Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.....My name is Rich and my wife is Gail,we have 2 lads and are 100%, complete novices at caravan ownership. We have just purchased (via Ebay) a 1996 Twin axle Coachman VIP 500/5 at a reasonable price as a tester and to see if we enjoy caravaning in general. Any advice and help will be gratefully accepted.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Gail & Rich. Not forgetting the lads welcome also.
Family caravanning in my opinion is the best form of enjoying the hobby.
We have had brilliant times over the years. However we are still very much enjoying the hobby but now it's usually just my wife and myself who venture forth. Other family now have a preference for breaks that usually begin in an airport.

You will get great advice from the many knowledgeable members of this forum. My starter would be to tell you to start off by not being too ambitious, try a few long weekends where you can get used to using the facilities of your caravan and trying to decide what actual items you really do need to take with you. This will help before venturing off on longer holidays and more distant destinations.
But most of all enjoy it and keep a sense of humour.
Best wishes for safe and happy caravanning.
Brian

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably the best place to look for general information is on the Caravan Club website. Check the bottom of the home page and there is help on most things and access to useful leaflets. If you have specific queriesplease post them on here and someone is bound to kmow.
Not sure what equipment you have but a fair bit is needed. Off hand you need gas, an electric hook up cable, fresh and waste water containers and waste outlet pipes and a leisure battery.
Inside basically you need bedding, cutlery, pans crockery and a kettle but most of these can be brought fromhome but melamine or similar crockery is more likely to survive.
You will probably have to reverse onto your pitch which is something you learn with time. You neeed to be just past where you want to pitch and you use opposite lock to turn the caravan. It sounds difficult but you do get the hang of it and there is usually someone around who wil help. Do not be afraid to ask.

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Cheers Raywood.......The reversing shouldn't be a problem......I'm a Class 1 Driver......Wagon and Drag......but i hadn't even thought of half the things you mentioned so thanks all the same

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts