home broadand

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
we closed down our home broadband 2 months ago , and as we are now pensioners we are looking for cheaper deals , looking on the web site the top cheap deals with phone see to be talk talk / primus / plus net / some charge a connection charge plus the call charge so i would like to know are these deals as cheap as they seem and are there wifi speeds really slow

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I use talktalk and cannot fault them. Pay for line rental and broadband as one then for calls. I pay extra for free calls all week so cn't give you a figure. I have had some technical problems and talktalk have alwys handled them well. (This includes helping me set up a new lap top.) My speed is no where near the advertised speed but neither is anyone elses here. I have never noticed any choking and have never lost the connection. Been with them 3 years.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
We are also pensioners and had so many problems with talk talk.We changed to O2 as we have mobile phone with them and as long as mobile is topped up by £10 every 3 months we get cheap broadband and have not had one problem since.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Waffler said:
I use talktalk and cannot fault them. Pay for line rental and broadband as one then for calls. I pay extra for free calls all week so cn't give you a figure. I have had some technical problems and talktalk have alwys handled them well. (This includes helping me set up a new lap top.) My speed is no where near the advertised speed but neither is anyone elses here. I have never noticed any choking and have never lost the connection. Been with them 3 years.
Must be where you live then as my connection with TT is constantly being lost, I've dealt with technical now 4 times, the call centres are all over the world, sometimes i can understand whats being said, often not.
A trick I've found is to just hang up if communicating id difficult, eventually you reach someone who is clearly understood, the irish call centre I've found the best.
Latest problem has been over the last two weeks, when the wife uses the phone my connection is dropped, happens 80% of the time, then we have the really slow link, I've tested it at 1500, on those broadband test links.

I have used TT for years now, but feel a change coming on, at the moment i am only paying half due to a deal.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.
having been with BT, Tiscali, (now talk talk) Virgin, and now Sky, I would say that all the providers have pluses and minuses it depends on what you are looking for cheap is not always the best, or in the long run the cheapest.

BT, was fine in the early days! as they had the corner on the market but speeds were slow and the service was intremittent the big draw back was the line rental for the phone, I have no idea what the new infinity is like but it did seem expensive for what was a basic package the last time I looked.

Tiscali. was billiant when it first came out, broadband and phone for £10 a month inclusive the phone line included all UK no's including 0845 and 0847 and international calls to certain desinations were also free, in the 3 years we were with them we never paid one penny in call charges, this changed when Talk Talk took over they changed the package and also the way we were billed. the price escalated and the service went downhill warning here "Talk Talk do not like losing customers and will make it as difficult as possible for you to change later. they refused to give us the MAC codes for the line effectively cutting us off without paying BT to re establish the line. and blocked all internet access, e-mail accounts and phone on the day I cancelled but still wanted one month extra payment they never got it however and maybe the reason we didn't get the Mac codes. so be warned??.

Virgin were a waste of space from day one never got the fulll service I ordered TV was mediocre an old PACE box instead of the plus box ordered and call charges for everything exept for calling Virgin to complain. service was slow despite the optical fibre and the broadband was throttled down at busy times and the more you used it, we only went with them because it was the only supplier that would not charge us for connecting the now defunct phone line final straw was when they offered new customers a better package all inclusive inc HD for 1/2 the price we were paying.

we are now with Sky upto press everything has been fine it's not the chapest at £38 a month but the extras inc full HD, sky go, on demand, and free phone and broadband seem ok. the broadband service (while not the fastest) has been faultless and does not get cut off when the phone is used "unlike BT and Talk Talk" we did look at all the alternatives like Primus and Plus net befroe singing with Sky but most seem to be around the £25 mark a month after installation plus call charges.

no one seems to do the old broadband only bit for a few quid a month "exept for a dongle" all have the extras that you pay for on top so I suppose it is a case of what you can get extra for the money, one thing is for sure I would not have Talk Talk if they were the ONLY supplier available, but that is just my opinion.

before I go just make sure Joe that if you decide to get Talk Talk that you insist they give you the wide band service "not the narrow one" when it is transfered from BT or whoever and dont use their server for e-mails, as this will be deleted if you cancell later on, and if possible get the MAC codes,

colin

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Two weeks with Talk Talk was more than enough. We moved across to PlusNet about 3 - 4 years ago and have not looked back. Excellent local support. PlusNet have some good deals on at present.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
We have been with Virgin for a long time now with no problems
I have done the speed test & it always come out the fastest for uploads & downloads & it is going to be even quicker from June

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It a bit of a nightmare trying to work out which provider offers the best deal, as there is no standardised package on which to make true comparisons. There will be good and bad reports about every provider. Its difficult try and come to a fully reasoned conclusion about which will be best for you.

On top of that the service they offer will vary from area to area.

I take phone and broadband from the same provider. The biggest difficulty I have had is when a problem arose. For several weeks our phone calls were plagued with crackling which at times became so loud it masked the call. My Broadband was also noticeably slower and dropped out from time to time.

All of the agencies involved denied any responsibility for it and all wanted to charge me to investigate it further unless their equipment was found to be faulty.

It took a month to sort out, but it turned out that it was a corroded joint that BT had made about three years earlier on the new pole outside my house. and that was only found because a new house was being added to the pole.

Oh for the days when you only had to make one phone call,and they were responsible for every thing - same applies to gas and electric services.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
As other have said it is a bit of a minefeild.
My top tip would be to ask around your neighbours as to what they have and what kind of speeds they recieve. I am on virgin as is my brother who lives at the opposite end of town. My speed is supper fast yet his is just acceptable. Meanwhile my mother in the same town does well on BT where as I founf it like walking through treacle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just resigned for 12 months with BT as I got the £16 per month at £10.25 so stayed with them. Had I changed I would have gone back to Plusnet who were cheap and have a 4 out of 5 review rating on some comparison sites. Plusnet are owned by BT.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
thanks for all the replies guys , i was previously with virgin , paying 38 pound per month without the tv , we have been with them for over 10 years , it used to wid me up that new cutomers got better deals than existing customers , there ere no deals for loyalty , i also cancelled because i knew i would be away for 2 months , so i wasnt going o pay for a service i wasnt using , thay did make promises about canceling or 2 months , but i had been down that road before , i shall take on board every thing thats been said ,and make a decision when i return , thanks all

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We're with TalkTalk and it was definitely much better when it was Tiscali! Apparently TalkTalk are now part of AOL (not many people know that!!!!!). I must admit we've been looking at PlusNet and various other local providers, which seem to offer cheap deals. However, from experience, you rarely get what you're paying for! I think the only exception was with Tiscali at their start up when we had a very cheap deal, good speeds, no downtime, and no problems with call centres!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Val A. said:
We're with TalkTalk and it was definitely much better when it was Tiscali! Apparently TalkTalk are now part of AOL (not many people know that!!!!!). I must admit we've been looking at PlusNet and various other local providers, which seem to offer cheap deals. However, from experience, you rarely get what you're paying for! I think the only exception was with Tiscali at their start up when we had a very cheap deal, good speeds, no downtime, and no problems with call centres!
I can only echo that Val, Tiscali was brilliant
smiley-laughing.gif
but Talk Talk
smiley-cry.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I amcurrently with AOL, and just to correct a small error, AOL (in the UK) is now owned by talk talk, not the other way round but it continues to opertate as a largely independant provider. Since talk talk bought AOL. the quality of the customer service has deteriorated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Re Joabys on loyalty I fully agree. When my BT contract was coming to an end recently I was offered another 12 months on broadband at £16 pm so I rang customer support and listed to them the deals being offered to new customers by themselves and competitors. Couple of minutes is all it took to get the price reduced to £10.25. I find the same works with my mobiles too but you might have to be prepared to move in the end.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok ...placing my head above the parapet here ...but been with the supposedly worst supplier for five years now ..Orange..No problem up to now and getting free calls anytime , broadband up to 5 megs ( Ha! ) and land line for £22 cal/month.
I have to use Voip to phone my daughter in Aussie land for 1p/min.which is sooo easy.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Val A. said:

Isn't it the other way around and AOL is now owned by TalkTalk?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Until a year ago we were with Supanet. Average performance. However when offered a deal by BT for the telephone and internet combined it was an opportunity not to be missed, free calls etc and 10 Gbs a month of download.
However listen to Sir Chunky and make sure you get your MAC number. We had a devils own job and it was only after threatening litigation we got it.
Generally the BT system works well for us and does have some other advantages like we can hook into BTfon on the openzone when away etc.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Over the years I've had experience of most ISPs through my involvement in the computer industry, before I retired.

Most do what they claim initially but as they grow then the problems begin, usually with a lack of capacity and then staff who do not have the correct level of knowledge and cannot deviate from their standard script, if they have a problem which is outside the normal "customer error" .
One of the best is Zen, but then you have to pay the appropriate monthly fee which most people would find excessive.
My son-in-law found Plusnet some 10 years ago and has used them to supply his business requirements ever since. I moved over to them some 5 years ago from TT and have no regrets.
They do exactly what it says on the tin!! Have a very helpful UK call centre based in Sheffield and provide a very cost effective full package. My speeds are good at 17Mbps down and 2Mbps up after they upgraded me free when BT installed ADSL2 in my local exchange. The best thing in my opinion is that even though they are part of BT, they have not been integrated into their processes and culture.
Regards

Firkle

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Was with Nildram for some years but left when they were taken over by Tiscali and took on o2 4 years ago. Excellent as get it much cheaper as we have o2 mobile for nearly 25 years, well o2 and Cellnet before it was taken over. Now have Mobile, Broadband and Home Phone through o2 and it is excellent cannot fault anything. Customer service free but 2nd to none. Speed fast and never fails.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts