Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Hoping you can help.
We are in the process of buying a Buccaneer Cruiser 8ft wide 50th anniversary edition. Anyone else have this size van? Any tips/problems. We are wondering if most sites have space for this?
Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hoping you can help.
We are in the process of buying a Buccaneer Cruiser 8ft wide 50th anniversary edition. Anyone else have this size van? Any tips/problems. We are wondering if most sites have space for this?
Thanks
We have a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser and have never heard of a 50th anniversary edition? I think Buccaneer have been around for a lot longer than 50 years? What year is the caravan? We have never had an issue with any site here in the UK or on the continent.
I would strongly suggest having an AWD motor mover fitted rather than the single axle mover. We use a Magnum porch awning. Hopefully your tow car has a kerbweight exceeding 2200kg and a gross train weight capable of handling such a big beast. Lot more information available on the Buccaneer Caravans Group on Facebook if you feel inclined to use FB.
It is a great caravan although there are generally always some issues which the dealer should be able to resolve quickly.

Reactions: Kerry&Michael
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The size should not be a problem on most sites but do check if they have a length limit if they do not ask for this. The length they will need is the overall one including the drawbar.
On some sites you might have to book a longer pitch so they reserve it for you.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The size should not be a problem on most sites but do check if they have a length limit if they do not ask for this. The length they will need is the overall one including the drawbar.
On some sites you might have to book a longer pitch so they reserve it for you.
The Buccaneer is just over 8m by 16cm longer however we always state that it is 8m long as many sites think you are saying the caravan is 8.6m in length. Had this on 2 CMC sites.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Uk trailer regulations for a Cat B vehicle as stated by
are :-

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres. The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.

If the Buccaneer Cruiser 8ft wide 50th anniversary edition exceeds this size the caravan must be pulled by Cat C1 vehicle that has a MAM that exceeds 3500kg.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Uk trailer regulations for a Cat B vehicle as stated by
are :-

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres. The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.

If the Buccaneer Cruiser 8ft wide 50th anniversary edition exceeds this size the caravan must be pulled by Cat C1 vehicle that has a MAM that exceeds 3500kg.
Why you think it exceeds 2.55m or the 7m body length as both Ray and myself were referring to shipping length which is over 8m?

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
We have a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser and have never heard of a 50th anniversary edition? I think Buccaneer have been around for a lot longer than 50 years? What year is the caravan? We have never had an issue with any site here in the UK or on the continent.
I would strongly suggest having an AWD motor mover fitted rather than the single axle mover. We use a Magnum porch awning. Hopefully your tow car has a kerbweight exceeding 2200kg and a gross train weight capable of handling such a big beast. Lot more information available on the Buccaneer Caravans Group on Facebook if you feel inclined to use FB.
It is a great caravan although there are generally always some issues which the dealer should be able to resolve quickly.
Thanks for taking time to comment.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why you think it exceeds 2.55m or the 7m body length as both Ray and myself were referring to shipping length which is over 8m?
Because
1. you stated that you did not know the model as it was an anniversary model, and without having the makes specifications neither you nor I could know its actual body length.

2. I added the regulation detail in case it was over 7M body length and the OP may not have realised it needed a a larger tow vehicle.

At least the OP now has that information.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I’m not aware that any caravan produced by U.K. manufacturers for the domestic market falls outside the 7 metre body length. Stand to be corrected though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’m not aware that any caravan produced by U.K. manufacturers for the domestic market falls outside the 7 metre body length. Stand to be corrected though.
You are perfectly correct and even the dealer specials are within spec so not sure why any one would think that a UK built caravan would have a body length longer than 7m? A 50th anniversary Buccaneer would be a 2018 Buccaneer as Buccaneer was founded in the late sixties, but again never heard of that 50th anniversary model and we have a 2018 Buccaneer? It may be a dealer special but as the Buccaneer has everything what else could they have added? Perhaps Kerry & Michael can confirm the year?
As a matter of interest the Buccaneer Owners Club was founded in 1970 and it celebrates its 50th anniversary this year. The club was founded after the sale of the Buccaneer caravans in the late sixties.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s a 50 th Anniversary Edition 2019 advertised one Yorkshire at £27k. Also a 40th Anniversary edition Schooner 2010 sold on EBay. Roll on 2029/30 depending on the calendar eh? 🤭

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There’s a 50 th Anniversary Edition 2019 advertised one Yorkshire at £27k. Also a 40th Anniversary edition Schooner 2010 sold on EBay. Roll on 2029/30 depending on the calendar eh? 🤭
I guess the anniversary year is made up as they go along. LOL! As said never hear of an anniversary model and it certainly was never mentioned on the Elddis website. Must be a dealer special, but then I wonder what they did to upgrade them?
If it is a 2019 hopefully it has a full service history and the remainder of the 6 year warranty can be transferred to the new owner? The only issue I see is if they are not able to use the original supplying dealer is getting a booking for any warranty work as many dealers will turn you away for warranty work if you did not buy from them.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would ask what the difference is with the Anniversary edition as there is not a lot left to add to the standard spec. If it costs more I would look at what extra you get, and ask is it worth it?

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nor do I, but who knows what a manufacturer might do. In practice some of this companies products are very popular with travelling shows who do have larger tow vehicles, and of course the travellers do often have some of these larger caravans.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Buccaneer Cruiser 50th anniversary edition is 2019.
Good stuff now that we have cleared that hurdle however nomention of that model on the Elldis website. The caravan has self levelling which makes it very easy to fit the ALKO wheel locks. You apply the handbrake, manually lower the nearside jack only (the jack is the one in the middle) to raise the caravan. Release the handbrake, rotate the wheel to line up the socket to fit the ALKO secure locks and then apply handbrake and lower the caravan. The caravan comes standard with two ALKO secure locks.
This link will take you to the pdf for 2019 Owners Handbook and this link to the 2019 Buccaneer brochure. Are you buying from an authorised Elddis dealer or are you buying privately. This is quite important if you want to transfer the warranty. Has the caravan had its first service within the first year which is very important to maintain the warranty? If not, I strongly recommend you walk away.

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Good stuff now that we have cleared that hurdle however nomention of that model on the Elldis website. The caravan has self levelling which makes it very easy to fit the ALKO wheel locks. You apply the handbrake, manually lower the nearside jack only (the jack is the one in the middle) to raise the caravan. Release the handbrake, rotate the wheel to line up the socket to fit the ALKO secure locks and then apply handbrake and lower the caravan. The caravan comes standard with two ALKO secure locks.
This link will take you to the pdf for 2019 Owners Handbook and this link to the 2019 Buccaneer brochure. Are you buying from an authorised Elddis dealer or are you buying privately. This is quite important if you want to transfer the warranty. Has the caravan had its first service within the first year which is very important to maintain the warranty? If not, I strongly recommend you walk away.
Hi
Thank you so much for your advice. We are buying from a private seller. CRiS check was clear. Enquired direct with Eldis regarding the warranty and seen original paperwork for 1st service which was done in March 2020.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi
Thank you so much for your advice. We are buying from a private seller. CRiS check was clear. Enquired direct with Eldis regarding the warranty and seen original paperwork for 1st service which was done in March 2020.
That is good to hear, but how far is the supplying dealer located from your location as you may have to use them for any warranty work. We have been towing the monster since 2016 and have not had any issues.
Although the shipping length is over 8m by 16cm we also state that the caravan is 8m in length and it saves a lot of hassle. We have been measure for the ferry and they found it acceptable. What are your concerns and I will try and I will try and give advice based on you first hand experience? If I do not know, I can find out as I belong to the Buccaneer group on Facebook. :D
Either way I am sure that you will enjoy your caravan.

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
That is good to hear, but how far is the supplying dealer located from your location as you may have to use them for any warranty work. We have been towing the monster since 2016 and have not had any issues.
Although the shipping length is over 8m by 16cm we also state that the caravan is 8m in length and it saves a lot of hassle. We have been measure for the ferry and they found it acceptable. What are your concerns and I will try and I will try and give advice based on you first hand experience? If I do not know, I can find out as I belong to the Buccaneer group on Facebook. :D
Either way I am sure that you will enjoy your caravan.
That's very good of you.
We live in the North East and we are buying from Ellsemere Port. The main Eldis factory where these are made is close to our home, plus other dealers that sell Eldis are within a short drive. I enquired with Eldis regarding the warranty and they said it could be transferred but did not mention I would have to use the original dealer? I'll check this out.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's very good of you.
We live in the North East and we are buying from Ellsemere Port. The main Eldis factory where these are made is close to our home, plus other dealers that sell Eldis are within a short drive. I enquired with Eldis regarding the warranty and they said it could be transferred but did not mention I would have to use the original dealer? I'll check this out.
There may be other dealers close to where you live, but inquire from them whether they would be prepared to take on any warranty work if required. Many will not do any warranty work i.e. damp, cracked skylights etc if you did not buy the caravan from them as they prioritise their customers. You do not have to use the supplying dealer, but the hassle is finding one close to you that will do servicing and warranty repairs.
We bought from a dealer 80 miles from our location and the dealer nearest to us will not undertake any warranty work. No issue with servicing as you are paying, but they still prioritise their customers first. Check with a delaer close to you whether they would be happy to service the caravan.
You may never have to have any warranty work done, but I feel that I need to warn you at this stage. Our 2016 Buccaneer was a disaster, but our 2018 Buccaneer has not required any major warranty work. All issues have been relatively minor with the exception of the cracked rear skylight so you need to check that plus go into the gas locker and check the corners on the nearside and offside. There is a metal strip and it should have all the rivets, not screws in place on both sides. See attached. Rear Heki skylight crack.jpgMissing rivets offiside front.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts