Hitchdrive experience

May 23, 2005
Visit site
The Hitchdrive seemed a good compromise for shifting my caravan up a very modest tarmac slope of 3%. The reality was very different.

First problem was the collar to attach the wheel assembly would not screw on. Examination showed a damaged/faulty thread. Half an hour later after some delicate filing got the wheels attached.

I attached the Hitchdrive to the van and tried to move the van up the slope. No chance, the wheel simply would not grip.

So I fitted the foot attachment, stood on it for extra noseweight and tried again. The wheels now started to rotate within the tyre!!

Tyres over-inflated I try again. I managed with much effort to move the van a few inches but then I cannot rotate the arm a full circle because I am standing on the foot attachment and my body is in the way. So I step off to complete the rotation and the wheels promptly slide back down the 3% slope.

At this point I gave up and returned the Hitchdrive back to Towsure. I was told that they had numerous Hitchdrives returned with the same complaint that it would not move vans up the smallest slope. Yet the Hitchdrive website claims it will move a 1200 kg van up a 10% slope!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Keith,

I am not at all surprised by your experience. Sadly for you, you have very acurately describd the achlies heel of A frame mounted movers, i.e. lack of traction and worse, the uncontrolled skidding.

A frame mounted movers are fine on flat hard surfaces and for some people they are an excelent solution, but for real control over variable surfaces and inclines you have to look to the chasis mounted devices.

Glad you got your money back.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Glad you got your money back. I use a second hand motor mover big foot, to move our twin axle van and also my father in law's 17ft single axle van. The singlt has to be moved up a 1 in 6 slope to get it out of the garden and onto the drive. I do this by chocking the left wheel then power the mover to the left, chock the right wheel and power to the right. This walks the van up the steep slope all be it slowly.

The twin axle van is moved forwards up over the pavement (1 in 10) and parked front to the garage for security. making it more difficult for the thieves.

By using a draw bar mounted machine I can also use the mover on my goods trailer, thereby converting that into a huge wheel barrow.

If I went down the chassis mounted mover route, I'd have to buy at least two units at

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts