'Holiday flags' on credit and debit cards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I undertand that some card companies now have a scheme called 'flags' whereby you can tell them that you are going on holiday and that your card/s will be used overseas.
This sounds a good idea but there have been cases recently where 'flags' have been set but have expired before the end of the holiday and the card blocked.
I've yet to try the scheme but sould suggest that anyone who does should make sure that the 'flag' will be in operation for their full period abroad.
Incidentally, I wonder if the card gets blocked for UK use if you come back early ?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've always let our banks know when we'll be in France - simply a start date and an end date. We've never been delayed or come back early, but it's easy enough to let them know one way or the other.
We've never had the problems that some report of not being able to get through to the bank, either.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Val, I always used to let my banks know too, but after a couple of blockings they told me this was aa waste of time since the blockings were done by computer and were instant. Getting through to the banks was no fun either - replacement Visa card - Tesco - was organised from mid - west America and arrived without pin number such that no ATM would accept it and no bank counter would take it with passport etc. and give us cash, despite Visa saying that they would. (I tried 5 banks - all big ones - and my French is fairly good - not a morning I look back on with pleasure).
Things have been better over the last two or three years and are certainly better than the far off days of cash and travellers cheques.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nationwide didn't seem to take my phone calls seriously last year when I rang to say we were going abroad, but this year I see they have a special page on their website where you can tell them. Much better, I hope, fingers crossed!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always let credit card companies and our banks know when we are going on holiday. Unfortunately about 4 days before we went away this time my Tesco credit card was compromised and there was not enough time to get a replacement to me before we went. However we both always take two credit cards and we each have our own bank cards (different banks) so hopefully we are covered!

David

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We are with Lloyds TSB and wenever let them know we are going away these days as they said it was not necessary we have never had a problem either. We are notified by text when we use our Debit Card abroad.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
In the past, I have let both my bank (debit card) and credit card company know I am going abroad. One year, we had a credit card stopped, although quickly rectified with a free phone call to the issuer. However, the last couple of times I tried to do so, I waited for around 45 minutes on the phone to get through. The very last time, I said "oh, *** it" and hung up - no problems with using the card. I haven't bothered since.

Jo

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
I am with Lloyds and they have a scheme which will Txt you to let you know if your card has been used outside the UK and they also send a number for you to call if it is not approved. You have to be careful and understand that some companies are not UK based and you may get a txt. As I found out on the Stena ferry back from Ireland, used it in the shop then got back into UK waters, received Txt to say that my card had been used in Scandinavia as this is where there head office is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts