Hi! Probably a silly question...

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
We are soon to buy our first caravan and all the stuff that goes with it.

There are 5 of us and we will have alot of stuff to take with us. We will have to use our awning to store stuff, but I am concerned about leaving stuff in there when we are out for the

day.

So my question is, what if anything do you leave in your awning, and are there any security measures that we should take?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nicci

We leave everything in our awning, however if there is something of value ie/ mobile phone t.v etc we tend to put them inside the van. All of our chairs, bikes etc stay in the awning - touch wood we have never had any problems.

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nicci,

We're with Gill and i'm ashamed to say leave pretty much everything in the awning - thats to say kids bikes, recliner chairs, shoes and general junk. Thats pretty much all of what we stash in there. You can buy small padlocks specially for awning zips - see towsure catologue but we've never done as we like the thought of being able to vacate the awning / caravan quickly in case of emergency. We tend not to leave any small valuables in the awning at all and I suppose you could always use a couple of bike type locks for recliner chairs and push bikes for piece of mind and close curtains at night.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nicci

I agree with what the others above say. Don't leave any smaller items of value (cameras, mobiles, sat nav etc) in the awning.

If we take our bikes, we don't put those in the awning, we chain them to the A frame.

You do hear of some campsites with a reputation for theft happening but thankfully, I haven't heard of anyone I know having something stolen from the awning.

Regards.

Lisa

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
I think others have all there is to say about awnings, but commensense has to be applied to the caravan as well, regarding security. I don't think it is sufficient simply to ensure that smaller valuables are in the van as these get burgled too.

When you get to know your new van you will discover that voids in the construction of the furniture do exist, that are not at all obvious if you have no familiarity with the van. These can be exploited as better places to hide things than the usual shelf over the door or wardrobe etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts