hob not staying lit

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, I got a 2006 abbey vouge gts. When I put one of the hobs on it sparks and light but soon as I let go of the knob it goes straight out. Anyone have any ideas what could be the issue please?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
Are you holding the knob in for a short while after it ignites to allow the thermocouple to do its thing?
Do you have any problems with gas to other appliance? If you have a similar problem it might be a faulty regulator?
Far technically cleverer people than me on here. Hopefully you will get a fuller answer.
Good luck
mel

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
From your reply it is just one of the burners that has ceased to stay lit so the problem should be local to that burner. If it’s like mine the burner assembly is held in place by two small cross head screws, so worth taking apart to make sure all is clean and dry especially if a pan has been allowed to boil over. Reassemble and I hope it works again,.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It seems the flame failure feature is not latching, an aspect achieved via the thermocouple and the gas valve.
My first action before going deeper would be to ensure the valve stem really is being pushed firmly right in, sometimes the knob fouls something or the valve becomes stiff tending to inhibit it being pushed firmly home.

The next thing to check is if the gas distribution collar of the subject hob ring could have been misaligned such that a flame is not directly playing onto the thermocouple's probe. In some cases, these distribution rings can be aligned randomly, so an individual flame either hits or misses the probe, the system being more effective if a flame plays directly onto the sensor probe.

Failing that I would as further action replace the thermocouple, but I have the skills to safely do such tasks. Without that competence, such work needs to be done by someone who has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Hi.
Are you holding the knob in for a short while after it ignites to allow the thermocouple to do its thing?
Do you have any problems with gas to other appliance? If you have a similar problem it might be a faulty regulator?
Far technically cleverer people than me on here. Hopefully you will get a fuller answer.
Good luck
mel
Yeah doesn't matter how long I hold the knob in soon as i let go the hob goes straight off. Only the one and no other problems with any other gas appliance

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I got a 2006 abbey vouge gts. When I put one of the hobs on it sparks and light but soon as I let go of the knob it goes straight out. Anyone have any ideas what could be the issue please?
Are you running low on gas ?
After the hob lights it should heat up a thermocouple which in turn generates a voltage that keeps the gas valve open and the hob flame on.
Sounds like the valve is not staying open,could be
A duff valve or a duff thermocouple or maybe the burner flame is not heating the thermocouple.
You should see the thermocouple tip glowing when it is heated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts