Honda CRV Clutch

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I,ve just had to fit a new clutch to my 2010 Honda CRV idTEc .
Luckily under guarantee but only done 42000 miles.
I tow a Bailey Unicorn Seville MTLPM 1433 kg well within towing limits etc.
Apparently it was worn!!
Been towing driving for 50 years without this happening before!
Any suggestions?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Modern clutches don't last like they used - partly from when asbestos stopped being used - but also from the demands on them from high torque diesels.
Dual Mass Flywheels (DMFs) make clutches last longer but DMFs themselves wear out.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Its a fact ,without the asbestos content clutches and brake pads do not have such a long life,Being a rally marshall you see some different kinds of driving in off road situations and have witnesed many rallyers total destroying there clutch on a rally field.The clutch is the conection between engine and gearbox and at all times must be treated with respect,majorety of cars will pull away even with a van on the back on tickover if you use your clutch right.Nowdays i tow with a automatic which 50+ years ago was not something you boasted about, but with modern auto boxes and oil coolers seems to me the way to go.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Have heard from other CRV owners that the clutch do wear out quickly, we was going to buy one of those 4x4 but have stick to our X-trail for a while, Think we will go for the auto next time had two in the past, but not for towing both cars was lovely to drive,
May go for the auto CRV we see later good luck with the second clutch this time. Trevor123

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I too was thinking of replacing my X-trail with a new CRV but was put off by small print in the brochure saying "Maximum towing weights are based on the ability of the car with 2 occupants to restart on a 12% gradient......Extra weight such as additional passengers and luggage should be deducted from the maximum towing weight."
This makes a considerable difference to the max towing weight, and may explain why the clutch isn't up to the job. I'm not sure of the legal or warranty position on this. The auto at 1500kg max tow may only be OK for towing around 1150 in reality when fully laden.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
John Griffiths said:
"Maximum towing weights are based on the ability of the car with 2 occupants to restart on a 12% gradient......Extra weight such as additional passengers and luggage should be deducted from the maximum towing weight."
You'll probably find that disclaimer in the sales brochure for every car of every brand.
The acid test is to check the VIN plate and deduct Maximum Authorised Mass ( MAM or MAW) from the Gross Train Weight (GTW) as you can tow that resulting figure fully laden - in fact you can increase that calculated weight by the noseweight as that's within the car's weight.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
RogerL said:
John Griffiths said:
"Maximum towing weights are based on the ability of the car with 2 occupants to restart on a 12% gradient......Extra weight such as additional passengers and luggage should be deducted from the maximum towing weight."
You'll probably find that disclaimer in the sales brochure for every car of every brand.
The acid test is to check the VIN plate and deduct Maximum Authorised Mass ( MAM or MAW) from the Gross Train Weight (GTW) as you can tow that resulting figure fully laden - in fact you can increase that calculated weight by the noseweight as that's within the car's weight.
I can accept that is the legal position, but it just makes me think that Honda is being cautious about the towing ability, and might refuse warranty repairs on a clutch say if you had exceeded their recommendations.
In addition, I have checked various similar brochures as I have been looking around for a new car and can say there is no similar disclaimer for :-
Nissan X-Trail
Skoda Superb
Kia Sportage
Hyundai Santa Fe
Citroen C-Crosser.
In fact the only similar disclaimer I can find is in an old Vauxhall Zafira brochure, which I can understand really, as it was basically an Astra, with an expanded bodywork and carrying capacity.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
RogerL said:
John Griffiths said:
I accept it's not as common as I thought - it didn't just apply to Zafira, it applied to all Vauxhalls from the '70s onwards - but they could still tow that published weight at full load because that was the difference between GTW and MAM.
My point about the acid test remains.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
RogerL said:
I accept it's not as common as I thought - it didn't just apply to Zafira, it applied to all Vauxhalls from the '70s onwards - but they could still tow that published weight at full load because that was the difference between GTW and MAM.
My point about the acid test remains.

Perhaps I'm a bit more cynical than you, and perhaps I do spend far more of my time reading small print than is good for me, but they wouldn't waste ink and effort printing this if it was as meaningless as you think. With my caravan weighing in at 1495, there is simply no reason for me to risk buying the CRV auto which legally could pull 1500, when they issue a proviso that I should only carry two passengers and no other luggage. You may take the view that's its only the small print, but what would happen if I was recovered to a main dealer with a failed transmission, the caravan attached and the boot full?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To answer your question, I use the towing limit as calculated from the VIN plate, rather than the sales brochure figure. It needs a mention that the 12% gradient towing limit isn't universal - many European vehicles have different limits at several gradients, ie both 8% and 12% gradients to reflect the difference between the flat Netherlands and mountainous Alps.
The transmissions fitted to some vehicles simply aren't suitable for substantial towing. If a vehicle's towing limit is lower than it's kerbweight, I personally regard it as unsuitable for serious towing but not everyone can afford to be so pragmatic

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
The clutch went on our Kia Sportage 2.0l crdi xe 2009, it had under 25000 on clock, that was in April, it cost us £711.14 not on warranty,(even though its a known problem on Kias) my driving style blamed, the clutch slipped, even when not towing. Needless to say, we got rid of it, after numerous other problems, we had the friday night Sportage.

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
We have had two Honda Cr-v's , 2007 and then the updated one in 2010 and have not suffered clutch , or any other pblems in either, although we have not used either to very high mileage.It is worth noting that compared to many of it's competitors boasting similar engine size, the Cr-v has fairly modest engine output, and I suspect this may be a ploy by Honda to defend the car from higher stresses and keep their good reliability record. Though not the most powerful of tow cars, I think the Cr-V is a good compromise for towing and solo travel, and I is as comfortable as any of them, and more so than most- and not too expensive to run. Yes I would have preferred the auto, but for the reasons outlined by the other postings, opted for the manual .

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel automatic purchased new in Nov 2011. Apart from touring down to Cornwall from Rutland and other trips, we went on a months tour of the French Alps last summer with our 1340 kg (max wt) van. The temperatures were up to 30 deg at times and at no time did the car temperature gauge rise or any warning lights come on. We travelled at all speeds on all types of roads. Hill starts, S-bends, motorways, etc, etc. it really was a hard test. Better than the diesel Xtrail I had over 8 years (also from new) and that was excellent

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts