High Floor Readingd

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
In April we had a service done which gave high floor readings from near the door down the centre of the van up to the sideboard. Bailey Unicorn Valencia 2015. The engineer came back this week with a different meter but still showing readings of 50+ in some parts low readings in washroom & bedroom no signs of damp on very edge throughout however 51 inches down middle of van from sink high readings but no signs of any leak thinks possibly from a spillage or old leak. Unsure what to do next we’re on a seasonal pitch until November will it likely dry out at all? Any advice appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How long have you had the caravan and what were previous readings if you have the paperwork. Surely you would have known if you had spilt anything or had previous leaks repaired. Any signs of leaks from internal pressure or drainage water pipework? Assuming no external or internal leaks it should start to dry out over summer, but 50% is an uncomfortably high level that will cause rotting, if it’s not started to reduce within a month with good ventilation it needs further investigation. But floors can be difficult to dry out given their materials. I used one of these to monitor damp. May not be exactly the same reading as the technician more expensive meter but it allows you to follow trends.

Reactions: Annie3
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
We’ve had it for 2 years with 12 months warranty. First service the mechanic found the roof strap over the bed leaking so it went back under warranty. The mobile mechanic that came said no obvious signs of damp on paperwork but he told us he could test the walls as plastic l did not realise he should of tested the floor so unsure if it was like that first year and we didn’t get any service documents when we bought it (in hindsight l should have asked for it just took their word all ok) we’ve not spilt anything or had any repairs. We will look at getting a meter then take it to a Bailey workshop at the end of the season

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Hi Annie I'm no expert but spent ages on my old 1993 caravan tracking leaks and used one of the meters mentioned above.

From what you described it sounds to me like the door seal is leaking slightly it only needs to be a slight drip every now and again for it to get lodged and become a problem. I would use one of the meters to see if the reading gets bigger or smaller the closer you get to the door, I was able to pin point more or less exactly where a bunch of leaks where coming in from windows, doors roof etc etc.

Good luck with it but I suspect given all this rain it will only get worse if it's not sorted soon, this weather I suspect is finding out a lot of leaks on caravans as they don't have time to dry up and simply get worse.

As I always say I'm no expert but have worked through a lot of leaks on our old van

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If your caravan has a combi boiler be sure to check the drain down relief valve has a length of plastic tubing running from it down through the floor. My 2019 Phoenix was missing it from the factory. Some while later (years) that little valve sprung a leak one night (grit under tge valve seat I think) and a lot of water leaked out into the caravan rather than exiting through the pipe and outside. We discovered it one morning because the carpets were soggy.

I had to take all of the vinyl flooring up as the water had got between it and the floor. All the vinyl under the seat, across the lounge, under the sink cupboards and halfway back down the caravan, nightmare!!
If that has happened to yours, and the flooring wasn't removed then the water has/had nowhere to escape.
Such a simple thing,but caused me a lot of work! Of course it was impossible to prove it hadn't been fitted at the factory, so no chance of a warranty claim :(

It's the clear tube coming out of the side of the white valve with the red pipe feeding into the bottom of it. The clear tube exits through the floor.

Just a thought, but worth checking.

1000001175.jpg

Attachments

• 1000001175.jpg
    1000001175.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Annie3
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
If your caravan has a combi boiler be sure to check the drain down relief valve has a length of plastic tubing running from it down through the floor. My 2019 Phoenix was missing it from the factory. Some while later (years) that little valve sprung a leak one night (grit under tge valve seat I think) and a lot of water leaked out into the caravan rather than exiting through the pipe and outside. We discovered it one morning because the carpets were soggy.

I had to take all of the vinyl flooring up as the water had got between it and the floor. All the vinyl under the seat, across the lounge, under the sink cupboards and halfway back down the caravan, nightmare!!
If that has happened to yours, and the flooring wasn't removed then the water has/had nowhere to escape.
Such a simple thing,but caused me a lot of work! Of course it was impossible to prove it hadn't been fitted at the factory, so no chance of a warranty claim :(

It's the clear tube coming out of the side of the white valve with the red pipe feeding into the bottom of it. The clear tube exits through the floor.

Just a thought, but worth checking.

View attachment 7138
That’s not the drain down valve per say, that lets air in while the drain down valve is open (normally (in caravans) a yellow lift up leaver (I know you know that Mr P)))

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
And if you read my post you will see the words "drain down relief valve"
The drain drain valve has a relief valve built in (pressure), the hot outlet you picture is to let air into the boiler to allow free flow when draining down, so possibly the terminology used that lead me to my post 🤔

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts