Hi newbie here

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
Hi

We're dipping our toes into the caravan world, we've bought an old (1996) Elddis Tynedale 1000. I'm gathering everything we need, just need gas and a number plate and we'll be ready for our first trip over the bank holiday weekend.

The only other thing we're missing is the owners manual for the caravan, does anyone know where I can get one? I've looked on the Elddis site but they don't have the anything older than 2000.

Any important tips for a newbie would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jand C welcome to the forum. Can't help you with the manual, but I am sure someone will. Good newbie tip is to take your time. Hitching up, un-hitching and setting up is not an Olympic sport.
Also if you bought the van via a private sale and it hasn't had the gas and electric systems checked over by a suitably qualified person, get them checked.
Have fun
Mel

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome JandC :)

After fitting hitch to towball, raise the caravan using the jockey wheel to see if the car lifts up, that way you are sure the hitch has connected securely to the towball.

EDIT: google Caravan Check List, lots available, worth printing one off for reference.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi J and C, welcome to the forum and to caravan ownership.
Sorry that I can't help with the owners manual, perhaps the Elddis Owners Club can help?
My top tip before you go away on your first trip would be to check the age of the caravan tyres.
If the tyres are over seven years old, even though there may be very little tread wear the rubber deteriorates with UV light. To check the age of the tyres look on the sidewalls. The date your tyres were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually preceded by the letters DOT. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010
Correct loading and tyre pressures are of paramount importance.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello JandC ,
Welcome to the wonderful world of caravan . It is the best thing we have ever done . We were like you a few years ago starting off but now have a lot more knowledge thanks to this forum. hope you enjoy what you get and the trips that follow . Have a look at a recent topic .
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/50851-a-beginners-guide-to-caravanning

Craig .

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
If the Elddis owners club can't help with a handbook, most of the important stuff is fairly generic between all makes and models so if for example you want instructions for the fridge try the individual manufacturer. Failing that there's usually someone on the forum who will be able to help out with any specific issues you have with things individually. Good luck with your first trip. It's all a learning curve but just ask away and we're all here to help out.

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I bought the caravan from a small company that services and refurbishes them so he has checked the wiring and gas. He has also replaced the tyres but I will check the age of the tyres he's fitted.
Having a tow bar fitted tomorrow so planning a practice hitch up and drive round the storage yard tomorrow evening.
Roll on the summer :)

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. If you need help there is usually someone here who can help so just ask.
You should be able to get a brochure from this site https://www.nationwidecaravanninguk.com/brochure-archive?
The makers issue one brochure for all models in most cases and you will find yours is a dealer special based on a standard model but made to order for the dealer who originally sold it but with special extras but you should be able to spot the model it was based on. If you can get a manual you will find this is a general one for all models as well.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
JandC said:
Good point Craig. If I wait for nice weather I'll be going nowhere :cheer:

Welcome folks, as Craig states Just get away whenever you can, their is often too many things attempting to stop you getting out, have a safe learning curve though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts