Hobby Caravans

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone got any information on Hobby caravans. Don't seem to have much on their web site. Anyone own or used one how do they compare to british built caravans

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As with anything, you will get varied replies, however, I do own one after having a leaking British built van and I would never buy another British built unit.Everything works,it does not leak and it tows like a dream, and it doesnot fall apart every time you take it out.

You will get people saying they are banned from many sites, in fact they are not,just a few short sighted commercial sites.

If you belong to the CC or C&CC, or both, then there is no problem using any of their sites.
Insurance is easily arranged through the CC.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's one thing to be savvy about Hobby's - they're built in two widths, 2.55m and 2.3m, and some body lengths exceed the UK maximum of 7m - the wider and/or longer ones are popular but can only be towed by a lorry and you must have a C1E driving licence - to be precise the vehicle must have a maximum weight of 3501 kg or more.

No cars are that heavy, neither are normal pickups or Transit-type vans. There are a few grey-import US pickups (but not all of them!) and a few "Jumbo" vans that are 3501 kg or over as well as US RV motorhomes.

You may see cars towing wide or long Hobby's but they're usually overseas visitors for which there's a temporary exemption or "travellers" who do so illegally.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
No cars are that heavy, neither are normal pickups or Transit-type vans. There are a few grey-import US pickups (but not all of them!) and a few "Jumbo" vans that are 3501 kg or over as well as US RV motorhomes.
According to soem car forums apparently those US grey imports vehicles are re-certified in the UK and their towing capacity downgraded to 3500kgs even though they are capable of towing far higher weights.

However the OP may be interested in visiting the Hobby Owners forum for up to date news. See http://s4.zetaboards.com/Hobby_Owners_Club/index/

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
According to some car forums apparently those US grey imports vehicles are re-certified in the UK and their towing capacity downgraded to 3500kgs even though they are capable of towing far higher weights.
It's not the towing weight that has to be 3501 kg or more, it's the maximum laden weight of the vehicle that determines which category it is.
Typically, single rear-wheel US pickups will still be under 3500 kg anyway - it's the monster twin rear-wheel pickups that can be over that.
I guess they get replated down to 3500 kg to allow them to be registered as cars, not LGVs, and driven on a car licence.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
Surfer said:
According to some car forums apparently those US grey imports vehicles are re-certified in the UK and their towing capacity downgraded to 3500kgs even though they are capable of towing far higher weights.
It's not the towing weight that has to be 3501 kg or more, it's the maximum laden weight of the vehicle that determines which category it is.
Typically, single rear-wheel US pickups will still be under 3500 kg anyway - it's the monster twin rear-wheel pickups that can be over that.
I guess they get replated down to 3500 kg to allow them to be registered as cars, not LGVs, and driven on a car licence.

Quite correct and thanks for clarifying as that is what I meant, but got myself mixed up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cannot say about English vans, never owned one , always bought continental. About 4 years ago bought a Hobby La Vita Bionda 460 UFE in France. Firstly because I bought it France service was refused in the UK until I contacted Hobby direct.
The style was innovative but the interior poor along with plastic front box. Every time we went to France we went via the dealer to have something put right. Water plug unscrewed as you did the stopper up, water swelling interior cupboard edges..[we do notplash a lot of water] water leak from waste pipe! cupboard not fitting! never did despite returning ita couple of times. Plastic on each side of front box split. Sliding unit cut electrics and before I got rid of it, the bed collapsed, we are small people. The front box let in a lot of water, also the hinge rubber split and the whole lid had to be replaced. A tap was also blocked. It was supplied with a disfigured fridge door. Everything was put right under the warranty but who wants all this trouble.
Would I buy another, never. Now have a Fendt Bianco 465 purchased in Dortmund, fabulous just one or two minor problems.

TRENDING THREADS