Hmmmmmm

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Darce wrote :

"And whilst I appreciate that not all children are badly behaved - I really do think that anyone with an "adult" mentality would realise that not everyone chooses to holiday at, say, Butlins just because it caters for children. Likewise we tried an Adult only site and far from being boring, it was filled with stimulating mature conversation and a fare bit of wonderful peace and quiet."

That is true but at 31 & 27 years "old" we went to a tent and caravan site and it was the parents that were playing football near our 'van, not thier kids, and their conversation wasn't exactly stimulating, and they were by no means peaceful and quiet either, which we didn't appreciate when we were trying to get our 15 month old to sleep.

So, we are all different, adults, parents and kids !!

Each to their own eh :)

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Gill wrote..

They could let the boys go off on their bikes to play with the other children at nine o clock and not see them again until meal times.

Isn't it nice that someone who hated caravans inherited one, tried it, loved it, and at the same time found they could let their boys be boys and have a good time.

Hopefully those children will grow up and become vanners knowing how much fun they had when they were young.

Family sites will always have children, you know that when you go to them, the choice is yours, nothing worse than going away and spending your time keeping an eye on other peoples children. Families go to family sites so their children can play with others, sounds a good holiday.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Wholeheartedly agree with you Martin - we enjoyed camping in the UK as well as the "Eurocamp" style holidays with the kids - Absolutely superb holidays for families.

So why when those of us who are "empty nester's" state that Adult only sites are best for us know do those who have children accuse us of being "child haters" and our views dismissed as being "an age thing".

We too have been on holiday with very young children trying the get them off to sleep with early teens roaring about - then we put up with it because we knew that in years to come our kids would be doing the same.

Now I do not have to put up with such - and frankly why should I? - I will leave that to those who have yet to experience all the joys of parenthood that I have.

Suffice it to say that having done my bit, I think you can have too much of a good thing!

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Over here, weekends away, CL sites with fishing, our kids love fishing, they're good quiet kids aswell.

France for main holiday, big site with plenty for them to do(which we join in with), and fishing, evenings times we stay in the van and play games and talk, shut the curtains and spend quality time as a family.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Diane

It really makes me mad whenever those of us who use Adult only sites (as well as family sites) are called old or child-haters.

We are neither old in years nor attitude nor child-haters. BUT we have reached the stage of life, when having reared our own children and had many happy times on family sites, we now prefer to have the choice to sit and read quietly, relax and enjoy the peace and quiet for that in itself.

Perhaps one day, you might feel the same, but would not consider yourself to be either old nor a child-hater.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I meant to add that this topic has also been done to death and that people will never agree. Can't we all just be glad that all types of sites exist so enabling us to chose one that will suit our individual requirements, and without necessarily only thinking the worst of our fellow caravanners. Life and families have different stages, nothing more than that.

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
Here we go again with the name calling. Why can,t those who want to go to an adult only site just go and those who prefer to go to an adult site just go. I thought caravanning was a friendly hobby seems i was wrong

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
I have considered the merits and relevance of what follows and decided to publish my account of the events that unfolded on the Northbrook Caravan Club Site, Worthing this past weekend - and be dammed!

Having pitched my aged bones and van (actually the van is not that old in comparison) on this lovely site, as far away from the child's play area as possible, we struck up the normal conversation with our new neighbours. Having discovered from whence we hailed they told us of the beautifully peaceful weekend they had enjoyed at an' Adult Only Site' near to our home and how much they enjoyed not having activity associated with child friendly sites.

However, as their daughter and grandchildren would be visiting them this time they had come to a site that did accept children - and parked as far away from the play area as possible?

The day of the visit dawned, and on our return to site that afternoon the daughter and anything between 4-6 children (I never did work out exactly how many, they moved to quick) were firmly ensconced and omitting the screeching sound that only people who have never owned children find impossible to ignore.

We sat outside reading our magazines, drinking tea and wincing occasionally, ignored the occasional fly past - and even the visit to our pitch of the two(ish) year old, who after all was collected by a sibling almost twice his age quite swiftly. After an hour or so we retired to the interior of our van, not because of the noise but to see the F1 quallies, sad old gits I know but!

Half an hour later the entertainment started as a gruff gentleman approached the adults of the party to inform them that his offspring had been injured and demanded to know which of the devils they had spawned were responsible. Voices were raised and the opposing Mother and Father endeavoured to demonstrate to their children how to win an argument based purely on volume.

Not to be outdone, and I'm sure to demonstrate to their beloved G/children that they still possessed all of the parenting skills they had honed whilst bringing up their children, first the Grandfather then Grandmother entered the fray.

Happily, despite the veiled threats that would have left one or other of the parties forever excommunicated from the Caravan Club if not the entire caravanning community, peace was reinstated and loud mumblings were soon once again replaced by the non-pc (non parentally controlled) sounds of children happily going about their business of demonstrating just how fast and loud you could run around the campsite if you wished.

Moral of the story - well there's not one really, but I've got this off my chest and if it means that just one person visiting a campsite may exercise a little more control over their child, dog, husband (according to Mrs Barking some of my 'overloud' comments may not have helped the situation) or radio in order to preserve the peace of others residing near by it will have served its purpose.

To those that have pointed out that we were no different as youngster, I guess they are right - despite the fact that my parents often thought they knew were I was and what I was doing - they often did not. However times were different, we were always careful of what we said with earshot of Adults, more so within arms length, and we had a respectful fear of anyone in authority i.e.: police and park (campsite) wardens. Neither were our parents intent on either suing or dismembering anyone else they thought they could hold responsible for any damage we did to ourselves or anything else.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I am very supprised by some of the posts in this thread. Its as simple as this.

Children are individuals. Some are good, some are not so good. A lot of how a child acts around others is to do with either the attitude of their parents or the pressure from their peers.

A group of people from this site go out once a year (twice this year) to a site together. Many of us just meet up for the rally and bring our kids. I think there was 9 kids last time and not once did we have any problems of any kind. In fact, for me, the kids make caravanning worth while.

Its a simple choice people. If kids playing near you gives you a problem, either ask them politly to move or go where they cannot and be happy with that.

To me, a caravan site is an empty and boring place without children. I may not feel the same when mine are grown up but at the moment I will put up with the one in a thousand bad one just so I see the other 999 making life fun.

So, next time a child winds you up on site. Speak to them, they may not even know you are upset. Don't get mad or have a temper, ask them to stop or offer them an alternative. Experience shows me that this gets results 99% of the time. The other 1% the site manager will deal with!

If all else fails, speak to their parents. You are on holiday, make it nice for others as well as yourself

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Well said steve !

I suppose what you are saying is children have to learn, they afterall minors, and have to learn what is bad or good, and unless people tell them what they are doing is unaceptable how will they know.

I have come across kids that are far better people than their parents, and as their parents haven't told them what they shouldn't do, if someone else does they are trully sorry and as steve said they may suprise you and try to make-a-mends

And as for the 1% that don't behave (parents that is) you just get out your shotgun and shoot them, carefull of the caravan though !! Sorry I was being seroius, but couldn't help putting that last bit in.

This thread has become far to serious. Anyone know any good jokes ?

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
I recommend a good dose of Just William to remind you what kids are and always have been like - very funny I defy anyone to read one of those books without having a good old giggle.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
What Steve describes above is us for 18 years or so taking our kids on holiday and overall loving every min of it.

But you are not telling me that any parent can say that they enjoy their kids so much that need them 100% of the time! I am sure that all parents also enjoy that "quite time" when (the kids are young) and they are in bed.

Or later when they are at Scouts Guides whatever for an evening and you have a nice evening to yourselves.

My problem based on my own experience is that some parents (NOT ALL) gain a bit of quiet time by sending their children of to do what they want.

And then just when you think you can have a mature holiday without other peoples children and you enjoy it so much that you take the trouble to tell others about it on a "friendly" caravan forum you get labelled as having an "Age thing" and a "child hater".

We don't.

It is just that we have been there

Worn the T-shirt

But found that now it does not fit us anymore.

And so what?

Why is anyone else bothered what I do for a holiday?

If you have children you cannot pitch where we now prefer to.

So what on earth is the problem with anyone advocating Adult only sites? Steve ably advocates what he wants from caravanning for his family and why he likes family friendly sites.

Why do some want other rules to apply to those who say "but I do not want to be on a site with your children - you weren't on a site with us 15 years ago when ours were ages 5 and 9 - so why should we not select to say thanks but no thanks to being with yours now?"

They don't allow kids on an 18 30 holiday either

You cannot join SAGA until you are over 50.

Life is like that - it goes in cycles - for those who do like the more mature "quiet" life - give it a try - I doubt that you will regret it.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
You speak for me exactly Darce.It is just the next stage of life without children when we can perhaps think of ourselves a bit more. Lets be thankful we have the choice of site and let's be honest, ALL children make noise, whether playing happily, or otherwise, so those who still have children can chose family sites, and those who don't can go elsewhere. What's so difficult about that.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
You speak for me exactly Darce.It is just the next stage of life without children when we can perhaps think of ourselves a bit more. Lets be thankful we have the choice of site and let's be honest, ALL children make noise, whether playing happily, or otherwise, so those who still have children can chose family sites, and those who don't can go elsewhere. What's so difficult about that.
Thank you ChrissyLizzie - I began to wonder if it was me!

No doubt we will enjoy having our grandchildren with us at some time in the future and then we will use family sites of course.

But right now "having seen the light" - I really hope that is some way away!

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
No, it's not just you Darce - well not in MY opinion! Yes, we have our first little grand-daughter now aged 14 months and we imagine that at some time in the future, she will come with us, when we will use family sites again. She is lovely, has added a new dimension to our lives, BUT we remember now why you have children when you are young, how tiring they are and why, when you were younger, you were often glad to get them to bed! It also reminds me why we now appreciate the quieter adult only sites and if that makes me a child-hater then so be it.

P.S. This child-hater saved a worm today who was in the middle of the footpath and who was going to get trodden on, so no, I do not hate children, nor do I hate anything else in life.

May 31, 2007
Visit site
Darce wrote:

'So what on earth is the problem with anyone advocating Adult only sites? '

Absolutely nothing, but that's not how these threads start, they start by someone complaining about children on a family site, how outraged they were because someone ran past there van, or shouted or acted like a child!!!, then they go on to say how parents nowadays don't control there children, wasn't like that when they were young, blah, blah, blah....

So if you want to go to a site with out children, go to one, but if you go to a family site and it's full of children, don't come here an complain about how awful it was.

At least you are welcome on a family site, strangely the converse is not true, no matter how well behaved, quiet and reclusive my children might be !!!!

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Chrissylizzie/Darce,

It seems my post has been removed although i have not been given a reason for it.

So to recap on my origianl post:-No offence meant to anyone, but we went to an adult only site in August and it was the most boring depressing place i have ever been. We took a pledge there and then never to go to an adult only site ever again. But at then end of the day each to his own.

Never thought i would say this but i have to agree with Katherine and Brian(StAlbans). It has got to be an age thing or a child hate thing with these adult only sites.

As you can plainly see this is not aimed or posted of any person, it of my own experience. I have not called you old or a child hater. It was an awful experience as you can see, we do not wish to repeat.

By the way my name is Diane not Dianne and also i really don't think i am ageist. If you wish to read into the post that i am calling you old or a child hater, then so be it, how your minds work is down to you and not me. I would just like to make it crystal clear that no time did refer to you by name.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Really?

19 Sep 2007 11:44 AM

Posted by Darce

We have just returned from week on an Adults only site and I have to say the whole week was an absolute delight.

No offence meant to anyone, but we went to an adult only site in August and it was the most boring depressing place i have ever been. We took a pledge there and then never to go to an adult only site ever again. But at then end of the day each to his own.

Never thought i would say this but i have to agree with Katherine and Brian(StAlbans). It has got to be an age thing or a child hate thing with these adult only sites.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Like i said what you wish to read into this is your problem!

But you read into is not what it states, because if it did say that i called you these things then it would have beeb removed.

*unnecessary comment removed*

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Diane " And what is that supposed to mean?

I think it means you are 100% opposite to each other in your views, which is fine by me and should be to everyone else.

Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts