Hi Vis vests in France

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can any one clarify the new law regarding Hi-Vis vests? Some advise 1 vest for each occupant of the car but others say 1 vest for the driver. I have not been able to find a definate answer can anyone help.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's one for each occupant of the car. If the car has broken down or crashed (god forbid), it's highly likely everyone will get out of the car and stand onto the motorway verge.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
No contest. I have carried a hi vis vest for each passenger for years, in the UK as well as abroad. For such a small outlay why compromise on the safety of your loved ones?

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Its one for each occupant of the vehicle and they have to be reachable from inside the car, so dont keep them in the boot. Many of the French drivers/passengers have them over the back of the seat.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One view is that there should be one hi-viz jacket per seat, not per occupant, so most vehicles would need 5 not 4. The logic is that having 5 seats with seat belts implies that 5 occupants could be carried.

The cost is so minimal that it's really not worth arguing about.

Old "spanish" hands usually carry the jackets rolled and attached to the head rests so they can be seen from outside the vehicle - this may avoid spot checks.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Many French drivers are actually putting the vests on the back of their front seats for the same reason Ray S mentions - ie they hope the gendarmes see the vest and pick on someone else for their spot check. The problem with this is that the vests could interfere with the deployment of lateral airbags which are often fitted into the seat. Taking things to ridiculous lengths it could be argued a caravanner needs 4 warning triangles. 2 for the caravan (one in front and one behind) if it has to be left at the side of the road (not to be recommended of course) then 2 for the car if it subsequently also breaks down. The vests and triangles must also comply with the usual array of CE, EN and RS codes.

Peter

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I wish I had taken a Patent out on..... 'The Yellow Vest'

You now have to wear a supplied 'yellow vest' in my local Car scrap yard...... sorry!

Light road vehicle environmental dismantalers and recyclers

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Want a laugh?

Men painting TV masts 800-1000ft up have to wear hi-vis vests!

Must be to make it easier for the RAF to shoot 'em.

TRENDING THREADS