Hobbies

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Deano

What about a Forum for caravanners that do JigSaws?

We Swap Jigsaws with others when we have finnished. We could form the "Swinging Jigsaw Caravanners"

Bring your own Donkey
It's way to late for that Colin!! I have been making an Ass of myself for years.

It started when I put my crash helmet down in the gutter to strap something onto my Lambretta. Then drove all thro' town, stoped to chat with friends, posed a bit as you do when 16 and then went home for lunch.

Took my helmet off and there stuck on top of it was a lump of dog poo.

So there you have it - I am the original sh*thead. never been the same since.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Our hobbie is F1 stockcar racing, we go watching most weekends, (we used to compete before the children), travelling all over the country from Knockhill in scotland to Kingslynn, or as far as Northampton, we sometimes take the caravan or we will just as happily pitch our tent, so we actually enjoy both our camping and our racing at the same time.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
heheh! I do cheat a little though, I use a Garmin Quest Sat. Nav. to find the hamlets/villages etc. but the pleasure comes in finding the place in the photo and then digitally enhancing your photo. Some photos have almost changed beyond recognition but usually theres a building there which lets you know you are in the right location that the original photographer took his pic. I normally try to use pics with people/old transport etc rather than just a building. Theres some beautiful old photos out there, go look at http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/easy.asp and put in a search for streets.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
heheh! I do cheat a little though, I use a Garmin Quest Sat. Nav. to find the hamlets/villages etc. but the pleasure comes in finding the place in the photo and then digitally enhancing your photo. Some photos have almost changed beyond recognition but usually theres a building there which lets you know you are in the right location that the original photographer took his pic. I normally try to use pics with people/old transport etc rather than just a building. Theres some beautiful old photos out there, go look at http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/easy.asp and put in a search for streets.
It sounds really interesting.......

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B ..I think you siad you were retired? Here is an idea, our local paper always shows a beore and after shot of places in and around the town every week...Have you not thought of trying to sell your picture to local papers, may be an idea to turn a hobby into some cash...P & R

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B ..I think you siad you were retired? Here is an idea, our local paper always shows a beore and after shot of places in and around the town every week...Have you not thought of trying to sell your picture to local papers, may be an idea to turn a hobby into some cash...P & R
Yes I had to retire early. Thanks for the idea but yes I have thought about it because it would help fund my hobby. Ink and inkjet photo quality paper is expensive when printing 2 pics to a page. Unfortunately there is the question of copyright which could cause all kinds of implications and I'm not sure out to get around that. :O(

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Yes I had to retire early. Thanks for the idea but yes I have thought about it because it would help fund my hobby. Ink and inkjet photo quality paper is expensive when printing 2 pics to a page. Unfortunately there is the question of copyright which could cause all kinds of implications and I'm not sure out to get around that. :O(
LB

Most old pictures are copy write released. But, you are not publishing them so all you have to do is tell the paper the source of the photo and they will sort it out before publishing.

A lot of copy write owners will allow publication with just a foot note.

If you have been doing this for some time, you will have a lot to start with, could be worth a few phone calls

Good luck

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B...and don't forget I loose my Job Christmas Eve...so any extra commision that comes my way for the idea gratefully received! Only Joking, my be worth looking into more based on what Steve has just said.

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
Lord B

dont know if it will help you but i get my ink from www.inkinkink.net they are very good on price and the quality of the last batch was excellent I found their paper was a bit expensive though.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
One of my interests is railways too but purely from a nostalgic point of view. I was a train-spotter before anoraks was invented. I then joined B.R. as a fireman on the good old Western Region until Dr. Beeching bid me farewell. When Im away in the van Ive always got a stack of Steam Worlds, Steam Days, BRILLS or old Trains Illustrateds I bought on EBay. When out in the van if theres a preserved line locally I normally go take a peek. I paid a visit to the West Somerset at Minehead last week and also the Welsh Highland at Waunfawr 2 weeks previously. You cant beat the smell that emanates from a steam locomotive and it takes me back to the happy days I had firing.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
One of my interests is railways too but purely from a nostalgic point of view. I was a train-spotter before anoraks was invented. I then joined B.R. as a fireman on the good old Western Region until Dr. Beeching bid me farewell. When Im away in the van Ive always got a stack of Steam Worlds, Steam Days, BRILLS or old Trains Illustrateds I bought on EBay. When out in the van if theres a preserved line locally I normally go take a peek. I paid a visit to the West Somerset at Minehead last week and also the Welsh Highland at Waunfawr 2 weeks previously. You cant beat the smell that emanates from a steam locomotive and it takes me back to the happy days I had firing.
I forgot to add that I worked on many different classes of locomotive, Castles, Halls, Granges, Manors in fact most of the ex GWR locos and also Jacko's (LMS) incl. Black 5s, 8Fs, Jubilees but only 1 crab. Fired most of the Standards incl. Evening Star 3 times when it was shedded at Ebbw Vale Junc. Twice was on the Rowley Regis tanks. I only fired 1 Britannia, that was "Dornoch Firth" on a Christmas Parcels to Bristol. It had a coal booster on the tender which saved a lot of hard work trimming and bringing the coal forward. Those were happy days with the exception of the time I fired 45584 North West Frontier on a troop train special and the main feed pipe to the injector cracked. We was towed to Hereford from Craven Arms by an 8F. At Hereford a squaddy came up to us and said "bloody hell guvnor, cant you put any steam heating on, we are perished". My driver, the late Robin Jones replied " look here skip, just be thankful you ******** got here at all".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I forgot to add that I worked on many different classes of locomotive, Castles, Halls, Granges, Manors in fact most of the ex GWR locos and also Jacko's (LMS) incl. Black 5s, 8Fs, Jubilees but only 1 crab. Fired most of the Standards incl. Evening Star 3 times when it was shedded at Ebbw Vale Junc. Twice was on the Rowley Regis tanks. I only fired 1 Britannia, that was "Dornoch Firth" on a Christmas Parcels to Bristol. It had a coal booster on the tender which saved a lot of hard work trimming and bringing the coal forward. Those were happy days with the exception of the time I fired 45584 North West Frontier on a troop train special and the main feed pipe to the injector cracked. We was towed to Hereford from Craven Arms by an 8F. At Hereford a squaddy came up to us and said "bloody hell guvnor, cant you put any steam heating on, we are perished". My driver, the late Robin Jones replied " look here skip, just be thankful you ******** got here at all".
Lord B (if I may be so bold as to call you that) - The more I read of your postings the more I come to appreciate you as a true gentleman. As stated in my posting on this topic of hobbies I too am a steam railway enthusiast who can remember anoraks being invented. My main interest is the GWR, God's Wonderful Railway (or as some would say Great Way Round), especially relating to south Wales. Have you been to Paignton on the south Devon run to Kingswear - a wonderful coastal trip with magnificant views, in my opinion one of the best in the country. To all those non railway fans I do realise that I am going off the rails here slightly as this is a caravan forum but please excuse a retired person a bit of leeway now and again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apart from getting away in the caravan, my intrests are Railways and buses. Also like surfing the web.
Hi Del. I am glad there are others who have a similar interest to me. I thought I was a loner. There is nothing to beat the classic lines of a steam locomotive at full throttle with a train of coaches (especially GWR) or for the classic lines of post war commercial vehicles whether they be classic busses or freight lorries/vans. Here I go again - see my reply to Lord B (the next posting to yours) Kind regards to a fellow enthusiast from an avid enthusiast.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My intrest is also on the nostalgic part. love reading old magazine and books and visiting sites. On the summer break this year I took my wife, daughter and daughters partner for a meal on the evening Strathspey highlander from Aviemore and it was one of the finest nights out. The rest of the family (who have very little intrest in railways ) loved it , the meal was fantastic and the scenery undescribable, 2.5 hours on the train a 5 course meal and an acordianist playing music for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any actual or potential artists put off oil painting while touring by the smell of turps etc. as the masterpiece dries, may like to know of the Winsor and newton Artisan range of oils which are mixed with sunflower oil. Brushes was in warm soapy water. A special medium assists flow and decreases drying time. Use covered boards instead of canvas and hang to dry inside the van using bluetak - impresses the visitors no end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts