Hitching Up - You Know It Makes Sense!

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Another example of why you should do 'the lift test' using the jockey wheel.
It formed part of the B+E test and if it wasn't done it meant a failed test.
Ah, but now the B+E test has been scrapped and therefore the best practice training that went before it isn't being delivered.
So, we should expect a lot more detachments in future.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had issues with aligning our connector until I had it replaced with one from Germany instead of the cheap version from the east. No more issues! :D

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The slack friction handle should have made him really check the hook up.
The only time I had a caravan unhitch, was the same as that chap. Some one else had hooked up for me, thankfully their caravan, and no damage done. I always carry a spare breakaway cable in the car,

May 11, 2021
Visit site
It goes to show that even experienced towers can make mistakes. The only mistake I have so far made with hitching was actually on unhitching - forgot to remove the breakaway cable and drove away from the van. No harm done (I was at home) and a new cable has been installed (plus a spare now carried).

I always do the jockey wheel lift - it was shown to me by the place I bought the van from and is a routine part of hitching up. Another tip I learned - do not multi-task when hitching up; it's too easy to get distracted by something else and then miss a step in the hitch process. Rather like an aircraft cockpit you need a sterile environment during critical times - if the checklist gets interrupted, start from the beginning.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It goes to show that even experienced towers can make mistakes. The only mistake I have so far made with hitching was actually on unhitching - forgot to remove the breakaway cable and drove away from the van. No harm done (I was at home) and a new cable has been installed (plus a spare now carried).

I always do the jockey wheel lift - it was shown to me by the place I bought the van from and is a routine part of hitching up. Another tip I learned - do not multi-task when hitching up; it's too easy to get distracted by something else and then miss a step in the hitch process. Rather like an aircraft cockpit you need a sterile environment during critical times - if the checklist gets interrupted, start from the beginning.

It can be annoying when as you are busy hitching up the neighbour who has not spoken to you all week comes across and asks if you are leaving and then engages in mundane conversation distracting you from the job at hand! :confused_old:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do the check with the jockey wheel now having made a similar mistake many years ago and before the ALKO 3004 and the 13 pin plug. Luckily the caravan never got out of the road in front of the house, the old plugs just pulled out without doing any damage and the brakes held and the caravan did not hit anything. so no great loss and only cost a new cable. Not one I want to repeat though.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts