Holiday money

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone advise me on the best and safest way to take holiday money with me to France? Sterling notes, Euros, Travellers cheques or a mix of all. My caravan does not have a safe.

Regards Malcolm and Caryl

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
We take a few euro's but use our cards for shopping etc.

Nationwide don't charge any commision on purchases or withdrawals out of machines and give a good exchange rate.

Haven't taken

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Malcolm,

I work in Rotterdam, UK main residence and UK bank accounts - and a loyalty card from the Auchan hypermarket chain.

In France you'll have no problems using credit cards in hypermarkets, restaurants, motorway toll booths, or commercial camp sites.

Travellers Cheques are dead.

Take a few Euro - about 100 in 10 Euro notes - with you for any emergency purchases. Do not use (or accept from a UK bank) Euro notes greater than the 50 denomination - many shops won't accept high value notes.

For more cash use your debit card in an ATM machine - you will probably get a slightly less favourable exchange rate compared to your bank at home - but it's convenient.

If you are worried about security - buy a travel safe - the PacSafe products are highly regarded - try this link http://www.pac-safe.com/product.aspx?pId=646

PacSafes are lightweight bags with a cut proof stainless steel web inside the fabric - you can get different sizes - different styles. Most camping shops in the UK sell them.

We use a PacSafe for our passports / documentation / extra credit cards / surplus money / satnav unit - and fit it in the car boot or our Eriba - depending where we are.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As previously said, if you have a debit card there's absolutely no need to take money with you. We found you can now use your chip and pin cards in some supermarkets, just like at home. You can certainly use them in the hole in the wall, and just draw money out as you need it. As mentioned, there are flags on screen to select instructions in English - and generally you get a better rate than you would purchasing Euros in England!

Travellers cheques, etc., just seem so old fashioned now, and mean waiting until a bank is open. There are still some 'Bureau de Change' around (certainly in Spain), but they didn't seem to be doing much business last week!

May 2, 2006
Visit site
I always felt slightly guilty when using cash machines on the continent that they all offer the user several languages, but there is no sign of similar facilities for foreign tourists using UK ATMs. (Though I have to say we are offered both English and Cymraeg here in Wales.)

Anyway I asked my bank why they were so inhospitable to foreigners and their reply was that they are just as friendly. They said if a foreign cash card is inserted the user will be offered more languages. So I have been trying to find somebody with a continental bank card to check out the story in a UK machine. Anybody able to confirm this? Lutz perhaps?

Cheers,

Mike A

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I always felt slightly guilty when using cash machines on the continent that they all offer the user several languages, but there is no sign of similar facilities for foreign tourists using UK ATMs. (Though I have to say we are offered both English and Cymraeg here in Wales.)

Anyway I asked my bank why they were so inhospitable to foreigners and their reply was that they are just as friendly. They said if a foreign cash card is inserted the user will be offered more languages. So I have been trying to find somebody with a continental bank card to check out the story in a UK machine. Anybody able to confirm this? Lutz perhaps?

Cheers,

Mike A
Using my bank card in the UK I have also been offered instructions in German but I can't confirm that this applies to all banks. Maybe it just depends from whom they bought the software.

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
The Caravan Club visa card from Frizzell gives you best exchange rates also. We live in France and use ours all the time for shopping. What you can't do is get petrol from automated fuel pumps.

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts