Hitching Alko AKS3004 to Freelander

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just bought a Freelander TD4, 2004 and I am about to have a tow bar fitted, to pull my Challenger 460.

I am concerned about the AKS handle hitting the spare wheel and therefore not opening properly. I have had various comments from the towbar fitters, most seem to say that they have fitted lots in the past and no-one has ever reported a problem! One suggested that the ALKO towball brought it out far enough and I would not require a spacer.

Can anyone help please? Is there a problem that needs solving and if so, what have you done about it, or do the standard bars, ie Witter, work without any modifications?

I have looked at the ALKO replacement detachable handle but not sure at the moment whether I actually need one. It also seems odd that this 'modification' has to be removed when travelling. Why couldn't they make it as a permanent replacement?

Many thanks

John W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With my Daihatsu 4x4 I reverse to the van at a slight angle and there is then no problem of the spare wheel fouling the towing bracket - straight on there is however, even with a longer Alko tow ball fitted.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
We have the Freelander TD4 2003 and a Bailey Paegent Series 6 Burgundy, and you cannot hook up with the alko plastic handle on.

We take the plastic handle off to push the van forward and then we push the metal arms down then slip the alko plastic handle back on without the pin in it and push the handles down to its correct position.

To remove the hitch we put the plastic handles back on,lift the metal two pieces up slightly,take of the plastic handle off and then pick the metal bars up by hand.

The reason for this is the spare tyre, and you cannot open the door and hitch up.

We have had the plate fitted for protection, against the bumper.

Hope this helps

Allyson

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
You can hitch up the van if you reverse at an angle, ok if you've got a motor mover other wise a pain in the butt. We've got the removable handle which makes it a lot easier.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I also run a TD4 and basically do the same as Allyson. I just don't see the point of the Alko replacement handle so just take the plastic one on and off as required; it really isn't that much of a problem. As I understand it the Winterhoff stabiliser has enough clearance and hence solve the problem once and for all, but it will cost a couple of hundred pounds to replace your Alko. I personally wouldn't bother unless I needed to spec out a stabiliser for a van that didn't have one.

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I drive a 2006 Honda CRV with the spare wheel on the back we also found problems with the hitching up with our Alko handle - we tried the 4x4 handle and found this more of a problem - so a trip to our local tow bar company who checked out the tow bar & car spec's and suggested a 25mm spacer fitted to the fixed tow bar - Problem solved.

Now we can hitch up straight on with out removing the handle or having the door open (which is not advisable)

Hope it helps

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I drive a 2006 Honda CRV with the spare wheel on the back we also found problems with the hitching up with our Alko handle - we tried the 4x4 handle and found this more of a problem - so a trip to our local tow bar company who checked out the tow bar & car spec's and suggested a 25mm spacer fitted to the fixed tow bar - Problem solved.

Now we can hitch up straight on with out removing the handle or having the door open (which is not advisable)

Hope it helps
Forgot to say that this option costs us

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
For me this wasn't an option as I have a swan neck towbar. Also I'm not sure, but I seem to re-call from somewhere that as the Alko bolt-on towball already has an extension your are not advised to extend it too much further. Actually I think it was some friends of ours who wanted to put a hitch mounted bike carrier and a plate to protect the bumper; the towbar company wouldn't fit it.

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Did check the Alko extended neck towball fitting instructions - just says that it has to be fitting in line with manufactures spec's and meet a European Directive.

In our case the manufacturer stated that the towball could sit upto a max 44 inches from the centre of the rear wheel - the fixed tow bar fitted by the lease company only came out 38.5 inches, and the tow bar was designed to take upto a max 25mm spacer. Since this was well within the specs and directive so the spacer was fitted. (As a side note: the manufacture detachable towbar sat at the 44 inch limit - but it would cost

Mar 18, 2006
Visit site
hi..

we have a freelander and can hitch up our aks3004 no problem, without having to remove part of the handle or reversing at an angle..the handle will tilt sideways enough to clear the spare wheel as the jockey wheel is being wound up, i do all the hitching alone and have never had a problem yet.. we live ona slight hill so the van is easy to hitch as i just release the handbrake enough to slowly creep to the towball then lower it into place.. i tried all the other ways before realising i was wasting my time..i had the car at all odd angles but had more trouble.. just hitch up in a straight line and tilt the handle away..

hope this helps

daz

Mar 18, 2006
Visit site
hi allyson..

if its the handle of the hitch you are talking about, it doesnt have to fully turn. it just moves enough to be able to lower the hitch down, it still rubs along the spare wheel but as you lower it down it stops touching.. you dont even have to have the hitch handle fully up either.. when it is down enough the handle will lift and lock into place freely.. sorry if this doenst make any sense, but believe me.. it does move sideways enough to be able to hitch without the palaver of hitching on a angle or removing the handle all together..

daz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts