Hi guys, looking for very first motorhome!

Mar 25, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just joined this as I have an interest in purchasing a motorhome for the first time. Complete novice, watched a load of videos and there are so many variations/configurations. There seems to be compromises on loads that I've looked at, but they suit others.

Is there one that ticks the following boxes at all?

1/ Low profile/compact so it's shorter than 6mtrs and able to drive on B class (normal license).
2/ Ideally a fixed double bed at the rear (island if at all possible or french). No need for bed above the cabin.
3/ Decent galley counter space.
4/ Medium/large sized fridge.
5/ Decent sized shower.
No need for a garage, but a bonus.
Solar panels or option to add them to stay off mains as long as possible.

All the motorhomes I've looked at online are too big, no galley surfaces, too many beds, single beds... just something that nearly checks all the boxes, but then something big puts me off.

Thank you :)

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome, Anarchist (love the handle, VERY motorhome!)
Are you looking at new vans, or used ones? And what's your budget?
One like ours would tick most of your boxes, although the shower is a bit cosy.
It's a 2005 Bürstner, 6m long with a "French bed" (fixed lengthways double, with a slight cutoff at one corner). Solar panel, locker under the bed.
So they are out there, it's just about finding the right one.

Mar 25, 2018
Visit site
Hey Tony,

Budget is an approx. figure right now, but what I'm looking at is if there is anything that actually checks all the boxes. Keeping my eyes wide open to see what is out there used / new.

Do you have a model number for the one you're thinking of? All the ones I find are over 6mtrs.

I just found a nice site that suggests depending on what you're after depending on the style of bed etc...

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide-advice/motorhomes/details/french-bed-motorhome-layouts/19

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You are asking for a motorhome that is the size of a pint pot and designed to carry a quart. It doesn't exist so you will have to compromise somewhere; we all do. Have a look at AutoSleeper PVCs [panel van conversions]. AutoSleepers are pretty good on the kitchen side of things. I'd also have a look at 'Vans' which have been built by German companies for a few years npw - Hymer being the original 'van' builder. However, you will find compromises on kitchen and bathroom space if you want a fixed bed in 6m. This is the current version of the Hymer van:

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/33356-hymer-van-314
Pilote have been in the UK market, like Hymer, for decades so are worth a look:

https://www.pilote-motorhome.uk/find-your-motorhome/pacific-range_low-profile_less-than-6-5-metres_french-bed

Drop down beds are a godsend if length/space is an issue. We've had three A-class motorhomes with them. There are compromises, no surprise there, but you do get a lot of van in a short space - the equivalent to 1.5m in my current 6m A-class - if you can live with drop down beds.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
My Bürstner is a t585 "Privilege," cost me €22000 last year, here in France, with 70000km (about 46000 miles) on the clock (starting to sound like a For Sale ad now - IT'S NOT.).
Chausson also do some 6m low profiles with various layouts, which are well worth looking at.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts