HI, I am trying to become a recycled caravanner and am out of...

Apr 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi I spent 45 years camping under canvas surrounded by (including parents) caravanners with the Sussex and then West Sussex District Association of Camping Club then the Folk Group of the CCGBI.

Now in my 64th year I want to get going again but not tenting or trailer tenting. I am missing some height - only 5ft 1 inch.

I have a Ford Fiesta LX 1.4 year 04.

All frame tent and camping equipment except my loo and loo tent and cooker etc I sent out to Sunami appeal.

I do not want anything fancy - just the basics that will keep my parrot, very tiny yorkie and I dry and are easily manageable.

Please can anyone help aadvice, as I am getting confused by the searches I have done on the web this afternoon.

Happy camping - wish I was right now.

You are welcome to email me direct on gill.bridge@tiscali.co.uk if you like.

Gill

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I am by no means an expert, but you may struggle to get a caravan that is light enough for you to tow with a fiesta (if you even can).

I struggled to get a 'van light enough for my focus estate. To play with various tow-cars and caravan combinations, try www.whattowcar.com I think you may need a different car though if you want a caravan, and if you are planning on getting a new 'van a heavier vehicle will be required.

Re-reading that actually made me sound like I knew what I was talking about, but anyway please check your car-caravan kerbweight Vs MTPLM. I was lucky and wasn't mislead (although I did my own research) But I have read stories on this forum where people have been sold caravans that can't be towed by their tow-car !! Beware !

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Just looked on the towsure website, and they sell a towbar for the Fiesta.

You'll probably only be able to tow a matchbox trailer mind you !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The older the better (as in most cases...........what?) sounds like the case for you, Gill. I'm talking caravan here. Once upon a time caravans were lightly constructed. They were light because they had the minimum of equipment, it's these models that might be worth looking for. A small van from the mid Eighties should suit your car. Careful loading of van and car should ensure safe travel. Beware though, good ones from that era are hard to find, information on weights may be missing too, so do your homework. You could as an alternative look at the more modern vans such as a Freedom or Tab, if you have a budget in mind we could probably help you further.

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
The older the better (as in most cases...........what?) sounds like the case for you, Gill. I'm talking caravan here. Once upon a time caravans were lightly constructed. They were light because they had the minimum of equipment, it's these models that might be worth looking for. A small van from the mid Eighties should suit your car. Careful loading of van and car should ensure safe travel. Beware though, good ones from that era are hard to find, information on weights may be missing too, so do your homework. You could as an alternative look at the more modern vans such as a Freedom or Tab, if you have a budget in mind we could probably help you further.
Don't be put off by all these negative replies, Gill. I saw a Peugeot 206 quite happily pulling a Compass Echo this weekend no problems. Family of four in car, with all their equipment in the van. They just used an awning for the extra living space when pitched up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmy, mine wasn't a negative comment. Indeed it was meant quite the other way.

Just because you saw a Pug 205 towing a caravan, don't assume that it was legal or safe.

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Don't be disheartened by these replies, Gill. I saw a petrol engine Peugeot 206 (small car like yours) happily towing a Compass Echo (2 berth)this weekend. Family of four in car with all their stuff in the van. They just used an awning for the extra living space needed.

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
No there's not, emmerson. Surely they're both fairly small petrol engined mini hatch run abouts! I've driven both in my time, and they never felt that different to me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmy - the Peugeot is a heavier car especially if it is a diesel engined vehicle. I have seen many 206 diesels pulling a caravan with little problems but can't recall seeing a Fiesta ever towing. The late 1990s models were not designed for towing and Ford did not construct them with reinforced towing points.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Emmy, I missed your reply. As Colin said, the 206 is a much bigger, heavier car than the Fiesta. The Peugeot 106 or 1007 is more Fiesta sized, and I certainly would not want to tow with either of those! (other than a small camping trailer)

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Hang on Hang on......I have owned both of these cars and i would say there is very little difference in the two. The peugeot is ever so slightly larger and a little heavier. My current caravan (bailey beachcomber 350/2)has a miro weight of 633kg and can be towed by this size of car quite safely. if you arent fussed about size too much why dont you look at the 'going caravan or the wheelhome sprintaway? they are very small but have all the mod cons inc microwave!

To throw a spanner in the works,here are the max tow weights for the aforementioned vehicles.

Peugeot 206 1.6 Towing Limit 1100 kg

Fiesta 1.4 Duratec (80 PS) max towing limit 900kg

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CARAVAN SEARCH!

TRENDING THREADS