Hi i'm new advice wanted if anyone can help?

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi we are looking at buying our 1st caravan, we only have around £2000 to spend, if anyone could give us some advice on what to look for and any best models esp as we know we will be getting quite an old one for what we have to spend! We looking at a 2berth as we have a vw multivan with double bed in too, we have looked at one that seemed ok it was an ABI DAYSTAR 91/92 up for £1300 looked tidy and we are hopefully looking at this one tom (see link below hope it works!), but don't think it has an oven is this usual don't think i've seen a caravan yet with no oven? Any opinions and advice would be gratefully recieved, many thanks.;

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Don't worry Helen, clickable links don't really work on this forum because it uses an old format. I converted it for you.

The caravan in the advert is an Avondale, this company ceased trading last year so spare parts might be a problem.

Not every caravan has an oven, I noticed that the Avondale has burners and a grill so unless you were considering holding dinner parties or cooking the Sunday roast in the caravan you should be ok.

The main thing to look out for in any caravan is signs of damp or water ingress. Pay particular attention to the Avondale because they were known to suffer from hairline cracks in the front and rear grp panels which allowed water to enter causing damp.

Look in all of the corners, under bed boxes and at the walls inside lockers and lift the rubbers around the front windows slightly.

Any signs of soft spots, bubbles, black mould or the 'wallpaper' lifting is indicative of damp.

There are a few pointers Here and a good browse around the Home Page of this website ( click on home page inside the blue box) will reveal more information.

If you click on the headings the links work on the home page. Make sure that you look at Towing Law to ensure that your towing vehicle can tow a caravan safely and legally and to check the driving licence requirements.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Good luck

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I forgot to add that there is a Used Caravan Price Guide which also contains a caravan buying guide with a lot of detailed useful information which will help show you what to llok out for when buying a used tourer.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to add that there is a Used Caravan Price Guide which also contains a caravan buying guide with a lot of detailed useful information which will help show you what to llok out for when buying a used tourer.
Hi thanks so much for your help the caravan buyers guide website is great! could i just trouble you with one more question, have seen a 1996 caravan advertised it says it is a sprite sterling but i can't find any with this name anywhere only the make sprite then seperate make sterling? not sure if this van details correct? have you heard of one called this?

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just rang owner and he said its says on back of van sprite then under window sterling in small letters then he is sure its a elite 390/2 but i still can't find a model like this? any suggestions as to what it might be????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts