Honey!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I find that the pouring honey, once opened, will crystallise quite quickly which is not nice, but no doubt harmless. But honey is supposed to keep forever. I guess it's oxidation.

John

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Preserving in sugar is a known way to extend shelf life - it's why jams happened and why fruits are often stored in syrup. The high sugar content causes dehydration of organic cells, including microbes. I'd guess that honey ought to last a long time in a sealed container. And is the "expiry date" a "use by" or "best before"? We generally take either of these as a guide and rely on our own senses (and desperation to eat) to determine if/when we eat or dispose of something. Still here.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I used to wonder why bottled water from an ancient source had a use by date? Learnt it was not about the water itself but the risk of the potential integrity of the bottle. Unlikely to ever be an issue, but suppliers keeping themselves covered.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I used to wonder why bottled water from an ancient source had a use by date? Learnt it was not about the water itself but the risk of the potential integrity of the bottle. Unlikely to ever be an issue, but suppliers keeping themselves covered.
Many of us were alive before "best before" or "use by" dates were invented - but people then had enough common sense not to get into trouble - why do modern people need to be nannied by the state so much.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Many of us were alive before "best before" or "use by" dates were invented - but people then had enough common sense not to get into trouble - why do modern people need to be nannied by the state so much.
So true RogerL, Lyons golden Syrup and treacle, Local honey They never go off,
Milk and bacon sniff it, and if in dought, about meat let the dog have a bit,
Beer well thats different, you can tell within 10 minutes if its off. 🍻

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Honey has strong anti bacterial properties and in medieval times was the medication of choice to treat arrow and other types of skin wounds.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Honey has strong anti bacterial properties and in medieval times was the medication of choice to treat arrow and other types of skin wounds.
OC, what a great memory you must have.
But it is all true.
If I had a broken skin wound, ie, fell into the Blackberry bush eating the berries, my mum would always say let the dog lick the wound and then put some honey on it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC, what a great memory you must have.
But it is all true.
If I had a broken skin wound, ie, fell into the Blackberry bush eating the berries, my mum would always say let the dog lick the wound and then put some honey on it.
Not so sure about the “dogs” contribution. But when I kept bees wounds would be dressed with Savlon in order to conserve the honey for making into mead. 🤣

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Always thought Honey was never out of date. My Grandfather kept bees, remember he had a copper centrifuge and he would give me some of the honeycomb for me to chew on, was not very clean looking,. would be chewing for ages before spitting it out

TRENDING THREADS