Hobby -vs- Bailey

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dianne, I am interested in your comment "Why does everyone slate British manufactured caravans when it is just one or two makes we hear about having problems on this Forum?."

Please be so good as to name any british van which does not have problems?

G

Well percentage wise you will here of a lot less problems with German vans, dosen't mean there not there, with a fartherland van you also get the aesthetics of a brick.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With some reluctance I have to join in. i have been caravanning since 1966 and until my current van have always bought British, the previous two being Coachman. My current Burstner van is easliy the best built I have ever owned and the only problems have been with "bought-in" fittings like taps. Size for size it is heavy, as the bed boxes etc are plywood rather than chipboard, and the roof is well stong enough to walk on.

The upholstery is a cheerful orange / buff / etc (fashion colours are not my strong point).

The major complaints I have are the lack of any drawer storage apart from the front chest; the complete lack of any wiring diagram in the instruction bookand the legend on the fuse box bearing little realtionship to the actual connections; the completely rubbish PDI (not totally the fault of the manufacturer); the somewhat inadequate interior lighting; and the very high noseweight due to combination of long drawbar and front mounted spare wheel. How they can show this caravan in the brochure with two bicycles on the drawbar being pulled by MB E Class (max nose weight 75kg) I do not know.

I keep looking at current UK vans, as the Burstner will need replacing eventually, but have no idea what i would buy if it was stolen tonight.

G

A combination of british design with the German build quality would be a winner, no complaints so far with my one year old Swift group van, tim will tell.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
When i last looked to change in 2004, Guist vans were being given a "british" front end, with the three front windows.

We looked at some at Bawtry caravans, unfortunately the conversion looked to me like a diy job.

To be honest i don't think "real" wood is required for a caravan interior, the weight penalty certainly doesn't appeal in anyway.

I don't understand why british vans have duel fuel fitments, but german vans don't seem to, why is that?

Why no battery and charger?

I appear to be going full circle again as in 2004, my bailey would automatically be replaced with another, if it wasn't for such unreliable fitments, i onlt recently had to change both pumps due to failure, they must have a live span 300 hours.

I'm just not happy with the quality of the fitments, and then i find the german vans have the same makes.

And as a bonus you get the door on the wrong side.

G

We are on our 2nd EU van, not just because of that fact, but because we like the style and layout. The type of caravanning in Europe is different to that here probably because of the climate. In the UK you spend a lot of time inside the van, whereas in Europe (hopefully) you are outside except for sleeping. Therefore you do not need all the accutriments that seem to be essential kit here such as big cookers and huge washrooms etc. A BBQ and using the site (usually excellent) facilities is all you need. Also the furnishings in UK vans are what my wife describes as 'old fashioned' Flowery prints or beige went out years ago, at least that is what I am told.

As far as quality is concerned many of the Posts have identified the more expensive German type vans. Mine was a cheapie (also a good reason for the purchase) and probably the fittings are as good, or bad as anyone else's in that price bracket. I certainly got better kit than the equivalent UK van and again the final van was larger and lighter and so easier to tow than the UK equivalent.

One thing that does annoy me is that the EU manufacturers limit the number of models they will supply to the UK, Hymer being a classic example. I really like their intermediate range as again the weight is acceptable to my tow car, but only the top range models are supplied here, which are far too heavy, so I have to either get a dealer to import my choice, or buy in Europe. I accept they limit the choice because of the demand and have to change doors etc, but as I tour mostly in Europe that is not a problem for me.

G

" 'old fashioned' Flowery prints or beige went out years ago"

Yes they did in UK caravans too.

G

Curious. Just looked at amajor manufacturer's website and what did I see? Beige everywhere for all models. Boring.

G

Beige, stone, light toned neutral colours as a base are best for small areas like caravans, some continental vans look like they've let Timmy Mallet lose with the design of the interiors.

0902034201-timmy%20mallet.jpg

G

At least they don't look like my Granny's living room.

As for the idea that beige is ideal for a small area, well, what can one say? Cobblers comes to mind.

By the way, do like the self portrait

G

The " Granny's living room" might have applied to uk vans several years ago now its more 'loft appartment' leaving the continental vans ( Hymer perhaps excluded ) way behide with there tacky furnishings and cheap plastic fittings, net curtains.

Burstner
belcantointerior2.jpg

Hobby
1.jpg

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I have no experience of a Hobby trailer caravan, but my in-laws have a Hobby Motorhome. It has been a nightmare. In 2 seasons use it has been back to the dealer 18 times for warranty work (non of which related to the Fiat van that forms the vehicle aspect of the wagon. The electrical system has failed, the security system has failed, trim from just about every part of the van has repeatedly come lose. All in all they greatly regret buying Hobby!

G

One could argue this till the cows come home. At the end of the day people buy what they like.

As for quality, every manufacturer has had their 'bad days'. It is just unfortunate if it happens to be the van you bought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts