Hi guys, I've got questions!

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My name is John and I am planning on returning to the UK in the next few weeks after being abroad for a couple of years. I was thinking about the best way to affordably reintegrate back in to the UK and with rent prices the way they are right now the thought of a caravan sprang to mind!

Obviously this may be a complete pie in the sky idea but then I thought well come ask the people that know! I was thinking that while looking for a job it may well be an idea to buy a cheap car/caravan combo that I could live in for a few weeks (maybe longer if I take to it) while I decide where I will be settling (probably back in Dorset as that is where I was based before leaving but will go where the work takes me).

So my first and basic question is, am I being stupid? :)
Am I going to run in to prolems with where I can park it? Are caravan sites my only choice really and if so are they going to be cheap enough to make it worth my while?
Also what costs may I just not be understanding never having owned a caravan before? I understand I will need to buy car, caravan, car insurance, caravan insurance and car tax but are there any other little "requirements" I may not know of?

Sorry quite a few questions but to be fair I warned you guys in the title! :)

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is quite a lot if you use the search facility, here is one thread which gives some useful info/:
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/52679-caravan-rules-living-etc#413188

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Damian,

Yeah I have indeed been trawling through the posts on here there are just a lot and to be totally honest I didn't really know where to start! I will stick to the search function though by all means.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi John , welcome to the Forum , hopefully you will get helpfull replys.
Depending on your work area, you might want to think about a caravan and maybe a campervan, so that you can pitch up and travel to look for work and still stay mobile,
I have worked in Nigeria for the last 20 + years and required to be out of UK for tax. And loved the European , life, but at the same time missing the best Country in the world, Scotland, ( dipping for the Incomming). Lots of problems ahead for you, length of stays, minimal facilities, etc. Good luck, a good thread.
Hutch.

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Hutch,

I wondered about a campervan/motorhome too but they seem a little more on the pricey side from what I have seen (so far of course!) but definitely something I will look in to, I even read a few posts about buying in Germany and driving them over to the UK as you can save quite a lot of cash that way but to be honest I think I need cheap and cheerful at the moment rahter than trying to get too clever for myself straight off the bat. :)

Nigeria is definitely on my list! I hear it is beautiful out there.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes it is , and I am being very truthfull., Loved and Hated the place. BUT, cannot didn't any camping stop overs that I would recomend.. !!!!.
First thing , get your tax sorted, easier than you think then no problems.
:cheer:

May 29, 2016
Visit site
That bad with the taxes huh? That's a whole bridge I have yet to cross! Hopefully as I have been a poorly paid dive instructor I wont have to cough up too much!.... Thanks for the tip though! :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No John, Uk tax easy, best thing went too accountant , sorted , no problems, .my mind was woried,. All ok 35 years , O Seas.
Back to thread.
Time allowed on sites, max 30 days longer term places but higher costs etc.
Ok come on others , lets help John. .

Hutch

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Just be aware that a permanent address will needed to insure & tax both car & caravan (best option for you) plus you will need a permanent address for a myriad of other legal things .wild camping is not allowed in England & Wales ,so you will have to use small campsites ,who by law have a maximum stay of 28 days

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi John,

I've been living in my caravan for the past 7 months.

As has been mentioned - you will need a postal address. If you can sort that out, the rest is plain sailing.

Join one, or both, of the caravan clubs and you'll be able to use their Certificated Locations/Sites - small, quiet sites that only take up to 5 caravans.

These tend to be cheap (£12 - £15 per night is common) with varying levels of facilities but you can't stay more than 28 days at a time.

You can stay as long as you like (in theory) on a commercial site but you'll pay a lot more (think - £20 - £25 per night or more) - unless you're on a seasonal pitch. I moved onto a seasonal pitch in March and will be here until the middle of November - at £10 - £11 per night it's the cheapest option.

The postal address is the only real problem - everything else is easily overcome.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts