Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Us Sassenachs have long wanted to visit the Scottish Highlands but have always been put of by tales of midge nuisance.

Flying insects have always been partial to a bit of us two pensioners.

Can anyone suggest the most suitable time say between April and September when we might venture north of the border when this danger is at its minimum.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
May is the best time to avoid the midge in Scotland with a good chance of reasonable weather. We have taken a hillwalking holiday during the first week in May (sans caravan) for about 26 years and weather generally decent with NO midges.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We went to the Highlands in July this year. We were as far north as Ardmair (Ullapool) on the West side the Midges were very prolific ( I got bitten 200+ times) I still bear the scar's from some of them. The East side was almost midge free. We tried every pill, potion. lotion out and still the little b****ers had a three coarse meal. The locals use DEET which does help. We tried Avon skin so soft and that had some effect too. Infact we were told that at Fort William, the local council were trialing huge bug zappers and deterants which was why we saw what looked like green dustbins burried in front gardens of the houses. Anyway don't let me put you off, because Scotland is a wonderfull place and we still had one of our best holidays ever. There were four caravans in our group and we covered 1700 miles with plenty of smiles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there,We live in Scotland!The midge season is from the end of May to the end of August.If you go at the beginning of May or September,you should be ok.We always use Avon Skin so Soft Moisturing Dry Oil Body Spray ( Woodland Fresh ).It's a very girly smell,but it does work.We have also been told that if you take Vitamin B tablets the midges don't like the taste of your blood...but we have not tried that.Hope you have a good holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only go in April or early May. After that the midges will get you through to the end of Sept. The west is the worst. Incidentially you only get bitten by female midges (I think when they are pregnant.)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dont be put of by all this doom and gloom.We, go to scotland every year in may or september .We stay at cc club site North Ledaig near Oban .We have never been pestered by midges.We also stay at Dunetts bay near John O Groats .One thing we so is take a 13 amp plug with mosquito tablets which give of a vapour which kills of any mossies or midges in the van. So if you go in may or september you should be ok .The weather is usualy good or may be were are lucky ,in any case to look out of your front windows at north ledaig and see the light houses on Mull winking to the ones on Lismore is one you will never forget.The tour of Mull and Iona is also something special.Go for it and enjoy your self

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know some people have a bad reaction to midges and the like, but most are just annoyed by them.

We went to fort william end of july and although there were midges and we did get bit they werent that bad and we were dreading it before we went but all the reports we heard were very over exaggerated and I would not let it put me off again.

So just go for it and enjoy.

We also found they really only come out when there is no rain or sun as they dont like uv light and we never got them in the caravan, we used citronella candles no problem.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We must of been at Fort william at the same time as Terry. However I was one of the few who have an adverse reaction to the little buggers. I was bitten over 200 times and the lacal parmacist was concerned about me getting blood poisoning. I must admit it didn't put me off the holiday as Scotland is so beautifull. But I did have to stay in during the evening when they seemed to come out to play/feed. I still bear the scars from the worst bites. But don't let that put you off. Scotland is very worth seeing midges or no midges.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we stay in the SW of Scotland, fairly midge-free although they are moving south! We went to Loch Linnhe end of May last year and although it was a gorgeous site we vowed never again due to midges! We now stick to winter, the East Coast or the Lakes!

my advice is do not go.

if you must go to the east of scotland, just as lovely and some grest sites.

the midge it bits you heed.

the bee is good it gives you honey for your tea.

but the midge it bits your heed.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Generally the midges are worst in the evening. We live here and have found that if you burn a couple of mosquito coils in the awning that seems to work great. Light them around 4 - 5pm just before the midges come out. Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts