High Co2 cars being hit in the budget

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
According to weekend reports ,the Government are looking to add £2,000 to the list price of high emmission new cars in the budget and add 2p to a lt of fuel in April.

Where will this 2k go?Not on roads and transport schemes i bet?

When are they going to make lighter caravans starting to become a rich persons hobby.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Firstly, CO2 emissions are not necessarily directly proportional to car size. Car manufacturers are called upon to design cars with low CO2 emissions ratings irrespective of their size.

Secondly, caravan manufacturers should become more proactive in producing caravans that can be towed safely behind lighter cars. The technical know-how exists. It's just a matter of putting it into practice. Given the necessary provisions, there's no reason why weight ratios of 100% or more should not be safe to tow.

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Lutz, when you think about it, a tractor unit on an artic weighs about 7 tons, but the whole thing is up to 44 tons, thus the payload in the trailer is about 30, 4x the weight of the tractive unit.

I appreciate there are those on here will say - ah but, it is a fifth wheel and centred over the axle and independant brakes.

Also a an artic does about 8/9 miles per gallon, makes you realise how inefficient smaller engines are, when towing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Theway this taxation thing keeps increasing we'll be be back to tents and Reliant Robins.

If my 4x4 is more thirsty than a mini so what ? I pay for the fuel I use, most of it being Tax to the Treasury.Ok I may be a bigger polluter than a mini but over many years the differential is negligible compared to the artics , buses and coaches. I understand the "green" intention is well founded but the reality is they are Pi-sing in the wind.

I suppose if caravan manufacturers used more carbon fibre and lightweight composites we could to Conqueror sized caravans with a mini. But at what cost? carbon fibre etc is not cheap.

All plastic perhaps??

Cheers

Alan

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
The bottom line is that oil is running out and and there are no alternatives that can be produced in sufficient quantities, if the governments of this world move the tax burden from income to fuel and thirsty vehicles, pusuading the population to travel less and in more economical vehicles, then we may be able to enjoy our lifestyle a little longer, there is more to it than simply saying "It's my money and I'll spend it as I Like" (hopefully a viable alternative is developed), this obviously has a negative influence on those of us who go caravaning which involves more travelling by car than those who don't and even the most economical cars barely scrape more than 35mpg with a van on the back.

We specifically chose our caravan over others for it's low unladen weight such that we would have less of a problem with traction towing it with 2wd than averages over 40 mpg solo though it is still a 6 berth twin axle van

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Like fuel increases have really got anything to do with the ammount of oil available.

UK fuel increases are to pay for the mitakes the governement makes with the finances!

Get real, you are being screwed over! At the fuel pay desk you are paying for Iraq, Afghanistan, Imigration fiasco, Parliament buildings for a bunch of extra MP's and Labour Chronies,human rights, EU imposed costs, MP's expenses, Royal leaches, cover up and bad management in health and education.

Apart from a few others I may have missed you are also paying more for fuel beacause our fuel is traditinally so expensive.

Whilst road costs escalate in the UK and workers want more pay to cover costs, foreign nationals are producing goods produced by europeans who have lower fuel costs, and trucking europe using cheap fuel spewing more polution than we will ever save by less car use.

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
I think in reality, this has nothing to do with climate change and the oil running out but as others have said more to do with revenue.

If you look at HGV's and some buses, there is an additive called ADblue, look next to the diesel tank on hgv's. It is supposed to cut down harmful emissions. The trucks and buses still do the same miles to the gallon, some buses only do 7mpg, but this stuff costs about 50p litre as far as I can see (correct me if I am wrong).

We also pay no tax on aircraft fuel, yet the number of freight planes guzzling fuel every evening flying air freight around the world.

There are too many mixed messages and Gordon has no long term strategy for dealing with climate or taxation, in my opinion.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Tax and cars is not a fixed ammount, we pay a proportional ammount.

The higher the cost the more we pay already.

And the lower the mpg the more we pay!

And the government also gts a nice fat chunk of tax from the insurance and servicing costs we pay!

No penalty of course for those that do double or more mileage than I do, but I get the Gas Guzzler tag.

What utter rubbish!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Come on Mr Brown

Get rid of road fund tax and this extra charge,put a bit extra on fuel,the more you drive and pollute the more you pay.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Mikey, that's my cenaments too.

Those who wish to run a 4mpg gas guzzling Hummer should pay the 4mpg tax rate by virtue of their fuel used. Thus leaving those who do far less and drive a more modest car to pay the modest prices.

But of coarse we have to take a reality check as it's the top 5% of the uk who run the financial and political status of the country and because of their inflated, inflation proof incomes, can drive the fuel burners and not worry a jot.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
What rubbish Mickey and Steve.

Fuel tax is to much in the UK already and in case you have not worked it out, you already pay by the mile and by MPG your vehicle returns.

Its stupid comments like yours that let the Government walk all over us re vehicle use!

Food prices today are reported today to be at a record high!

All delivered by road! The more fuel goes up the poorer you two will get!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
jason posted!!!

"What rubbish Mickey and Steve.

Fuel tax is to much in the UK already and in case you have not worked it out, you already pay by the mile and by MPG your vehicle returns.

Its stupid comments like yours that let the Government walk all over us re vehicle use!

Food prices today are reported today to be at a record high!

All delivered by road! The more fuel goes up the poorer you two will get!"

Whats rubbish about the previous two statements?oh i see the unselfishness of the posts themselves.!

Yes we pay more fuel tax, but we pay lower income tax!.

I think you need to check who,s making the stupid comments,and who,s trying to be helpfull...

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
As usual more rubbish from Gio, UK well documented as one of the highest taxed countries and then Gio trots out the low income tax rubbish.

Get real we even pay top price for our cars and high tax's on purchase.

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
On the point of lower income tax, yes it goes down to 20% but that means you have to contribute more to your pension. For those of us on low incomes we lose the 10% band so we pay more. It is all politics. Those in higher brackets are not bothered by any of it least of all MP's, Gordon and his mates.

The effect on the above, will be felt by pensioners, the lower paid armed forces etc.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
"No penalty of course for those that do double or more mileage than I do, but I get the Gas Guzzler tag.

What utter rubbish!"

Actually, its you jason who are full of it, all you do is moan and blame anyone ,everything,! Just look at your statement above, more crap from you,as clearly you have a car that is a large co2 polluter? Thats you choice,what were you asleep when the government said over and over again what it was going to do?

Did you think it did not apply to you?

Stop bloody moaning and critising anyone or everyone.See your statement is all about you again! R di dumbs, you been hard done by again!!!!

As for your tax moan, We earn more too!!!Have more spare cash,so what are you moaning about?

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
You might earn more, but I live in the South West where salaries (if you want to call it that) are on average below the poverty level, and I earn below it. That is why very few people actually realise what is going on in the other blokes field; in this case the 10%tax bracket. If you read the editorial in Saturday's Telegraph it actually highlights this issue.

In reality (which Proust called the waste product of experience), if we all took more interest in the other blokes point of view, instead of bickering we would probably achieve more - look at the French.

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
You might earn more, but I live in the South West where salaries (if you want to call it that) are on average below the poverty level, and I earn below it. That is why very few people actually realise what is going on in the other blokes field; in this case the 10%tax bracket. If you read the editorial in Saturday's Telegraph it actually highlights this issue.

In reality (which Proust called the waste product of experience), if we all took more interest in the other blokes point of view, instead of bickering we would probably achieve more - look at the French.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
What it comes down to Gio is that we got of are back sides and went and brought our kids up running 3 and 4 jobs between us and took nothing in the way of benefits in all our working lives.

We made enough to retire when we wanted to.

We've paid and pay higher rates of taxes and pay higher council tax for no more service than a couple in a one bedroom flat, we have a reasonable disposable income due to our effort that we choose to buy a nice car with and run a nice caravan.

After all that tax already paid we pay even more choice on our vehicle purchase and more in t the states coffers from the running costs and many many more are in the same position.

Then Mikey, Steve and Gio and others want me and others to dip in and pay even more, it's always the same get someone else to pay and that's OK.

People on this and other forums moan about those that scrounge and are benefits but when it comes to paying tax get someone else to do it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts