Hobby -vs- Bailey

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having experienced disastrous quality issues with UK caravans my last 3 have been German, a Knaus, a Fendt and currently a Hobby.

I still have the 1995 Knaus which is now kept in France and apart from tap washers and interior lamp bulbs hasn't had any fault.

The Fendt was also fault free until being stolen after 3 years.

I've had my Hobby since 2005, again fault free.

So, obviously, I am biased towards German, however, you will now be bombarded by those advocating UK caravans and de-crying others as they seem to ignore the rubbish offerings by the UK industry and continue to purchase them, thus encouraging the UK makers to carry on unchanged.

I have heard that the quality of some German caravans has dipped in the past year, so do your homework, study the relevant forums covering the makes that may be of interest to you.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Rod

I am looking to change caravan, but no rush my Bailey is now fine.

However in the first year the Domitec fridge failed twice, the water heater failed, and i've add other repairs, the ariel being changed was another.

So my question to you is this. Given that i am happy with the van in general, apart from the fitments mentioned, that have failed.

Does your German van have a Dometec fridge,Truma heater,and status ariel?

If so then i'm struggling to find a reason to buy foreign, especially with the present exchange rate.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
And i forgot to mention i am on my 3rd charger, again sorted in the first year, i noted the failing swift chargers were european, italy i think?, what make do you have?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

You raise a good point in that many of the appliances are common but at times I believe that it is the installation that is different.

For instance, the fridges are supposed to be enclosed in a box to isolate the van interior from draughts coming via the fridge vents but many UK manufacturers omit this, even thought it is specified in the installation manual.

My Knaus does use the Truma (gas only) boiler and the Dometic fridge.

My Hobby uses a Truma Elektroboiler (230vac only) and a Thetford fridge.

But apart from ignition battery replacement, I've never experienced any problems with these.

Again, I didn't have problems with these in UK caravans, the problems were all to do with water ingress and disintegration of the body structure. Cabinets pulling away from the walls, shower compartment pulling away from the walls etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

You raise a good point in that many of the appliances are common but at times I believe that it is the installation that is different.

For instance, the fridges are supposed to be enclosed in a box to isolate the van interior from draughts coming via the fridge vents but many UK manufacturers omit this, even thought it is specified in the installation manual.

My Knaus does use the Truma (gas only) boiler and the Dometic fridge.

My Hobby uses a Truma Elektroboiler (230vac only) and a Thetford fridge.

But apart from ignition battery replacement, I've never experienced any problems with these.

Again, I didn't have problems with these in UK caravans, the problems were all to do with water ingress and disintegration of the body structure. Cabinets pulling away from the walls, shower compartment pulling away from the walls etc.
Just to add, no aerials were supplied with the Hobby.

The Knaus has the Status "flying saucer" type which was useless in the UK but performs very well on French terrestrial TV.

For both France and the UK I use Sat. dishes and digiboxes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add, no aerials were supplied with the Hobby.

The Knaus has the Status "flying saucer" type which was useless in the UK but performs very well on French terrestrial TV.

For both France and the UK I use Sat. dishes and digiboxes.
Oh for a good editor!!

The Knaus has a large Cramer power supply/charger unit.

The Hobby has a Sterling International charger fitted by myself as I didn't specify a charger when the caravan was built as it was excessively costly.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We are on our second German van but both have been Hymers; one for 7 seasons the latest one year. Not totally trouble free but nevertheless very little trouble and nothing serious. Clearly with the depressed

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Rod

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback.

The faults i had with the was the 240v element, failed both times, and only after a couple of weeks use. Obviously that has soured my opinion of anything Dometec. To me Dometec = poor quality control. I don't think the fridge is fitted incorrectly.

Interestingly my Avondale had the Electrolux for 7 years, and never failed, now part of Dometec.

The truma water heater we have, along with the fire, are both gas and electrically operated, which i require, gas is the back up.

The biggest disappointment i had with the european offers in 2004, was the poor or non existent shower cubicles, which for us is the top of our want list.

Obviously such as the Hobby, the wood work was top draw, the down side, was the extra weight.

Unfortunately it appears the home market has started to produce showroom caravans, rather than ones that are useful, i say this with the walk in shower in mind, at the expense of wardrobe/storage space.

Who the hell requires a walk in shower in a caravan?

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Allan, If you said Hobby versus Bailey I would certainly say Hobby or any other German Van. But I would like to stress that there are a few very good caravans manufactured in the UK for eg. Coachman and the Explorer Group Elddis, which we have had in the last 6 years, to prove the point. Neither make have we had any problems with whatsover.

Then the other consideration is you will not get all the standard fittings of British Caravans in a standard German van (which I might add are very well made) For instance they may have a fridge, but no oven, or microwave. The upholstery is usually hard and in Blue or Grey no soft colours and soft cushions in foreign vans like the Brit ones. The reason for no ovens is all the Europeans, except for UK, cook prepare their food in the Awning and then wash up at the washing facities on site. They have portable ovens etc in the awning. Lastly the price of Euro vans is very expensive with the state of the Euro at the moment.

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Rod

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback.

The faults i had with the was the 240v element, failed both times, and only after a couple of weeks use. Obviously that has soured my opinion of anything Dometec. To me Dometec = poor quality control. I don't think the fridge is fitted incorrectly.

Interestingly my Avondale had the Electrolux for 7 years, and never failed, now part of Dometec.

The truma water heater we have, along with the fire, are both gas and electrically operated, which i require, gas is the back up.

The biggest disappointment i had with the european offers in 2004, was the poor or non existent shower cubicles, which for us is the top of our want list.

Obviously such as the Hobby, the wood work was top draw, the down side, was the extra weight.

Unfortunately it appears the home market has started to produce showroom caravans, rather than ones that are useful, i say this with the walk in shower in mind, at the expense of wardrobe/storage space.

Who the hell requires a walk in shower in a caravan?
Bought a brand new Bailey Ranger in July 2006.....Had it serviced twice by Barons/Discover in 07 and 08 who didnt find 100% water ingress on either occasion (at a cost of almost

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Bought a brand new Bailey Ranger in July 2006.....Had it serviced twice by Barons/Discover in 07 and 08 who didnt find 100% water ingress on either occasion (at a cost of almost

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Charlie

If the same happened to me, my reaction would be the same.

My bailey is as far as i can tell (i damp check it myself yearly) damp free.

I wouldn't trust a dealer to wipe my nose, as for paying

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

The Hobby 540WLU has a rear washroom with full size shower.

It comes with a built in microwave at knee height, unlike the UK vans which seem to install the microwaves dangerously high, for the removal of hot liquids.

A built in SMEG oven is optional but I prefer to keep the heat out of the caravan and in the awning.

MJC

May 24, 2006
Visit site
I am on the old soapbox about UK and German vans. I've had 2 Uk and 2 German vans. Dianne - when I bought both of my Hymer vans we had a choice of 4 color schemes, so please don't generalise and say they are greys etc- get a brochure. You get one colour in a GB van. Both of my Hymers had an oven(gosh!) Granted it is a Smev - maybe a new word to lots of people but in lots of caravans. The fridge (yes a fridge) is dometic, the heater is truma, the toliet is the same as UK.It has UL plug sockets.The Germans use the same as UK. One excellent feature of a hymer is that it all runs on 12v.Even the toilet can be flushed without plugging in. I don't need electric at all. And NOTHING has fallen off. We use it for main holidays aboraod and over here. I had an Eldis and I can honestly say that every time we went away - we took it back via the dealers. Nightmare.

And guess what you can insure a foreign van (amazing) - we still get that question.

My friends have bought a Swift - the door fell off before they got it home (screws too short). They changed from a Hymer - they rue the day. I have never met a person who will go from a foreign to a GB van. That speaks volumes.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Mandy

Are you having a bad hair day?

I find your post rather rude, and can't think of any of the above posts, that would provoke such a hostile post.

Quite a few of your comments are indeed generalisations, for example my bailey had at lest two options for the upholstery, maybe three, can't remember, but i paid an extra

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My view is that the Hobby, generally, is a much better van than most , if not all, British built vans.

Like all vans however, they can have the odd problem, but nowhere near as much as british, and very rarely does it involve damp (there is one area on a Hobby which can be problematic regarding damp but it is a 30 minute job to remedy and costs pennies to do)

The difference with them is that most of the lighting is either 12v DC or 12 AC and is controlled by a Dometic power supply unit, which can go wrong and costs about

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ray for your comments.

Mandy

As Ray said in his last post cannot undetstand why you need to be so rude to fellow caravanners. I did not say there was anything wrong with German caravans in fact think they are very good but they do not suite our taste and we have been in a lot of different makes especially being abroad 2 or 3 months of the year in Germany and Austria on sites and in Caravan Sales

outlets. Many German friends visiting our van think it is a very comfortable well built van as it is. All the German vans on the site we are now on in Austria are using Mains electricity

Certainly 12 v electricity only would not suit us. 3 choices of upholstery with Elddis. Cannot fault ours.

Allan. Hope you find the caravan you like and it serves you well whatever country it comes from. Nearly all the fittings Loo, water heater, fire, windows, fridge, chassis and hitch are German even the Motor Mover so not much from the UK to go wrong on it.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
It may be me but I can't see what is offensive in Mandy's post !!

Do Hobby not have some problem with the width for UK towing ??

I must admit if I did seasonal caravanning I would opt for the big T/A Hobby.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone slate British manufactured caravans when it is just one or two makes we hear about having problems on this Forum?. After all there are some very well manufactured caravans made in the UK and good value that do not have problems. Over the last 40 years we have had 8 British made caravans and never had a problem with any one of them.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In answer to the question raised by Gumbo, the only problem relating to towing a Hobby is that any Hobby up to the 540 series are fine, they are 2.3 mtrs wide and perfectly legal to tow in this country.

All the twin axle vans are 2.5 mtrs wide and need a tow vehicle with a GVW of 3501kg or more.

As for the comment by Mike Mc.....".Would not touch a Hobby because I don't want people thinking I am a pikey."

Each to their own view, but you do not know what you are missing.

Besides, the travelling fraternity not only use Hobby, but also Tabbert, LMC and others, some even use British vans, so are you going to avoid every van they may use?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts