Home deliveries

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Remember my first pint of Bank's it was I think in a pub in Wordsley by the canal over the canal bridge was an engineering company "Robert. bros", we went to collect a eighty foot pressure vessel to go to Winsford after loading the boss took us in the pub for only one pint, beautiful,
Yes, the Wolverhampton and Dudley brewery is still there not far from the Molineux.
The beer is marketed as Marstons nowadays but most of the old tied houses are owned by Punch Taverns.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sitting in the Lounge bar of Hutcheon Towers, waiting for the Indian dinner delivery. Thinking about Newkey Brown didn't it come with a Red, or Brown star.?

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to go to Stechford baths in summer holidays, we would be there every day and usually got in free by climbing wall/fence around the outdoor pool, wearing just our trunks, good days, I had lots of mates in stechford, my brother in laws dad had a butchers shop and a green grocers right opposite the baths, I think it was just called Dangerfields Butchers, such a long time ago it’s only when something jogs a distant memory you think about it. I moved to daventry due to getting married and easy to get a house there, getting the house is a tale in itself for another day.

BP
We used to get in free because we all had a lifesaving certificate, so would spend nearly all day there in the summer, mind you the certificate only qualified us to recover a rubber brick from the deep end, moved to Sussex because of dad's job, and ended up in Wiltshire by way of Gloucestershire, went back recently and visited the Back to Backs in Birmingham ,brought back a lot of happy memories.

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
All the pubs you mention I have visited many a time, as for the mackadown there was the Mackadown pub and also mackadown club I was a regular at the club, most times there would be a fight at the end of the night but nothing too violent in them days just fists and occasionally a kick, not like today where knives are the norm, how about the cabin pub at the radleys did you ever get in there? It was probably no more than a mile or two from mackadown.
i know Hobmoor Road well as my brother was a milk man whose round covered all along hobmoor

Reactions: camel
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was an avid viewer of the Peaky Blinders series as I was born in small heath in watery lane which in the series was where the shelbys lived, I’m aware the details of peaky blinders was largely fictional but small heath was without doubt an area of Birmingham that in the mid 50‘s was best avoided, I left Birmingham in around 74 and it was still a lawless area to be well avoided.

BP

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
All the pubs you mention I have visited many a time, as for the mackadown there was the Mackadown pub and also mackadown club I was a regular at the club, most times there would be a fight at the end of the night but nothing too violent in them days just fists and occasionally a kick, not like today where knives are the norm, how about the cabin pub at the radleys did you ever get in there? It was probably no more than a mile or two from mackadown.
i know Hobmoor Road well as my brother was a milk man whose round covered all along hobmoor
I used to have a drink with a big guy who was the doorman at the Hobmoor pub, he lived on one of the estates just off the main road.
I couldn't afford a car in those days, I had a motorbike, and our pub crawls were done on Shanks's Pony or by bus.
Arthur the bouncer knew all of the pubs so there's a good chance that I visited The Cabin in one of our jaunts.
If I was out with the bride ( who was a Brummie) I used the Ring Of Bells down toward Yardley Wood. I enjoyed my time as an 'acting Brummie' but moved home to the Black Country later on to be closer to our families when kids of our own arrived.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was an avid viewer of the Peaky Blinders series as I was born in small heath in watery lane which in the series was where the shelbys lived, I’m aware the details of peaky blinders was largely fictional but small heath was without doubt an area of Birmingham that in the mid 50‘s was best avoided, I left Birmingham in around 74 and it was still a lawless area to be well avoided.

BP
I used to travel to work on my motorcycle down Hobmoor Road onto Green Lane, onto the Coventry Road and I'd turn right just past St Andrews to get across Garrison Lane to Walsall Road.
There was a long row of terraced houses on the steeply sloping street and morning and evening without fail this great big dog used to come tearing out of an entry to chase my motorbike along the road.
Sometimes the brute would lull me into a false sense of security by waiting behind parked cars further down past his entry, to attack when I thought the danger was past.
That dog must have recognised the sound of my motorbike, he never missed his chance to try to bite my leg. I bet he missed his little game when I moved away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts