Hire Purchase - Can we apply before going to the dealer?

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
We have 4 kids and the thought of going to the dealer and having to deal with finance whilst they are there doesn't appeal. We've also had credit problems in the past (due to a kind ex boyfriend of mine) so we often find it difficult to get credit. Clearly I don't want to go to the dealers, get the kids hyped up about getting a caravan only to leave disapointed. We were looking at 5 berth caravans but have seen some 6 berths which would be much better for our needs and which would do us for the next 10 years but they are out of our price range unless we got finance.

We're desparate to get this sorted out. Our twin girls have multiple food allergies which mean we have to prepare food for them from scratch which you can't do in a hotel room even if we found one big enough. I also have ME and my husband doesn't drive so we've been unable to visit family in the south of the country for a long time.

I know black horse are the big guys and that they don't have an online application but are there any finance companies who do?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mrs P
There are online comparison websites which might give you some idea, the biggest drawback with them is that in return for supplying information about loan companies and their products you have to give them quite a lot of potentially sensitive information about yourself and you have very little control over who has access to it or how it is used.
At best you will be inundated with junk mail and internet spam ( unsolicited advertising) so use a disposable email account and not your main email address whatever you do.
Are there any dealers not too far from where you live who you could contact over the telephone? They may be able to assess your eligibilty for a hire purchase agreement or suggest other options which may be open to you.
Money Supermarket supply online details of personal loans available to people unfortunate enough to have had credit problems in the past but I don't know much about hire purchase companies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello MRSP,

I would have thought you might find it possible to go to the dealers without your children to sort out the finance, then when its in place take them along and they wont be dissapointed.

I totally agree with Parksy, trying to do it on line or by telephone,you have to give out so much personal information, adn what worse is you don't know who it is on the other end.

Ultimately where every you get finance from,you will have to surrender personal details ( its actually fraud to conceal any matter that might affect your eligability for financial products), but at least you shouldn't get inundated with emails or mailshots if you use your dealer.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Just having a ponder, I don't really understand finance as luckily have never needed it but I do wonder if in the current economic climate you may get a good deal on a personal loan from your bank??

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be careful of how many times you apply for credit over a short period of time, as that alone can affect your credit score?
smiley-undecided.gif

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Wendy-Norfolk said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be careful of how many times you apply for credit over a short period of time, as that alone can affect your credit score?
smiley-undecided.gif

Yes & No but have a read here about it........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts