Hi - Lots of advice needed please (copied from new members fo...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Claire posted this in the New Members - Say Hello section and I copied / pasted it to here to get more replies (Parksy)

My 23 year old daughter is halfway through chemo for a brain tumour and once her treatment is finished I want to give her as much fun and adventure as possible this summer. Travel insurance prohibits going abroad I have hit on the idea of travelling around the UK. Most of the time there would just be the two of us (plus her little Westie) but my husband would come when work allows.

We have a Grand Vitara 5 door 2.0 litre TD auto and have printed off the list of 2 berth vans that are compatible on the uktow.com website.

As Becky can't stand my snoring we think probably a two berth with full size awning and seperate annex would be best! Would like to keep the size down as much as poss to make easy to tow etc but Becky has right sided weakness and unsteady balance so would like something with plenty of room in toilet and shower.

Would be grateful if anyone could recommend a two berth van with roomy washroom which is compatable with our car. I have found an Avondale golden Avocet L which looks from the floorplan there is plenty of room in shower but it is not listed on uktow.com to go with our Vitara! Our budget is around £5-7k.

Also welcome suggestions of any special campsites we could visit.

Many thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Claire,

My in-laws had a Lunar Delta 520/2 around 2001-ish, this was very roomy, large dresser unit with offside kitchen and end washroom. We were over at Catterick Caravans a couple of weekends ago and think they had one that was in your price range - might be worth a call?

Good luck with your trip, whatever you do it in.

Neal

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Claire,

Others on this forum will be more experienced than me with regard to 2 berth caravans.

Once you have decided on your caravan you are going to need a step, as you daughter has a weakness down 1 side it could be worth looking at a step which also has a handrail at the side. If memory serves me right I think Towsure do such a step, the issue of a step with handrail has come up on this forum in the past.

Caravan sites - we're members of the Caravan club and always stop on club sites with toilet blocks. The sites we have stopped on have electric hook up and toilet and shower facilities for people with disabilities, the toilets had drop down arm supports, you can request a disabled pitch at time of booking, these tend to be flat but do check this and close to the toilet block. The Caravan club can also provide information with regard to access issues. Our youngest has Autistic Spectrum Disorder which we mention to wardens on arrival. To date the wardens have been very helpful, on our first trip out they showed us how to connect to the electric hook up. The caravan club also has a leaflet about hooking up to the electric. You will need a RADAR key for access to the disabled toilet, worth having for use anyway, available from tourist information centres.

Sites to consider -

Longleat caravan club site- lots written on this forum about the site. Longleat house and gardens has some good access information, including a map, the boats which go on the lake are wheelchair accessible, entry is level with the waiting area.The web site is good, do check out about concessions for carers of people with special needs/ disability, staff were also helpful when we have spoken to them. Longleat house and gardens is minutes walk away from the entry to the site. A visit around the safari park is good fun.

Hillhead Caravan club site has a programme of events.

If you mention your interests I'm sure others will be able to suggest other sites etc. There are a number of us who contribute to this forum who caravan with family members with additional needs/ disability.

Local tourist information centre should be able to provide information on facilities and access etc for people with disabilities, including walks, beeches etc.

Hope this helps as a start. Good luck

Annette

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Claire

You'll find that sites in the popular areas are already getting full at weekends, so book yourselves in as soon as you reasonably can. Unfortunately travelling on spec and making last-minute decisions about where & when to go is getting more awkward now that more people are staying in Britain this summer.

If a Caravan Club site appears full from the CC web pages, it might be worth trying to book by phone directly with the site as they should have more accurate information.

All the CC sites we've stayed at have been excellent, by the way.

Best Wishes

Bry

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Claire try the Ace Brightstar we had one for upto last year, you could get 2002 to 2003 between 6k to 7k, they have rear end bathroom with wardrobe seperate shower their also lounge is of a good size.

l have seen them advertised at discover leisure at around the price you are looking at but most of the vans at 2 berth from that year on are end batherooms.

Hope you find a nice one.

NGH

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Claire,

It may be worth considering a larger 4-berth caravan.

Whatever size they sre, they're all awkward lumps to tow and, after a few miles, you really won't notice a few more feet.

What you will notice, though - every single time - is the pain and hassle of putting up an awning!

Awnings are extremely useful but you'll soon get fed up with HAVING to put one up! Especially for just a night or two (a full awning with annexe is a good couple of hours work).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts