Honda CRV later models

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone experience of the more recent Honda CRV models. In particular the CRV 1.5 turbo AWD, and the subsequent 2.0 I-MMD AWD hybrid. But not the new CRV with that awful front end. We are thinking upsizing one of our cars. Our son is pushing the new Dacia Duster arriving soon but I'm not certain it will give more carrying capacity based on its length being similar to the current outgoing model. No plans to tow anything so just solo usage.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Upsizing for more passenger space or pure carrying capacity?
Honda has always been well engineered . Dacia is French of course with roots in Renault and Nissan, both pretty good. People used to laugh at SkodašŸ™€Now look at themšŸ˜Ž.
A friend recently ditched the second car and bought a Fiat Doblo van! More carrying capacity

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Upsizing for more passenger space or pure carrying capacity?
Honda has always been well engineered . Dacia is French of course with roots in Renault and Nissan, both pretty good. People used to laugh at SkodašŸ™€Now look at themšŸ˜Ž.
A friend recently ditched the second car and bought a Fiat Doblo van! More carrying capacity
More passenger space plus extra luggage space too. Higher ride height could be useful on our ageing frames for entry and exit. The Dusters are sold worldwide into some tough environments. I came across them in Bhutan where they were badged Nissan Terrano and they were used to drive tourists around the country on roads that make ours look silky. My son has recently sold his 08 Freelander 2 that gave him sterling service in 16 years but the rust bug was appearing and it was moving towards some expensive jobs. But he also felt like a change and heā€™s bought a Duster. Must say itā€™s a better drive than I would have given credit for. Somewhat Spartan inside but easy clean and durable. The new one is getting very good reviews, with good deals on the outgoing model too. Our long term plan was to go EV in 2025 but prices are too high and an ICE/hybrid better meets our needs.

However I am not one to rush decisions so this thread could be going in 12=months time.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we were looking for a car a few weeks ago, we avoided cars that were hybrid. Not an easy task as the brands that we preferred seemed to have switch to hybrids only. Gave up and kept our current vehicle. The Duster did appeal to us and may do so in future unless it goes hybrid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we were looking for a car a few weeks ago, we avoided cars that were hybrid. Not an easy task as the brands that we preferred seemed to have switch to hybrids only. Gave up and kept our current vehicle. The Duster did appeal to us and may do so in future unless it goes hybrid.
You wonā€™t be buying the new Duster then. Canā€™t see your objection to hybrids. Does it include SC and PHEV? My daughter has a Corolla SC and itā€™s a cracking car halved her fuel bill compared to her previous 1.6 Focus auto.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You wonā€™t be buying the new Duster then. Canā€™t see your objection to hybrids. Does it include SC and PHEV? My daughter has a Corolla SC and itā€™s a cracking car halved her fuel bill compared to her previous 1.6 Focus auto.
Just personal preference and probably the fact that hybrids using a batteries as a means to travel will probably become part of history in the next 10 years. Would you buy a 6 year old hybrid not knowing how long that hybrid battery is going to last?

We were looking at second hand cars under 3 years old. Even old 15 year old ICE vehicles which were selling for under Ā£2000 are now selling for almost double the price. For example try buying a 10 year old Landcruiser in good condition for under Ā£25. There is still a big demand for ICE only cars. Another personal example. We paid Ā£850 for our Corolla in 2012. If we sold it tomorrow we would get back every penny plus interest. :D

As said just personal preference and nothing against anyone who wants to invest in a hybrid or EV. Good luck to them. (y) :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A Golf hybrid costs Ā£8,500 more than its petrol sibling.
Predominately town use will result in substantial fuel savings and of course less pollution.
There appears to be an antipathy to second hand EVs and hybrids that may cause a higher than expected depreciation.
If I commuted daily within say a 10/15 mile radius I may be tempted. Living in the country not for me but I can see the attraction for some who want to be green and donā€™t use the car much

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A Golf hybrid costs Ā£8,500 more than its petrol sibling.
Predominately town use will result in substantial fuel savings and of course less pollution.
There appears to be an antipathy to second hand EVs and hybrids that may cause a higher than expected depreciation.
If I commuted daily within say a 10/15 mile radius I may be tempted. Living in the country not for me but I can see the attraction for some who want to be green and donā€™t use the car much
We hardly ever go into busy stop go town areas as we live in a rural area. Our nearest supermarket is 10 miles away and mostly open A road with about 4 miles on D class roads. LOL!

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
More passenger space plus extra luggage space too. Higher ride height could be useful on our ageing frames for entry and exit. The Dusters are sold worldwide into some tough environments. I came across them in Bhutan where they were badged Nissan Terrano and they were used to drive tourists around the country on roads that make ours look silky. My son has recently sold his 08 Freelander 2 that gave him sterling service in 16 years but the rust bug was appearing and it was moving towards some expensive jobs. But he also felt like a change and heā€™s bought a Duster. Must say itā€™s a better drive than I would have given credit for. Somewhat Spartan inside but easy clean and durable. The new one is getting very good reviews, with good deals on the outgoing model too. Our long term plan was to go EV in 2025 but prices are too high and an ICE/hybrid better meets our needs.

However I am not one to rush decisions so this thread could be going in 12=months time.
There are some amazing deals on used, new and nearly new EVs right now. Have a look on auto trader. The Mokka E and 2008 E might make sense?

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There was an article about which cars spend the shortest time in ownership and it was the Tesla. However the figures are skewed as most Teslas' are bought on lease.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There was an article about which cars spend the shortest time in ownership and it was the Tesla. However the figures are skewed as most Teslas' are bought on lease.
My grandson no longer had his Tesla Y AWD as he has changed jobs and his new job is mainly WFH with a couple of days in office. So a 9 month old Tesla back on the market. They have a 5 series PHEV so in the event they need a second set of wheels Iā€™ve insured our Rio for him, which he drove to Manchester to see the northern end of the family. Hence the new Goodyear tyres going on the Rio runabout.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems one of the main reasons for the drop in value of EV's, is becasue it was tree or four years ago that large fleet and lease operators started to buy EV's. Those leases are now coming to an end and so there are many used but in good condition EV's now on the secondhand market.

The larger operators have reported that the reliability of the EV's batteries have been very good, but as many of the models were new models, there have been other fault issues which has affected the overall reliability of EV's has not been as good as many pundits including my self had hoped. But the issues have not generally been related to the the motive battery or the motors which have actually been more reliable than anticipated, its been the other systems related to teething problems as typical with many new model introductions. This has resulted in many repairs taking longer whilst parts and or knowledge were slowly obtained.

The flood of SH EV's and some new cars from mainly Chinese manufactures at significantly lower prices has attracted buyers and reduced new car sales from traditional manufacturers, who have responded by reducing new car prices.

At last there are some real EV choices for new and secondhand buyers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Following a change of job internally my son has gone from a Vauxhall Vivaro , temporarily a Kia EV and now a new Volvo XC40.
The Vivaro was severely limited on range circa 120 miles using full heat and or aircon, otherwise he could squeeze 150 but it was always ā€œtightā€ . But it is a service van and in fairness not designed from distance work.
The Kia was good but the Volvo is amazing. Couldnā€™t quite do the 220 from North Wiltshire to Harrogate in one go. Just needed. 30 minute boost near Sheffield.
Open the bonnet and just a flat bed holding the Jack and washer filler.
The sat nav is light years ahead showing all the super fast chargers where he should stop etc. And deceptively a large SUV ,bigger than I was expecting.
Tyre wear will be interesting, we shall see.
Still not for me as it doesnā€™t suit our towing. If the used prices continue to drop , as a second car I may be persuaded.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our SIL has a late model top of the range Honda CRV and the maximum range on battery only is about 35 miles. Again they live in a rural area and he commutes to work having the battery hybrid is a bit pointless.

His workplace is about 28 miles from home along back "A" roads and there is no need for him to enter an urban area. However it is a very nice vehicle even if he hardly ever uses the battery function for which he paid. Like having a shower cubicle in a caravan and never using it. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
o
Our SIL has a late model top of the range Honda CRV and the maximum range on battery only is about 35 miles. Again they live in a rural area and he commutes to work having the battery hybrid is a bit pointless.

His workplace is about 28 miles from home along back "A" roads and there is no need for him to enter an urban area. However it is a very nice vehicle even if he hardly ever uses the battery function for which he paid. Like having a shower cubicle in a caravan and never using it. :D
You can normally run a hybrid where the battery power works in conjunction with the ICE thus improving your overall mpg on non urban routes. 35 miles electric range would be very useful to us.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
o

You can normally run a hybrid where the battery power works in conjunction with the ICE thus improving your overall mpg on non urban routes. 35 miles electric range would be very useful to us.
Much nicer car than any Duster. If you live in a urban area then the 35 miles would be very useful. If we had no choice except to buy a hybrid we would look at Toyota. BTW when on petrol the mpg of the CRV is not much different to our 3L Jeep CRD.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Much nicer car than any Duster. If you live in an urban area then the 35 miles would be very useful. If we had no choice except to buy a hybrid we would look at Toyota. BTW when on petrol the mpg of the CRV is not much different to our 3L Jeep CRD.
Please donā€™t dig at those who own Dusters. There was one member on the Forum, Jezzer, who towed a good sized outfit with a Generation 1 Duster without any car related issues. Might be worth reading up on reviews of the new Duster. Some of the other manufacturers will be taking note, although it doesnā€™t have towing high on its specification list.

WRT your SILs CRV if itā€™s not charged each evening then he will not get maximum economy from its PHEV system. In non urban areas its system will use battery power to improve mpg providing its charged . One problem with owners expressing disappointment is failure to charge the PHEV. hence spending more time than required on ICE. Also PHEV will regenerate on a journey but not to give full battery power. Perhaps your SIL might have been better having a ICE or EV given his driving profile.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Please donā€™t dig at those who own Dusters. There was one member on the Forum, Jezzer, who towed a good sized outfit with a Generation 1 Duster without any car related issues. Might be worth reading up on reviews of the new Duster. Some of the other manufacturers will be taking note, although it doesnā€™t have towing high on its specification list.

WRT your SILs CRV if itā€™s not charged each evening then he will not get maximum economy from its PHEV system. In non urban areas its system will use battery power to improve mpg providing its charged . One problem with owners expressing disappointment is failure to charge the PHEV. hence spending more time than required on ICE. Also PHEV will regenerate on a journey but not to give full battery power. Perhaps your SIL might have been better having a ICE or EV given his driving profile.
No dig at Dusters as good value for money. SIL's car is not PHEV CRV so no need to charge it every evening. It is only a straight hybrid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No dig at Dusters as good value for money. SIL's car is not PHEV CRV so no need to charge it every evening. It is only a straight hybrid.
I am surprised that your SIL gets 35 miles on battery with the non plug in hybrid as its battery size is only just over 1kw, whereas the PHEV variant has a 17kw battery and a claimed 50 miles on battery alone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am surprised that your SIL gets 35 miles on battery with the non plug in hybrid as its battery size is only just over 1kw, whereas the PHEV variant has a 17kw battery and a claimed 50 miles on battery alone.
I don't think he has ever tried it and is probably going by the marketing literature. However if the weight of the battery were removed the mpg would probably increase and get more on a tankful than the 35 miles the battery may offer? Just my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts