Home deliveries

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Camel, I wish you hadn’t made a reference to Davenports because I can’t get the song from the tv ads from far far long ago!!!

BP

Reactions: camel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Parky, think their head office was your part of the world,
Yes, about 8 miles away in Birmingham, Camel.
Like many breweries that were around, Ansells, Mitchells & Butlers and local to me Hansons it's a distant memory now

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Parksy

I thought M&B are still going, maybe not as a brewery but I think they are behind one of the pub brands in you area something like Stone gate Taverns?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen any Woosdie.
I used to drink Brew XI back in the day, it was very popular.
Ansells mild ale is still around but the Aston brewery closed.
The bar at Polmanter Touring park had some Ansells mild a couple of years ago, I think that its brewed in Burton on Trent now though.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Parky, I remember that. Brew X1 sorry mate I think I only had one pint of it when I was on a night out in the west mids, but that Ansells was very nice,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If the landlord kept his beer right Brew XI was a lovely pint Camel.
It was the beer of choice for young dudes before cold draught lager became really popular.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
If the landlord kept his beer right Brew XI was a lovely pint Camel.
It was the beer of choice for young dudes before cold draught lager became really popular.
Always remember on a night out at Shepherds Bush and I had a walk down in to Weet Kensington I went in this pub and said a pint of that which was SKOL lager, I paid a quid for that pint back home it was 55p a pint,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Always remember on a night out at Shepherds Bush and I had a walk down in to Weet Kensington I went in this pub and said a pint of that which was SKOL lager, I paid a quid for that pint back home it was 55p a pint,
I was on a night out at White City / Shepherds Bush lorry park and as a few of us were heading to the green for a pint we saw the stars coming out of the stage door of the theater where Wogan was broadcast from.
We saw Kate Bush and Victoria Principal off Dallas come out.
We never saw that at the Tunnel Motel, my usual London stopover near to the Blackwall tunnel, but at least it had it's own bar.
Can't remember what beer they sold though, Watneys I think.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I was on a night out at White City / Shepherds Bush lorry park and as a few of us were heading to the green for a pint we saw the stars coming out of the stage door of the theater where Wogan was broadcast from.
We saw Kate Bush and Victoria Principal off Dallas come out.
We never saw that at the Tunnel Motel, my usual London stopover near to the Blackwall tunnel, but at least it had it's own bar.
Can't remember what beer they sold though, Watneys I think.
I always remembering being in the bush pub and the cast from 'It aint half hot mum' came kn Windsor D avis certainly like his pint of bitter, on another occasion I ended up in the BBC theatre watching James Burke (do you rememder him) doing his programme based on science, another. character I saw in one of the pubs on sherpherds bush green was the guy from the James Bond film "Odd Job" he was only short but I thought I better not tell him that,

Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
At one time lorries could park up behind Spitalfields market hall for a night out in the east end.
Over the road from the market hall was the Jack the Ripper pub ( since renamed) where drivers who were looked upon favourably by the pub landladybcould get a meal and a shower.
There were some lovely old pubs around Whitechapel, Bishopsgate and Bethnal Green in those days.
I wouldn't like to be driving lorries now. 😶

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
M and B still exists but as a number of chains. Toby Carvery to Miller and Carter. If you are a member of the AA you can get a discount in most M and B places. Davenports also had a few pubs. I was thrown out of the Blackhorse in Northfield Birmingham. (Cant remember why!!!!) Just had a bottle of real ale with evening meal. Hobsons Postman's Plum Porter 5%. Excellent.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The name probably lives on but Mitchell's and Butler no longer brew any beer. Their Cape Hill brewery is now a housing estate.
I enjoy the guest ales in my local, so no doubt I'll appreciate that first draught beer all the more when the pubs reopen.
I rarely drink at home but after reading and reminiscing here I might open a bottle of cabernet or merlot, or perhaps sample a large G & T 🍷

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Us South London boys drank Bass Charrington or Young’s Ordinary. All gone. Watneys? Remember the joke about a young couple in a punt? Thank goodness we have had Camra for a number of years and many micro breweries have sprung up. Working in London the Truman brewery in Brick Lane was good. Anyone seen Newcastle Brown Ale in the bottles?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Us South London boys drank Bass Charrington or Young’s Ordinary. All gone. Watneys? Remember the joke about a young couple in a punt? Thank goodness we have had Camra for a number of years and many micro breweries have sprung up. Working in London the Truman brewery in Brick Lane was good. Anyone seen Newcastle Brown Ale in the bottles?
I used to pass by the Trumans brewery quite often back in the day DD.
Drinking Newcastle Brown straight from the bottle became the done thing amongst the hairy's around Dudley in the late 60s.
In those days, two or three of them and I was feeling no pain 😜

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the topic of home deliveries we used to have Corona lemonade and other fizzy flavours delivered. But today that would be a marketing directors worst nightmare. As teenagers we were addicted to the local Leicester brewery, Everards. I say no more 🤔

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As we are reminiscing a little, my first 18 years of life were spent living 150 yds from the Stirrup cup pub in sheldon, Birmingham, from the age of 10 ish until 14 ish the landlord had 2 sons the same age, there was a room there that was only used on Saturday evening for the weekly singalong, the 2 lads who lived at the pub were very popular and the room was used for 6 days a week as a play ground for probably 8 young lads, even at our tender age we got the taste for a beer or two, it sounds pretty revolting now but our tipple of choice was whatever drip tray had some in, the landlord would lock up after lunchtime session and not empty the drip trays until getting ready for evening opening, any still left in the drip trays then would be poured in to the M&B mild, a practice used by all pubs that eventually got banned due to health and safety I assume, never did any of us boys any harm, a popular drink I seem to remember was brown and mild which was half mild and a bottle of Mann’s brown, happy happy days.

BP

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Both my father and uncle were pub landlords so from when I was about 15 I was allowed to sample half a pint of Banks's mild, or a pint of mild and vimto.
The latter tipple was for trainee drinkers until we were weaned onto the real stuff.
Mackeson and Vimto was also very nice but harder to come by.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Remember my first pint of Bank's it was I think in a pub in Wordsley by the canal over the canal bridge was an engineering company "Robert. bros", we went to collect a eighty foot pressure vessel to go to Winsford after loading the boss took us in the pub for only one pint, beautiful,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As we are reminiscing a little, my first 18 years of life were spent living 150 yds from the Stirrup cup pub in sheldon, Birmingham, from the age of 10 ish until 14 ish the landlord had 2 sons the same age, there was a room there that was only used on Saturday evening for the weekly singalong, the 2 lads who lived at the pub were very popular and the room was used for 6 days a week as a play ground for probably 8 young lads, even at our tender age we got the taste for a beer or two, it sounds pretty revolting now but our tipple of choice was whatever drip tray had some in, the landlord would lock up after lunchtime session and not empty the drip trays until getting ready for evening opening, any still left in the drip trays then would be poured in to the M&B mild, a practice used by all pubs that eventually got banned due to health and safety I assume, never did any of us boys any harm, a popular drink I seem to remember was brown and mild which was half mild and a bottle of Mann’s brown, happy happy days.

BP
I spent first 18 years in Stechford,cant't understand why so many of us left

• Haha
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I used to go to Stechford baths in summer holidays, we would be there every day and usually got in free by climbing wall/fence around the outdoor pool, wearing just our trunks, good days, I had lots of mates in stechford, my brother in laws dad had a butchers shop and a green grocers right opposite the baths, I think it was just called Dangerfields Butchers, such a long time ago it’s only when something jogs a distant memory you think about it. I moved to daventry due to getting married and easy to get a house there, getting the house is a tale in itself for another day.

BP

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I spent first 18 years in Stechford,cant't understand why so many of us left
I used to go to Stechford baths in summer holidays, we would be there every day and usually got in free by climbing wall/fence around the outdoor pool, wearing just our trunks, good days, I had lots of mates in stechford, my brother in laws dad had a butchers shop and a green grocers right opposite the baths, I think it was just called Dangerfields Butchers, such a long time ago it’s only when something jogs a distant memory you think about it. I moved to daventry due to getting married and easy to get a house there, getting the house is a tale in itself for another day.

BP
When I got married in 1974 (to my now ex wife) we bought a house in Hobmoor Rd, Yardley near to the Yew Tree pub.
We sometimes had a walk through Stetchford to visit her relatives in Shard End where we'd have drink in the Black Cat.
I sometimes went to the Mackadown in Kitts Green on Sunday lunchtime with my Brummie mates (I'm from the Black Country) but I'll draw a discrete veil over that 😉

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts