easier with a laid back approach.

Reactions: otherclive
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I reckon I upset a cement mixer driver today with van in tow. Approached roadwork lights on green, however lots of traffic still pushing through feom the other side. After the last vehicle I edged forward only for lights to go red. Alas, more traffic started moving from other direction, so I sat and waited leaving a smaller than desirable gap for traffic to get through. Sods law, a cement lorry coming my way. Someone behind so I couldn’t have reversed. Had to do a bit of slow shuffling forward to the left to make room of him to struggle past. He had his window down, hope he heard me shout “sorry” out of my open window but didn’t hear a reply, maybe best I didn’t!
My schoolboy mistake was to move forward assuming that there would be time to make it through on the green phase. I should have sat back behind the sign and waited to see what transpired. I’ve had had words with myself about that piece of driving and lesson learned! I just wonder what was being said in that cab…. Something like an expletive followed by “caravanners”. ☺. Sorry to let the side down folks!

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are all human and in that vein all react to life and situations differently, some people [like you] deal with life calmly and check assess all angles before taking action.so when driving and in life your actions reflect this. From reading all comments you can see that not everyone is the same so that is why taking care and keeping to the road roads is so important, not everyone agrees with this. A few lorry drivers are more cavalier in their driving but there are just as many if not more who are good and conscientious drivers thankfully and care about other road users,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts