Hi we are new

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

We have just found this site and after thinking about buying a carvan and pickup for a while have decided to take the plunge.I put a question on the tow car section about pickups and hope someone will be able to help us. We have no idea what make to buy, all the brochures look great but it is difficult as there is such a lot to choose from. A four birth minimum will be needed as we are going to use it for the first time for travelling in Scandanavia for four months. Having recently retired, for the first time in our lives ,we have the time and resources to do it.I would be very grateful for any advice from the people on this Forum. We hope to be able to negotiate a discount when we buy, and would really welcome some pointers on this. I have read as much as I can, but would be very appreciative of any advice from the Forum as so many of you have a vast amount of experience. We are a couple aged 60 years (but still feel 20 inside).

Kind Regards

Rosie and Mike

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rosie, welcome.

Buying your first caravan can be a nightmare, if you make the wrong decision! So my advise would be to take your time to weigh up all the options.

If you are looking for a discount you may be able to pick up a new 2007 model which by now will have a good price reduction on offer. Remember the UK caravan industry in the main run their model years between September and August so already the 2008 vans are in the showrooms. Also, if possible buy from a dealer close to home then if problems occur you won't have to trek half way across the UK to get issues sorted.

Also look at how you are going to use it. If you are going away for long periods and there is only the two of you think about a fixed bed caravan because usually the beds are as comfortable as those at home and you are not having to make the bed up every night.

Also, remember to ensure the caravan you buy is compatible with your car and ideally the caravan should not be more than 85% of the weight of the car. (particularly as you are new to caravanning) This is a complex subject but can be straight forward if you take time to read up on towing weights, nose weights, MTLPM and other essential info. Practical caravan mag is a good source of knowledge if you read through their buyers guide.

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Beemermal,

Thanks for your advice. We live overseas so am about to search the internet for dealers.

I have tried searching on the forum for information on caravans and it comes up with "Your Search Returned Results", but there are no results to see. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Many Thanks

Rosie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts